Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 10:13pm

Style: Whatever I can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a bit on Medieval dagger work, and a smattering of other shite, but I would be interested to see that material from French sources. Could you provide a few links or names of books, if it's not too much hassle?
    Cheers mate.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/22/2012 6:30am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a bit on using a knife in conjunction with a jacket (as a defensive weapon) in Emile Andre's “L'art De Se Defende Dans La Rue”, and some hints offered in Jean Joseph Renaud's "Defense dans la Rue". Co-incidentally, I was in a martial arts store in Paris last week and thumbed through print copies of both books.

There's an English translation of Andre's book available via Lulu.com and a translation of "Defense dans la Rue" at http://www.sirwilliamhope.org/Library/DDLR/renaud.pdf , but I'm not sure if the latter includes all the knife info.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2012 7:15am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't the elsewhere mentioned Hutton also have a chapter on Dagger work? I could have sworn he did. IMS it fit in with his existing sport/dueling Saber system.

I'll have to look.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/22/2012 7:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hutton included some dagger defenses from Marozzo and George Dubois later developed a system of recreational epee and dagger fencing inspired by earlier masters, but I'm not sure that it what the OP is looking for (?)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2012 7:32am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, yes. There it is. In his book "Cold Steel" the last(ish) chapter is "Short Sword-Bayonet, or Dagger" I'd guess it's mostly French going by his general naming earlier in the book.

It's about 25 pages or so. Shows his "Dagger Guard" which looks a lot like a Smallsword fencing stance, standard fencing foot position and left hand held back w/ palm down at shoulder level, but with the dagger arm chambered with the elbow back near the waist/ribs.

Actually a pretty functional guard.

The chapter has several of his basic "plays," some general advice on tactics and strategy, a paragraph or two on throwing (yeah, I know), and even some Marozzo inspired grappling-at-the-knife which he calls "Seizures."

Over all it looks to be a pretty functional, if basic, knife system.

For what it's worth, I've had two or three Classical Fencers recommend Hutton's Sabre system as being decent. I never liked his zillion and one guards though.

I admit that I like his Great Stick system and have read his Constable's Truncheon chapter several times. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/22/2012 7:41am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here it is in PDF form - dagger instruction starts on page 58: http://www.skynet.ie/~nvl/cfi/resour...cold-steel.pdf

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2012 6:44pm

Style: Whatever I can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is bloody GREAT! Thanks lads! Heaps to chase after. Cheers for the PDF link Ddlr and another collection of obscure book titles for my wife to hate on me for.
    And thanks lklawson. I have dug out my copy of 'cold steel' for a squiz. I am sure that I have a book called 'Medieval and Renaissance Dagger Combat' that may reference a section in Steyer's 'Cold Steel', coincidentally, or perhaps it's the FM 3-25.150 Combatives manual.
    Having a read of Hutton now.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Luke Crow; 10/22/2012 6:47pm at . Reason: left something out
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12