Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 11:24am

Style: Shorin Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackjack View Post
    a family member that works on cars and is a "master" mechanic at BMW,
    worst appeal to authority so far this week?

Hiro, if this is really your first car, you need

- a car that's cheap to insure
    - a car that won't kill you when you crash in it (check it's EuroNCAP rating)

other than that it's down to budget. how much you got to spend?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find someone with an airbrush to give your crappy new car a spiffy new paint job:

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 11:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Interestingly, my sister does drive a $12K Toyota. She was at my house this weekend. She takes care of cars like Casey Anthony takes care of children.

She was sitting at 164K miles with no major repairs. I was nice enough to check her oil since I know she doesn't. Her last oil change was about 7K miles ago. She was a quart and a half low. The Toyota gave not one ****.

My Toyota is right under 180k.
    I've changed oil, brake pads and rotors, starter/solenoid, battery, water-pump and timing assembly; that's it.
    That's all stuff i consider pretty routine maintenance.
    It still starts on a dime, AC is cold and it gets great mileage.
    I get offers on it at least once a month.

I just wish they sold the diesel trucks here, they probably last 400k...

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 12:35pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, let me get this right....None of these vehicles **** the bed at 70,000 miles? Whodathunkit?
    Well the VW is only at around 40,000 miles but so far so good. Modern cars are really pretty amazingly reliable machines, so long as you're not an idiot about mainenance. And sometimes, even when you are. My mechanic buddy tells me some pretty funny stories about how stupid people can be, and somehow these cars keep going.

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 12:56pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell, I don't even get cars that are known for reliability and every single vehicle I've had has gotten over 130K.
    1989 Chevy Caprice Police Package: 185K. My sister totalled my first car. :(
    1996 Eclipse GS-T. Fun little car. Thermostat stuck while I was doing 120 mph in the black of night. Melted piston rings. 135k
    1993 Buick Roadmaster. Yeah, I like the boats. Suck it. I rode my motorcycle every possible day at this time. Odometer stopped working at 187k. Drove it for another 4 or 5 years.
    1996 Chevy Silverado Z71. I still mostly ride the motorcycle. This vehicle has 230k, runs splendidly despite the characteristic rust on this model.

These are all gasoline fuelled vehicles, I might add. If you were to get a diesel in there...

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 3:04pm

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Malibu isn't even scheduled for service until 100k.

All you need to know when buying a car is the make and model. Google can do the rest for overall reliability. I've built more cars than most of the people posting here have owned; and the reality is most modern vehicles are designed to go 100k miles without a problem. Since most people return to the dealership where they bought the car to trade it in, that is how they preserve value and make a profit for selling the car twice.

Definitely get a car with a timing CHAIN not BELT. Avoid performance mods that you don't feel are necessary, as these add complication and stress to the motor.

Never buy the smallest available engine. It will drive you crazy and ultimately be less reliable than the mid size option. Get a car one size bigger than you think you need. Thank me later. Cars tend to"shrink" subjectively speaking, the more you drive them.

Avoid obscure brands.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 3:29pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought a Prius. 60 MPG on good days means more money to spend on ammunition.

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 3:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets see I have an 04 Audi S4 sitting at about 110K miles and an 09 VW Jetta Sport Wagon sitting at 100K no major issues with either one. Hell I am not even good about hitting services on time. I shoot for Oil change every 10k but ends up being 12k-13k often. I drive ~200 miles a work day.
    I highly recommend the VW TDI as cars that get 40+ MPG go its a fairly fun car to drive
    (note I have owned,A T3/T4 turbocharged E36 M3, 996 911, 4gen heavily modifed F-body, STi, and a highly modded Syclone).
    Fun, Comfortable, economical, reliable.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 3:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I drive ~200 miles a work day.
    Please tell me your job involves driving and your commute isn't 100 miles one way. If that's the case, your life sucks miserably.

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 5:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please tell me your job involves driving and your commute isn't 100 miles one way. If that's the case, your life sucks miserably.
    Yes my job involves driving, going to customer sites, in fact I have 0 commute as I start my shift from home and end my shift at home.
    Although this Monday I did drive 110 miles one way for a job interview.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast