Hell yeah! Hell no!

Okinawan Karate history book recommendation + shorin ryu help

Hi

I'm looking for books on Okinawan Karate history

I already own:

-mark bishop book Okinawan Karate: Teachers, Styles and Secret Techniques
    -Bubishi: The Classic Manual of Combat by Patrick McCarthy
    -Classical Kata of Okinawan Karate (Japanese Arts) Patrick McCarthy
    -Ancient Okinawan Martial Arts: Koryu Uchinadi, Vol. 1 & 2 by Patrick McCarthy

I was thinking of buying:

-Tales of Okinawa's Great Masters by Shoshin Nagamine and Patrick McCarthy
    -History and Traditions of Okinawan Karate by Tetsuhiro Hokama
    -The Weaponless Warriors: An Informal History of Okinawan Karate by Richard Kim

So I was wondering about:
    1- Opinions on the books I'm thinking of buying?
    2- Are there any other books on Okinawan karate history?
    3- I came across books from an author called Christopher M. Clarke, anyone has any idea about his book & how good they are?

Also can anyone recommend books on Shorin ryu, I already own Shoshin Nagamine on Shorin ryu so I was wondering if there are any other books on the other 3 Shorin ryu styles?

Thank you

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 6:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hokama's book is similar to Bishop's, but covers different ground.

As I recall, Weaponless Warriors is concentrated hokum and myth alongside some useful but decontextualized and unreferenced lineage charts.

I like the work of Hokama and Bishop (while recognizing their clear and stated biases) and very much dislike the faux-history of Kim. However, reading Kim was central to being aware of various myths in order to be wary of them in the future.

Haven't read Tales of Okinawa's Great Masters.

Of the three, I would buy Hokama.
    Last edited by 1point2; 10/21/2012 6:41pm at .
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2012 1:18am

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I had my doubts about Kim

What about Christopher M. Clarke, anyone came across his books?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2012 9:02am

Style: Karate, w/ a side of judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do not yet own them, myself, but I have heard good things about Tales of Okinawa's Great Masters, as well as History and Traditions of Okinawan Karate. My knowledge of Richard Kim's book is largely similar to 1point2's--interesting and entertaining, but largely mythology and anecdotes.

Outside of what you have listed, I can strongly recommend My Journey with the Grandmaster by Major Bill Hayes, Kyoshi. I recently read it, even though my branch of Shorin-Ryu is not the same one he is a part of, and it was a great read--the entire book was written in an entertaining manner that was easy to understand, but also contained a lot of great information about Shorin-Ryu and how Kyoshi Hayes trained on Okinawa during Vietnam. When I read it, I found that I had a very hard time putting it down, but I had to do so every now and then just to absorb some of the ideas it sparked.

Some books I do not own, but that have been highly recommended, is Unante: The Secrets of Karate by John Sells, and just about anything by Donn Draeger. These to be rather expensive, which is why I do not yet own them, but from what I understand Unante has quite a bit of good information in it about karate history, in general, along with some interviews and historical information that isn't found in other books, and Draeger's books tend to have a lot of valuable historical information and are well-written. Okinawa No Bushi No Te: The Hands of the Okinawan Bushi by Ronald Lindsey is also supposed to be very good, and explores pre-1900 karate and how it developed from a Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu standpoint.

In regards to Christopher Clark's work, I know that his book on Japanese martial arts is typically well-regarded. I just went through the preview of his book, Okinawan Karate: A History of Styles and Masters: Volume 1: Shuri-Te and Shorin-Ryu, and from the preview it looks good. There are some bits of information that he has written in there that I haven't heard or read before, and he seems to consistently cite his sources, along with other sources that can be referenced for further information. I've added it to my Amazon Wish List.
    Last edited by Tetsumusha; 10/22/2012 9:07am at .

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 1:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard good things about John Sells and Donn Draeger. Unfortunately of Draeger's extensive work, I have only read one of his books on judo, which was good. I trust Draeger and would be willing to read more of his work; he is one of the most broadly educated Asian martial artists in all of history.

Haven't heard of Chris Clarke or Ronald Lindsay but they sound promising.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 5:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great recommendations guys thanks

If anyone could recommend more I would highly appreciate it
    Last edited by whatever123; 10/29/2012 5:45pm at .

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 3:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please do not purchase Richard Kim's book (The Weaponless Warriors). This book is ,word for word, plagiarized from Grand master Eizo Shimabuku's book written during the 1960's.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 5:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inventor View Post
    Please do not purchase Richard Kim's book (The Weaponless Warriors). This book is ,word for word, plagiarized from Grand master Eizo Shimabuku's book written during the 1960's.
    According to everyone advise the only reason I'm going to buy it is to know the common myths in Karate, but if you have any recommendation please...