Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 2:14pm

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Diesel so you're a part Seminole - if I understand correctly? Cool. I was always reading those comics about Captain Rogers and later the book Northern passage or what it was... It was disturbing.

---Samsun, ok, we have wiki, but can you share an interesting story not from it or with more facts?????

---Machette, I believe that is called trolling.
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 10/30/2012 2:19pm at .

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 2:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where I grew up you couldn't move without stumbling over a battle ground or significant historical site.

In reverse chronological order:

There's at least 3 World War II airfields within about a 5 mile radius, one of which housed an American B52 squadron. One of the buildings at my old school was a a barrack for Polish fighter pilots and later Polish paratroopers. There was a grave stone to their regimental dog on one of the lawns. And I believe they dug up a crashed Lancaster bomber nearby my village a year or two ago, as well.

A former Napoleonic prisoner of war camp a few miles up the road.

Civil War era battle field.

Quite a lot of Tudor era stuff scattered about here and there.

There was a Jewish pogrom in the 12th century in the nearest town

That town was also the site of an Anglo Saxon - Danish battle field in the 10th century.

**** loads of Roman stuff; A Roman fort and associated town. You can still find bits of Roman pot by wandering around the site of the pottery. A large iron works. Lots of villas and some bathhouses.

Oldest thing is an middling size iron age settlement about 15 miles away.

Great Britain's a small country with a long history of settlement etc... so unless you live on the outer north and western edges of the country you're sitting on several thousand years of history pretty much where-ever you are.

Oh and the one of the former airfields has a earth bank they used to use for zeroing the cannons on the fighters which they've never bothered to clear up so every so often a very rusty possibly unexploded Hurricane/Spitfire round turns up in a dog walkers path. Nowhere near as bad as Belgium or Northern France, but I'd still avoid the place.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    Diesel so you're a part Seminole - if I understand correctly? Cool. I was always reading those comics about Captain Rogers and later the book Northern passage or what it was... It was disturbing.
    Yes, that's coorect, part Seminole. Yeah, there was some pretty nasty stuff done to Native American's in general. But hey, it is what it is.

Quoted from the movie Maveric --"I figure it's their fault too, you know for being on our land before we got here." Love that line! :)
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 3:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Seminoles were badass.
    I remember reading one account related by a group of conquistadors that had ventured into their territory.
    The Spainards were confronted by a group of Seminole warriors who beat them back and forced them to retreat by boat; the Seminoles pursued them for a while in their canoes - but it soon became apparent to them that the Spanish were going to get away.
    As the conquistadors sped off, a translator relayed the words they shouted out to them
    " If we had such large canoes as yours, we would follow you to your land and conquer it ! For we too are men like yourselves !!"
    That always stuck out in my mind.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    " If we had such large canoes as yours, we would follow you to your land and conquer it ! For we too are men like yourselves !!
    My dad's writing a book about that very premise.

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 4:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's be serious though. Even given ships capable of crossing the Atlantic, they'd have got mullered by a combo of disease and tech once they got to Europe.

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 4:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Let's be serious though. Even given ships capable of crossing the Atlantic, they'd have got mullered by a combo of disease and tech once they got to Europe.
    Depends on what time period they did it. There was a time when Cahokia was a bigger urban center than freakin' London, and if they'd used technologies borrowed from the Polynesians (there's some possible interactions with the East Coast South Americans) could've migrated across the Atlantic.

When Native Americans fought colonials, they were quick to adopt the Western technology, so that would've probably happened in the theoretical invasion. Plains Indian used rifles to very good effect by combining them with horsemanship and stealth. Hawaiians fought with Western cannons loaded with lava rocks.

The disease part would still be a huge problem though. History would've had to unfold very differently for the Americans to be the ones bringing crowd diseases.

My dad's book addresses this by having them develop disease resistance and naval navigation from Vikings settled in Newfoundland.

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 4:56pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Depends on what time period they did it. There was a time when Cahokia was a bigger urban center than freakin' London, and if they'd used technologies borrowed from the Polynesians (there's some possible interactions with the East Coast South Americans) could've migrated across the Atlantic.
    Was assuming your scenario was a post-European contact one given previous post.

When Native Americans fought colonials, they were quick to adopt the Western technology, so that would've probably happened in the theoretical invasion. Plains Indian used rifles to very good effect by combining them with horsemanship and stealth. Hawaiians fought with Western cannons loaded with lava rocks.
    Where would they get these guns and cannon from in sufficient numbers to be able launch an invasion? In both the above scenarios they only had western weapons, because they were being invaded by the west. Or are you assuming that they not only have atlantic crossing ships, but 16th century western military tech as well?

The disease part would still be a huge problem though. History would've had to unfold very differently for the Americans to be the ones bringing crowd diseases.
    Probably need a smaller North America.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 5:10pm

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Permalost do tell when the book is out. Well, anyone remembers what yellow fever did to Frenchies - on Santo Domingo I believe? Where L'Aventura fought? Damn, don't have that book here...
    And what a flu did to those invincible tripods?

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 5:51pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Was assuming your scenario was a post-European contact one given previous post.
    Oh yeah, that wouldn't have worked out well for them.

Where would they get these guns and cannon from in sufficient numbers to be able launch an invasion? In both the above scenarios they only had western weapons, because they were being invaded by the west. Or are you assuming that they not only have atlantic crossing ships, but 16th century western military tech as well?
    -from a guy, then two guys, then a group of guys, then an army and so on.

-by trading wonderful New World things. Gold, coffee, tobacco, cocaine solutions etc

Probably need a smaller North America.
    Or a more diverse genetic makeup in its founders, or finding cures to stave off European diseases, like when Europeans used quanine to combat Malaria in the tropics.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    Permalost do tell when the book is out. Well, anyone remembers what yellow fever did to Frenchies - on Santo Domingo I believe? Where L'Aventura fought? Damn, don't have that book here...
    And what a flu did to those invincible tripods?
    I hear mosquitos spreading to European settlers led to the invention of the gin and tonic, since tonic water contain(ed) quanine).

The diseases that Europeans brought to everywhere else were crowd diseases that jumped from domestic animal populations to humans living in close quarters with them (cowpox mutating to chicken pox, for example). These can only develop in populations big enough for such diseases to not wipe out everyone. Pretty much all of these were developed in Eurasia; syphilis being the only one attributed to the New World. There's a somewhat controvercial book called Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond that talks a lot about why Europeans had so many deadly diseases compared to others.
    Last edited by Permalost; 10/31/2012 5:55pm at .
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast