Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/20/2012 3:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I vote we give Neil a Science show on say Fox kids.

Posted On:
    10/20/2012 5:37pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	565018_488375701183446_639574959_n.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	13872

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 8:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I am watching The Smurfs and the Magic Flute with my daughter and we are like a half hour into it before actually seeing a smurf.
    The film was made in 1976

This to me highlights a few of the things that has dramatically changed over time with media.
    Kids where expected to be patient and follow a story, also they where required to think and not every single plot point being excitedly stated. Instant gratification and a race to the lowest common denominator are also not present. A certain implicit morality usually present.

So how does this old carton relate to the **** based lack of quality educational tv that is out now?

I am not entirely sure but I am sure if someone with the proper skill set where to dig into this they will see more than a correlation and find some sort of causality.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2012 11:46am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    So I am watching The Smurfs and the Magic Flute with my daughter and we are like a half hour into it before actually seeing a smurf.
    The film was made in 1976

This to me highlights a few of the things that has dramatically changed over time with media.
    Kids where expected to be patient and follow a story, also they where required to think and not every single plot point being excitedly stated. Instant gratification and a race to the lowest common denominator are also not present. A certain implicit morality usually present.

So how does this old carton relate to the **** based lack of quality educational tv that is out now?

I am not entirely sure but I am sure if someone with the proper skill set where to dig into this they will see more than a correlation and find some sort of causality.
    That's true of a lot of TV, but there's a lot of stuff out there where the opposite is true, where kids are required to follow more threads at once and the plots and themes require more thought to understand.

Posted On:
    10/24/2012 1:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwscott View Post
    That's true of a lot of TV, but there's a lot of stuff out there where the opposite is true, where kids are required to follow more threads at once and the plots and themes require more thought to understand.
    Very cool.
    If you could point me towards these programs I would be most grateful.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/24/2012 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very cool.
    If you could point me towards these programs I would be most grateful.
    Ever try to watch anime with a kid? They'll explain to you that the frog in a tuxedo is actually Princess Aikiko, the rightful 107th heir to the Hakkondo crown, since the Hakkondo defeated the evil sorceror Yamato 22 centuries ago in the Great Happening, and she can't become a neo-human again until she reunites the 12 shards of the Great Crystal and returns them to Lord Hiroshi, the blind ageless monk who also turns into an ancient fighting robot made of ten robot tigers.

Posted On:
    10/24/2012 3:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Ever try to watch anime with a kid? They'll explain to you that the frog in a tuxedo is actually Princess Aikiko, the rightful 107th heir to the Hakkondo crown, since the Hakkondo defeated the evil sorceror Yamato 22 centuries ago in the Great Happening, and she can't become a neo-human again until she reunites the 12 shards of the Great Crystal and returns them to Lord Hiroshi, the blind ageless monk who also turns into an ancient fighting robot made of ten robot tigers.
    haha its true, in fact my wife has quite the collection of anime.
    I think we have your PHD thesis here, Japan kicking US in Math and Science as a result of the complexities of Anime

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/24/2012 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we have your PHD thesis here, Japan kicking US in Math and Science as a result of the complexities of Anime
    I feel that cartoons in the US were largely influenced by Disney and company from the very beginning, and they used cartoons as a form of entertainment solely for young children, while Japanese animation studios decided decades ago that animation wasn't just for kids. Consequently Japan has released animation for all demographics. So, even though Japanese cartoons may seem more complex, it may be because they had a different demographic in mind. Middle aged tentacle enthusiasts, for example.

Posted On:
    10/24/2012 5:21pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I feel that cartoons in the US were largely influenced by Disney and company from the very beginning, and they used cartoons as a form of entertainment solely for young children, while Japanese animation studios decided decades ago that animation wasn't just for kids. Consequently Japan has released animation for all demographics. So, even though Japanese cartoons may seem more complex, it may be because they had a different demographic in mind. Middle aged tentacle enthusiasts, for example.
    I think it might be interesting to compare like for like here. Programs aimed at the 6-8 crowd in the form of US cartoons vs Anime.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 10:23am

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both Japan and the US were influenced by Disney. Specifically, Tezuka was inspired by Disney and he kind of made manga/anime. Japan just kind of went a different direction with it.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast