Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 4:14pm

Style: judo, boxing -noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Battles fought nearby

Hello, since I love history and political is kind a... um... boring, I would like to start a thread about battles fought nearby where you live and some of interesting, scary, obscure affrays you or your ancestors were involved in. From small skirmishes where some native Americans scalped a few bluecoats, tribal communities and their settling of disputes to big front lines of mechanized warfare - so even 'My granddad survived Omaha, tee-hee' counts, though I'm thinking more about less known stuff and preferable close to your crib.

I would like to start the thread with small fact of our local history and cast you all back into time of the first world war. When Italy turned its back on the Austro - Hungary and German alliance another front opened in what is now Slovenia. Since it is a pocket country that happened to be about an hour drive from my house.

It was one of the toughest fields fought, perhaps even tougher than Somme or Verdun. Because the lines went over the mountains. At Batognica, the lines were 20 meters apart. Soldiers with bad pedigree went there, in order to be disposed of. Since it was a vital position the Italians started drilling under Austrian lines. They placed a huge mine in an underground chamber. But the drills were heard and Austrian troops made a tunnel to meet them. They found the mine, evacuated and lighted it up. The mountain top was remodeled and it shook for days.

Name:  batognica.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  19.4 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kalminskirov.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	13886

Another problem was snow, which caused much grief in the region. Avalanches took many lives and soldiers even used the snow to set it on the enemy with grenades.

After long and bitter struggle the central forces amassed an army, used the gas and in the fog, natural and poisonous punched through the enemy lines and chased the Italians as far as Piava, where with help of allies the front stabilized to the end. This became known as 'The miracle at Kobarid'.

Some more interesting facts:

Young Erwin Rommel led one of the units.

The most feared warriors among Italians were Bosnians, who used maces like in middle ages - morning stars with spikes and all. If they were captured they were usually shot.

Ernest Hemingway helped Italians run away. He liked it so much he wrote some insignificant book called 'Farewell to arms' or something and was mentioned in Young Indiana Jones.

Name:  granata.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  39.7 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4720455-remainsofwarstil.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	13888

Every now and than someone finds grenade storage and happily blows himself up while defusing that ****. The area is still littered with remains, routes, fortresses, caverns, bunkers,... though much local people scavenged them for iron - they still do. Not long ago there was a fire in the area and they had to put it out from air, since every now and than there was a major 'BOOOM'.

Vasja Klavora wrote many books on the subject, but I don't know if they were translated. I have the 'Koraki skozi meglo - Footsteps through the mist' in my collection. The internet has much pictures and probably much text also for the interested few.

Slovenia lost much territory in those times as we fought for the side which lost. The lesson was learned and in the times of second world war fierce resistance helped push the Brits and Yanks up the Italian boot.

Balkans was the transitional area so everything that wanted to plunder Italy or pillage east, had to go through. This involved the Ottomans, Crusaders, Attila the Hun,........

Next time some stories about partisans, one of them was my grandfather, while my grandmother worked as a spy. After that we shall go to middle ages and perhaps even further back, much goodness awaits. Please share yours with me.

The best metal festival in the world Metalcamp with new name Metaldays is in Tolmin, right beside the graves of some soldiers.
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 10/26/2012 4:37pm at .

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassRecommendation Second Class3 months registered1000 Experience PointsThree Friends

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 4:26pm

Style: Humbleness

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice thread!

Well I live in Montevideo the capital of Uruguay we had a couple of sieges in the 1800's
    and several civil wars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...deo_%281807%29

Being Montevideo the largest city most civil wars here progressed like this

Take the countryside

Siege Montevideo

The sieged party brings foreign allies and all the country loses gold and lands

pro nonsense self defense

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know of anything that epic in my vicinity, but a Hell's Angel member stabbed a Mongol at a taco shop in Hillcrest:
    http://www.10news.com/news/hells-ang...-mongols-biker

And I believe at that very same taco shop, a brawl broke out between a bunch of drag queens:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you yanking my crank? :-)

I'm Svelte!

Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsOverdriveTagger First ClassThree FriendsYour first Group

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 4:56pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About 20 minuits from my house is a place call Site of Ambush, location of a renowned IRA attack on the Black and Tans during Irelands War of Indipendance

Killmichael Ambush

Dramitised in the film The Wind that Shakes the Barley

Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 5:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ken Loach FTW!!!!!!!!! Hollywood sucks!

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 6:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, did a quick web search. Looks like all we've got in this area are "indian wars".

You can read that as "natives massacred horribly via manifest destiny"...

There won't be a concentration of interesting bettle field pickups and unexploded ordinance around any of them. Just really, REALLY bad juju...

Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 7:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see this cliff from my driveway, where the Battle of Nu'uanu ended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nu%CA%BBuanu

...and of course the Attack on Pearl Harbor was close by.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/27/2012 12:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I don't know of anything that epic in my vicinity,
    Yeah I am coming up pretty blank myself, maybe but I don't think so, something during the Spanish American war. Maybe some pre-columbus tribal fights but yeah not too much going on here.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast