Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 3:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Left foot forwards, right handed grip

Hi. I've got a slight problem with my Judo stance. I much prefer to have me left foot fowards, it just feels more natural. Unfortunately, I also prefer a right handed grip. I've been doing Judo for 5 months or so and I think I should correct this problem before becomes permanent. Do I need to change my stance? Thanks!

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 3:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right hand on collar, right foot forward. Left hand on collar, left foot forward.

No two ways about it I'm afraid. Either change your dominant hand or change your feet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 3:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I suspected as much. My stance just feels wrong at the moment. With left foot fowards and a right handed grip, turning in darn hard.

Not sure which way to go. Changing my dominant hand is going to be hard as I've drilled all the techniques right handed. But, having my right foot forward feels so wrong.

I do find ippon seoi nage easier left handed, and I naturally prefer falling on my left, so perhaps I should go that way.

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 3:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming you're a white belt or on the white side of green belt. It's going to be best for your long term development, to learn to stand 'Judo style' rather than train yourself to switch dominant hands.

All the muscle and co-ordination you'll have developed in your upper body due to striking right handed will be un-done if you switch to grappling left handed.

Easier to re-train the lower body.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a red belt, which is the first belt after white here in the UK. Basically means I'm a noob.

What you say makes sense. I've done alot of work on the upper body movement to take balance etc and I remember how hard it was learning this.

Still, as I've just started and if it is better in the long run, I am happy to take the harder path and change my dominant hand. But yes, I guess changing my lower body would be easier.

Dilemma!

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 3:51pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm familiar with the BJA grading system, lol...

Mate, seriously, just put your right foot forwards.

If you need to just get a pair of shoes on the floor at home and then practice going from feet level, to right foot on the peak of the triangle and then bringing your other foot in, comme ca:

Best to tape yourself whilst doing it and then review the footage afterwards to see how badly you fucked up and then improve.

Absolute best is to turn up to the club 15 minutes early or stay 15 minutes late and get a dan grade to supervise you doing it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 5:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice. I will ensure that my right foot is forwards during my class tomorrow.

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 6:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try this:

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 6:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, hane goshi was my tokui waza 50 years ago but it demonstrates at least one of a few techniques using the method you describe, so use it to your advantage. It is a difficult technique and in a few years you may master it.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/20/2012 10:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dusty, that's not even what the guy was writing about. That entry to Hane Goshi is't something a guy with less than a year in Judo would be working on.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast