225327 Bullies, 4154 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 7:21pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to learn army combatives or do MMA in a different context, and don't want to do full time military service, the National Guard is a great way into that.

The trick is, you need to pick a combat arms MOS, Infantry especially, if you want to get the most opportunities to play. That, or Military Police.

Side note, level 1 combatives teaches the "Gracie Gift" guard pass. Everyone ignores it right after they go to level 2.

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 8:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I mean why not target the "meatheads?" ****, they can cage fight, earn a paycheck and shoot guns. Why not hit that large demographic?
    When I was younger and had less to live for I was talking to recruiters on the basis that I had a shite dead end job and thought it would be cool to excersise and shoot guns all day for pay + room and board.

Another loosley related thread that came up on gunsnet years ago started out with "OMG, Cholo Gang Bangers Are Joining the Marine Corps"

To which one of the members from the beautiful "Parris Island Preperatory School For Fine Young Gentlemen" responded with;

"We love cholos. They come from a macho, physically conscious, strictly hierarchical culture which holds respect in the utmost regard and they love to fight. They even come with the right haircut."

Some people need to join the army...

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 11:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This seems like a good place to ask this?
    What are the chief differences between the National Guard and the Army reserves.
    A side from the National Guard being called up for state emergencies and being eligible for state and federal money for college.
    I also read something about National Guard being eligible for combat MOS where as the reserve isn't any truth to that?

Posted On:
    10/27/2012 7:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reserves are a federal reserve component of the Army, the guard is a state reserve component. Most of the time this is a distinction without a difference; both do weekend drills and two weeks of training each year, both can be activated and deployed. The guard is a state assest though and can be activated by the govenor for state emergencies; disasters, civil unrest. The guard can have better education benefits (in NJ you can attend state colleges free for a certain number of credits per semester).

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    10/27/2012 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    If you want to learn army combatives or do MMA in a different context, and don't want to do full time military service, the National Guard is a great way into that.

The trick is, you need to pick a combat arms MOS, Infantry especially, if you want to get the most opportunities to play. That, or Military Police.

Side note, level 1 combatives teaches the "Gracie Gift" guard pass. Everyone ignores it right after they go to level 2.

When I was in the Border Patrol Academy, the DT instructor was demonstrating the "Gracie Gift" pass on a student. I guess that the student already had some training, because he immediately triangled the instructor in front of the class. Then we all know that the pass was no good.

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    10/27/2012 10:52am

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was very close to joining the Guard CID. I called the unit in Austin and found out that I'd be deploying as soon as I finished CID school. I had to really think that over, and decided against it.

Posted On:
    10/27/2012 11:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    This seems like a good place to ask this?
    What are the chief differences between the National Guard and the Army reserves.
    A side from the National Guard being called up for state emergencies and being eligible for state and federal money for college.
    I also read something about National Guard being eligible for combat MOS where as the reserve isn't any truth to that?
    The AR is a support element with only Combat Support and Combat Service Support jobs.

The NG has actual Infantry, Artillery, Armor, etc.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    11/01/2012 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Loosely related, why the **** does the national guard even exist? Like, don't the army and marines already have "guys with guns" pretty well covered?
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    11/01/2012 12:44pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Get in the Ring join the guard

Aside from the fact that any military needs a strategic reserve? Well, dozens of reasons, including that a citizen militia has a greater interest in responding to local threats, communities with part time soldiers are more invested in the consequences of going to war, and the whole Posse Comitatus thing.

Tapatalk

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/01/2012 12:53pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Loosely related, why the **** does the national guard even exist? Like, don't the army and marines already have "guys with guns" pretty well covered?
    Marines don't have time to shoot hipsters with a fire hose, even though they'd give a year's salary for the opportunity.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast