Style
    Jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Introducing my a$$ and the dilemma i am facing of choosing between karate and kickbox

Hello epic Bullshido community!

I finally got my **** together and made a profile after enjoying myself immensely on your forums. First abit a bout my self.
    (iam a horrible speller. please bear with me)

Origanly from denmark but living in Japan.

As a kid i did jujitsu (8 years old), well something that tried to resemble it any way. And yeas it was horrible (but fun), no real sparring, alot of ground-ish roling around (were wherent taught any ground tecnics so pretty dame silly) and originally standup drills. I remember a black belt demonstrating a uke block followed up by a punch from the hips to the rip-cage of the opponent, saying that the punch would break 2-3 ribs despite that our gym dident even have a sandbag and the fucker had never hit anything in his life. You probably now that kind of place aim talking about. Well, it did teach me some small things that have help me in conflicts over the years, like twisting arms and a occasionally hip-throw, but when i turned older, when people would fight me they, for some reason, never graped my wrist (o boy if they had....). I quit when i turned 15, leaving with a blackbelt and 2 slipped discs that would come back to haunt me.
    Well i got in to kungfu, **** if u have seen old honkong fliks who wouldent. Join this school "amagerkungfu", in 2003 i think. It had all the good stuff, five animal form and ****. When the sifu had us do one set of druken, i was laughing the entire time out of pure joy, i was doing freakig drunkenboxing just like chan!. But things started to go a screw when i started to spare. Guess what, when we got our gloves and helmets on, all that fancy crane fist/snake hand to the thight went out the window and we were doing sloppy kickboxing. Plus sifu was fat, i do not like fat masters. Only to fighters are allowed to remain fatty, Roy Nellson and Sammo Hung.
    Good people and dirt cheap, abit shady ( the gym was located next to a hellsangels fortress) but he training simple dident make sense. I quit in 2005.

remember the slipped disc, well that **** got worse and i ended up on an operating table. I had to lay low for a while regarding MA. Went to japan (2005) and stayed in a monastery for 14 moth doing meditation. Up til that time i was pretty much the average MA idiot, you now the guys u originally made this forum for. Thought that where was a difference between sport and street, that kungfu was the best when there wasn't any rules, rolf. **** like that (Did i mention I was, and to some extent still am, an upper japophile). That changed in japan. I meet a polish monk how did alot MA and had a lot of heated debates until he finally passed me some PRIDE FC Beta tapes (no vhs in japan) and i got over that mystical asia ****.
    Still believe in chigung but only as a wellness thing like yoga, sure a chi master can make u fell funny when he touch you, so can Anderson Silva or any person who want to. I have been training with some hardcore jap boken wielding kenjutsu guys and sure they move and hit with uncanny speed and the doge ur **** effortless, but so can Machida, silva, ect ect. Aint no magic in that. I think we can all agree that if u spend ridiculous amounts of time doing some thing u usually end up being pretty good at that thing (yoyo includet)

I got home and really wanted to do mma. I really had and still have a hard on for that ****. But remember what 7 years of that crappy jujitsu did to me! My back is ridiculous fucked up so no goddame MMA for me. I just started lifting heavy things and ****.
    Well That brings me to the situation iam facing now.
    I live in Osaka, have been for 3 years, been doing kenjutsu and iado said time with some old dudes (in a sports hall, no fancy **** there). Now my body (at freaking 27 years old) is finally in a condition to do some standing contact sport.

Iam seeking advice on what to do. I really like kyokushin, digg the whole meatgrinder approach but hate kata. I read some where here that they recently allow punches to the head, but aim still under under the impression that their headmovments lack abit. Seeing that kickboxing is a son born of kk and muathai, i was wondering i shud do that instead, skipping the whole Kata thing? I dont have time to cross train so no dual **** for me. Osaka have a pretty strong k-1 tradition so i imagine that there should be at least a couple of good gyms here. But iam asking for advise from you!

Yours sincerely !

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you answered your own question, bro. If you don't want kata, then karate is not for you.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Try a trial class with a couple of different schools, see which one you like best and stick with that one. If you go with the kyokushin (badass karate IMHO), learn the system and when you become proficient, use what you want out of it. Otherwise, as battlefields pointed out, you have pretty much answered your own question. Good luck with whichever path you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    Jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the reply.
    I will try the nearby kk gym and see how it role. The thing is that even thou i dont like kata, i have a softspot for the fasict-like atmosfere of the (some) karate dojo. I some what thrive under that ****. On the other hand, i have a romantic attraction to "you alone with the punchbag" thing, but i guess i have to get my hands dirty in this chase.
    Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 11/17/2012 7:28am at . Reason: gramma

Style
    Trad Ju Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Otto,

Welcome to the Fun House.

Idle curiosity, if you can tear yourself away from rescuing Benito, did you train under Sensei Hans De Mant?

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to consult a doctor about this, if you already are half crippled before 30. Best not aggravate it, you need an able body at your fifty's , and a substitute in the line of a story of how you did MA as a young man, and even kickboxed a little in Japan until the big injury... a story you alone will find interesting, is not worth it. You are not going to fight in the streets or what have you. Work out, go to a gym, buy a heavy bag and punch a little to feel that macho feeling you crave, but again, better having an able body than a memory of a trained one.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found a recommendation for this place with Googlefu

"06-6929-6424
    Osaka-shi, Miyakojima-ku, Miyakojima Hondori 2-4-9
    534-0021
    The Gym director or Kaicho is Kitade Masato"
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osaka city or prefecture?

Style
    Jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never trained under Sensei Hans De Mant, but he has board member of my club.
    Regarding my back, it can handle medium traning (comeon, iam27, too late for anny dreams about a carer in pro kick), so i really want to fight again.

I live in osaka city, Awaji if that ring anny bells. I will chek out that gym in miyakojima even if its bit fare away. Thanks for the advice!

Style
    Jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    by the way, is it "the" Masato who fights in k-1?