• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 4:25pm

Style: Does exercise count?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not a fan of crossfit for a number of reasons, but there are definitely some very solid coaches/trainers out there who like and use crossfit.

If they're teaching olympic lifting it would be nice for them to have some sort of certification or specific continuing education which shows they know their stuff. USAW is the big man on campus for oly lifts, but I believe crossfit has their own internal certs.

As a broad statement I am a big fan of the crossfit mobility stuff out of Mobility Wod with Kelly Starrett. I think he's doing them a HUGE service by adding some movement quality focus to the crossfit brand. Anyone who gives you warm ups related to the workouts you're doing or has one of their whatever the **** they're called mobility certs probably knows more than most within the brand.

Obviously there are people who have no certifications who are brilliant and people with hundreds who are awful. It's not so bad to use pieces of paper as a gross filter though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 6:52pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Good" Crossfit

I started doing CrossFit a couple months ago. I had a couple friends that did it and encouraged me to try it. I also reconnected with an old high school classmate via FB who got big into it and went from fat to jacked.

I enjoy aspects of it, mainly Olympic lifts, and don't care for other aspects (random workouts that make tracking progress difficult). I've noticed my fitness has improved significantly, but some of that is certainly attributable to going from doing nothing on my non BJJ days to doing something.

I'd say give it a try, but be very cautious since quality control is essentially non-existent. You can go to a weekend course, pay a fee, and boom open your own CrossFit affiliate. Take much of the same advice regarding finding a good martial art school and apply it to prospective CrossFit gyms.

Ask about qualifications, first aid and emergency action plans, preparation for entering the workouts, etc. Observe a class. Are there all experience levels or does it look like it's all brand new people? Most of all, use your judgement.

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 9:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz View Post
    I am not a fan of crossfit for a number of reasons, but there are definitely some very solid coaches/trainers out there who like and use crossfit.

If they're teaching olympic lifting it would be nice for them to have some sort of certification or specific continuing education which shows they know their stuff. USAW is the big man on campus for oly lifts, but I believe crossfit has their own internal certs.

As a broad statement I am a big fan of the crossfit mobility stuff out of Mobility Wod with Kelly Starrett. I think he's doing them a HUGE service by adding some movement quality focus to the crossfit brand. Anyone who gives you warm ups related to the workouts you're doing or has one of their whatever the **** they're called mobility certs probably knows more than most within the brand.

Obviously there are people who have no certifications who are brilliant and people with hundreds who are awful. It's not so bad to use pieces of paper as a gross filter though.
    What this guy said.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 8:25am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a Crossfit Trainer in addition to my other credentials. Yes, CrossFit can help you get fit. Yes, CrossFit can get you wrecked. If I were to go into a box looking to see if it is the place for me: 1.) See what credentials the coach has outside of CF(has already been stated, but needs to be emphasized) and not just certifications, but practical experience, ie were they an athlete, where have they worked prior,.... 2.) Watch a class train. If their technique looks like crap and the coach is not fixing it right away, it is time to run. 3.) Do they emphasize "Games" training or for the everyday person. This gets overlooked a bunch and needs to be high on your list. 4.) Do they bring in people from outside CrossFit for seminars. There is a huge wealth of knowledge that many CF trainers won't look into because it is not CF. This is a huge indicator to run very fast away. 5.) Do you like the people there. If you don't like the people you will be training with, the workout will never make up for it. But, don't base your gym time on you liking the people, if the coaching sucks. 6.) Do they do an intro class or throw you to the wolves. If the don't do "On Ramp" classes, they not only need to be passed over, they need to have their head kicked in. 7.) Look at their WOD board at past workouts. It needs to follow correct programming. This crap of pulling stuff out of the hat is for the Games, not the general public or for anyone that is actually training to get somewhere. If you need help with that let me know the box and I will look at their past WODs.

Hope this little bit helps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 10:45pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    I am a Crossfit Trainer in addition to my other credentials. Yes, CrossFit can help you get fit. Yes, CrossFit can get you wrecked.

If I were to go into a box looking to see if it is the place for me:

1.) See what credentials the coach has outside of CF(has already been stated, but needs to be emphasized) and not just certifications, but practical experience, ie were they an athlete, where have they worked prior,....

2.) Watch a class train. If their technique looks like crap and the coach is not fixing it right away, it is time to run.

3.) Do they emphasize "Games" training or for the everyday person. This gets overlooked a bunch and needs to be high on your list.

4.) Do they bring in people from outside CrossFit for seminars. There is a huge wealth of knowledge that many CF trainers won't look into because it is not CF. This is a huge indicator to run very fast away.

5.) Do you like the people there. If you don't like the people you will be training with, the workout will never make up for it. But, don't base your gym time on you liking the people, if the coaching sucks.

6.) Do they do an intro class or throw you to the wolves. If the don't do "On Ramp" classes, they not only need to be passed over, they need to have their head kicked in.

7.) Look at their WOD board at past workouts. It needs to follow correct programming. This crap of pulling stuff out of the hat is for the Games, not the general public or for anyone that is actually training to get somewhere.

If you need help with that let me know the box and I will look at their past WODs.

Hope this little bit helps.
    I think you said good things, so I paragraphed that for you. ALso, out of my own curiosity... wtf is a "box". Is that just a fancy word for a Crossfit gym?

...or are you secretly talking about vaginas? :megusta:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2012 12:55pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Good" Crossfit

Box is slang for a CrossFit gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2012 8:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, "box" is a way to differentiate CF Gyms from "Big Box" Gyms like, Gold's, Bally's, Lifetime Fitness,....

Posted On:
    11/06/2012 9:54am

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello all, its a new entry with first post. Well, all done nicely but do have a
    little issue with "Crossfit does kipping pullups, which aren't real pullups". Not
    sure about it.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    11/06/2012 7:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Good" Crossfit

My crossfit trainer has a degree in sports medicine, coaches football, and has a shitton of certs in personal training. He makes up his own WODs most of the time, Instead of just going off crossfit.com.

And he goes in depth into lifting technique.

And he makes moose hurt :(

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2012 11:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    My crossfit trainer has a degree in sports medicine, coaches football, and has a shitton of certs in personal training. He makes up his own WODs most of the time, Instead of just going off crossfit.com.

And he goes in depth into lifting technique.

And he makes moose hurt :(

Most CF trainers who are worth anything will do their own programming and not go off the mainsite. I am glad you brought this up, as it often gets overlooked by those checking out CF gyms.

I know what you mean about him having different certs and a degree. I have degrees in Animal Behaviour(helps more than one would think), Human Physiology, and Chemistry. I also found it essential to get various certs including a CSCS.

Good points you brought up Moose.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast