10/31/2012 9:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Battles fought nearby

Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    The Seminoles were badass.
    I remember reading one account related by a group of conquistadors that had ventured into their territory.
    The Spainards were confronted by a group of Seminole warriors who beat them back and forced them to retreat by boat; the Seminoles pursued them for a while in their canoes - but it soon became apparent to them that the Spanish were going to get away.
    As the conquistadors sped off, a translator relayed the words they shouted out to them
    " If we had such large canoes as yours, we would follow you to your land and conquer it ! For we too are men like yourselves !!"
    That always stuck out in my mind.
    That's pretty bad ass!! Just the mindset alone.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    11/01/2012 12:43am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not many battles have been fought on Australian soil, however, where I went to school there was a major convict uprising:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_...vict_rebellion
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2012 2:06am

Style: judo, -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was that dude in an improvised armor... That was awesome.

Posted On:
    11/01/2012 2:10am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ned Kelly. Bushranger.

Bushrangers were badcore. Ned wasn't even the worst of them.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    11/01/2012 3:18am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Not many battles have been fought on Australian soil, however, where I went to school there was a major convict uprising:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_...vict_rebellion
    Nice link to the 1798 Rebellion in Ireland

Posted On:
    11/01/2012 3:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Let's be serious though. Even given ships capable of crossing the Atlantic, they'd have got mullered by a combo of disease and tech once they got to Europe.
    Also, had native americans similar technology than europeans had at that time they would have to face a serious logistical problem. Where to establish a lodgement equivalent to caribbean islands used by europeans? British Isles? Which route? Gulf stream for arriving Ireland and back home via Iceland, Greenland and Terranova?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2012 4:08am

Style: judo, -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, they never seriously tried, but they were awesome none the less. Besides those conquistadores must have seriously pissed them off. I'd like to know how :-).

There are at least two funny and interesting village names in our Country. One is close by. It's called Obrne (turning back) and the other is Huda južna (awful lunch). Both connected to Turkish raids.

At Obrne the gorge which leads to Bohinj valley starts. It's long and tight. So the Turks said 'Nothing there for us' and turned back and the settlements in the valley were spared.

Huda južna... well you guessed it. They came during lunch.

Interesting facts:

The raids started at 1408 and lasted till 1593 when they were decisively beaten at Sisak, Croatia.

Close to my home in the woods is a cave where peasants took refuge. This is another special feature of our landscape. There are many caves, holes, grottoes in the earth, and those who had the time could flee to them - others could try and make it for the church, castle, monastery or just die or get captured. Some -like this one- have walled entrance just in case, but it's so hidden, I didn't find it the last time we went looking for it though it's just about 30 meters from a road on the hill where we left the car.

Oh - and just as Judoka uk said, we also have rich continuity under our feet. Peasants sometimes find stone age tools while they plow fields, there's a shitload of Roman ruins, when the road was repaired there were Slavic graves from the fall of Roman empire era...

Posted On:
    11/02/2012 1:36pm

Style: mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back to Baltimore, August 1588.

Spain sent an armada to attack England. Things didn't go to well for Spain and they lost 50 out of the 130 ships they sent out.

Many of these ships were wrecked off the coast of Cork, and so many Spanish sailors were pulled out of the sea around Baltimore that a townland (parish) was named Spain.

There are still many swarthy, curley haired people that live in the area, and there are still strong links between Baltimore and spanish fishing boats

Posted On:
    11/02/2012 5:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    There are still many swarthy, curley haired people that live in the area, and there are still strong links between Baltimore and spanish fishing boats
    One of my grandparents used to fish there. I'm not going to ellaborate on smuggled whiskey, tea, nylon panties, toys and other goods .

Posted On:
    11/02/2012 5:54pm

hall of famestaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Groton_Heights

About 20 miles from my house.

Former American General and Traitor Benedict Arnold led a team of two British regiments (one of which was a loyalist militia) against New London and Groton which were divided by the Thames River. (Did I mention in my part of Connecticut they stole every English placename that was not tied down?)

So the English seize New London which is on a flat plain with few problems. But its a steep slope up to Fort Griswold, and Colonel Ledyard and his 600 militia decide to try to fight it out from behind embankments. The British suffer about 190 casulties, so once they get over the side of the fort they run Ledyard through with a sword, and start killing the surrendered militia members. They also burned New London to the ground, which if you've ever seen New London you can forgive, I mean its only slightly nicer then Bridgeport CT or Gary Indiana. But the casulties evidently persuaded the English not to press further inland and destroy some more towns and they left by sea.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast