Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2012 3:23pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Boyscouts' Peversion Files

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ion-files.html
    The files will offer the public an unprecedented look at how suspected molestations were handled by one of the nation’s leading youth organizations from the early 1960s through 1985, a time when awareness of sexual abuse was evolving rapidly.
    Are you kidding me? Not only is it disgusting, but they kept nearly 60 years of records on this bullshit. Dumb all the way around.

http://news.yahoo.com/perversion-fil...181647842.html
    The Scouts, however, wouldn't institute mandatory reporting for suspected child abuse until 2010.
    With the reports that had come out during the 80's, that I remember, you wait until 2010 to make reporting mandatory?

At 11:30 a.m., the Los Angeles Times will begin incorporating the court files into its own online database, which contains information on nearly 5,000 such cases spanning 1947 to January 2005. The database offers a complete record of files during that period except for an unknown number of files that have been purged by the Scouts over the years. In more than 300 cases, the allegations involve someone with ties to a troop or unit in California.
    60 years, 5000 cases, unknown purged cases and it took 5 MORE YEARS to make reporting mandatory? WOW.

The case of Timothy Bagshaw in State College, Pa., is illustrative of the changing national attitude to mandatory reporting. Bagshaw, a Scouts leader, was convicted of two counts of corruption of minors in 1985. But he wasn't the only one to face charges.

The Scouts learned of the abuse months before it was reported, and forced Bagshaw to resign at a meeting, but he wasn't reported to police. That failure was costly for Juanita Valley Council director Roger W. Rauch, who was charged with failure to notify authorities of suspected child abuse.

"I didn't know I was supposed to contact anyone. I felt it was the parents' responsibility," Rauch told the Centre Daily Times in 1984. "We acted very responsibly.

"I'm concerned that this not get blown out of proportion."
    Idiot.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 10/18/2012 3:28pm at .

Posted On:
    10/18/2012 4:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not defending the scouts in fact it boggles my mind that this sort of stupid **** went on for so long especially seeing how when I was involved in Scouts they had some pretty good rules that where suppose to be followed by troops.
    They can be found here
    http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/...GSS/gss01.aspx
    I remember being made well aware of these two rules as both a scout and a staff member at a summer camp.

Two-deep leadership on all outings required. Two registered adult leaders, or one registered leader and a parent of a participating Scout or other adult, one of whom must be 21 years of age or older, are required for all trips and outings. There are a few instances, such as patrol activities, when the presence of adult leaders is not required and adult leadership may be limited to training and guidance of the patrol leadership. With the proper training, guidance, and approval by the troop leaders, the patrol can conduct day hikes and service projects. Appropriate adult leadership must be present for all overnight Scouting activities; coed overnight activities—even those including parent and child—require male and female adult leaders, both of whom must be 21 years of age or older, and one of whom must be a registered member of the BSA. The chartered organization is responsible for ensuring that sufficient leadership is provided for all activities.
    One-on-one contact between adults and Scouts prohibited. One-on-one contact between adults and youth members is not permitted. In situations that require personal conferences, such as a Scoutmaster’s conference, the meeting is to be conducted in view of other adults and youths.

The 2nd on being the most important, something all youth organizations should use.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2012 4:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, and many organization have great rules. That actually makes it look worse, to me, IMO. So, they implemented all of these protectionist measures and still compiled cases while not always reporting them to law enforcement.

Disgusting.
    Let's be real:
    They have been the butt of molestation jokes for decades.
    They have had gender bias claims for decades.
    They are under scrutiny for their disdain of homosexuality.

Yet, here we sit, with nearly 5000 claims/cases and unknown purges all about child abuse and molestation. Weird, disgusting and strange priorities IMO.

Oh and I'm not saying they didn't do good, but Sandusky's organization did good as well despite his bullshit. Look what happened to them.

Posted On:
    10/18/2012 4:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I completely agree, I can't believe that they would have all of these protections and than to not do the one thing that makes the most sense its freaking stupid as all hell.