222180 Bullies, 3861 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 63
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    7,886

    Posted On:
    10/18/2012 3:30pm

    supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    My 7 year old can't replicate Nye's extra-terrestrial experiments.
    He probably also can't even if you send him to Cornell and he gets a doctorate in Astrophysics.

    Because, you know, he's no Bill Nye.

    No offense....there's only one Nye.

  2. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    7,886

    Posted On:
    10/18/2012 3:39pm

    supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nye is also a champion of debunking conspiracy theorists and things like astrology...global warming deniers, evolution deniers, moon landing deniers..

    He is in fact the only reputable scientist FOX ever has on.

    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/18/2012 3:44pm at .
  3. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    4,897

    Posted On:
    10/18/2012 3:56pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    He probably also can't even if you send him to Cornell and he gets a doctorate in Astrophysics.
    Bah Bill Nyes degree in Mechanical Engineering and as Sheldon Cooper once put it
    Engineers are the Umpa Lumpa;s of science

    To add a very tiny bit of seriousness to this, if looking at whom was the better science educator would be very difficult.

    Bill Nyes program is a bit more entertaining and its format addresses the issue of short attention spans of children, also cover a single topic for a whole episode.
    Wizards program was very experiment centric and are very easy to replicate, did a few experiments an episode so likely that at least one would tickle that special science spot.
    I think it really speaks to those who want to get their hands dirty with science as opposed to just wanting to learn about topics.

    Bill Nye appealing to a broader audience and Mr Wizard appealing to an audience that are likely to actually go into a science field. Both very important.

    You also have mythbusters.....
  4. Mr. Machette is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,673

    Posted On:
    10/18/2012 4:26pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    You also have mythbusters.....
    They do not belong in the same room as Wizard and Nye.

    They are tallented machinists, fabricators and to some degree engineers, but they are fundamentally stupid in many regards.

    Their lack of actual technical knowlege and forethought will probably get someone hurt one of these days. For example, they narowly avoided tragedy the time they launched a cannon ball through a neighborhood:

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...8fO_story.html


    Yeah yeah, "unforseen bounce". How about "don't use a backstop with houses behind it while testing artilery"?

    Like I said. Fundamentaly stupid.
  5. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    4,897

    Posted On:
    10/18/2012 4:29pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    They do not belong in the same room as Wizard and Nye.

    They are tallented machinists, fabricators and to some degree engineers, but they are fundamentally stupid in many regards.

    Their lack of actual technical knowlege and forethought will probably get someone hurt one of these days. For example, they narowly avoided tragedy the time they launched a cannon ball through a neighborhood:

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...8fO_story.html


    Yeah yeah, "unforseen bounce". How about "don't use a backstop with houses behind it while testing artilery"?

    Like I said. Fundamentaly stupid.
    I agree, but they are entertaining and do get people interested in science, and as the seasons go on they are being better (not saying much) methodically
  6. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    7,886

    Posted On:
    10/18/2012 9:38pm

    supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Bill Nyes program is a bit more entertaining
    Who cares about TV shows? Bill Nye is capturing sunlight on Mars. Mr. Wizard had a fucking TV show. Whoopee so does Honey Boo Boo, and on the TV network started by NASA no less. **** your TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Bah Bill Nyes degree in Mechanical Engineering and as Sheldon Cooper once put it Engineers are the Umpa Lumpa;s of science
    That's in Network TV Make Believe Land. Scientists get paid ass and they know it, even if they're researching quantum fucking foam or string theory. They're always starving for a grant.

    Umpa Lumpas ate chocolate all day and had 0% unemployment.

    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    You also have mythbusters.....
    Wow...more TV?

    You guys have actually read 'books' by other scientists right?
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/18/2012 9:42pm at .
  7. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    4,897

    Posted On:
    10/19/2012 12:45am

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Who cares about TV shows?
    Most of America

    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Bill Nye is capturing sunlight on Mars.
    Name:  sundial.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  16.5 KB
    Yeah its awesome he made something any engineering intern could have come up with to calibrate the cameras. Heck even a liberal arts major could have designed the thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Mr. Wizard had a fucking TV show.
    Yes one that inspired many, probably most of the engineers and scientist that worked on Curiosity.

    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Whoopee so does [I]Honey Boo Boo, and on the TV network started by NASA no less. **** your TV.
    This is truly sad and shows the importance of having good science education tv.

    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Umpa Lumpas ate chocolate all day and had 0% unemployment.
    That is actually pretty damn funny.

    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    You guys have actually read 'books' by other scientists right?
    I love science, yet my god most science books are awful. If their is one subject that really benefits from TV its science.

    I will hear no more disparaging remarks out of you or it will be
    gong sau
    Battle bots or other combat robot rules
  8. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    7,886

    Posted On:
    10/19/2012 2:35am

    supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Most of America
    No excuse.

    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Yeah its awesome he made something any engineering intern could have come up with to calibrate the cameras. Heck even a liberal arts major could have designed the thing.
    Yet they did not, and his is on another world. You might want to look a bit deeper into how exactly his device came to the Martian surface. I'll give you a hint: lots of serious, non-intern level work was involved.

    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Yes one that inspired many, probably most of the engineers and scientist that worked on Curiosity.
    Honestly, do you really think the engineers and scientists who worked on the Martian missions are mostly inspired by Mr. Wizard.

    Honestly?

    I'll give you one start: one of them was lectured by Carl Sagan at Cornell. His name is Bill Nye.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/19/2012 2:48am at .
  9. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    7,886

    Posted On:
    10/19/2012 2:40am

    supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously your dumb, context-less screenshot of the device so belied its true genius, I had to post Bill's explanation.

    Not to mention you posted one device, whereas he has designed several.

    Mr. Wizard was a hobbyist.

    Nye is a rock star.

    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/19/2012 2:44am at .
  10. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    4,897

    Posted On:
    10/19/2012 1:06pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    No excuse.
    Wrong its Americans we need to inspire to do Science.
    http://articles.cnn.com/2011-05-15/u...ation?_s=PM:US
    TV is the way to get them interested.

    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Yet they did not, and his is on another world. You might want to look a bit deeper into how exactly his device came to the Martian surface. I'll give you a hint: lots of serious, non-intern level work was involved.
    Yeah you know cause making Sun Dials, Test Screen Patterns, and using a Sun Dial as a compass all stuff I have done in the Boy Scouts. Yes some serious science went into getting them to the surface of Mars, that science wasn't done by Nye.

    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Honestly, do you really think the engineers and scientists who worked on the Martian missions are mostly inspired by Mr. Wizard.
    I do believe Mr. Wizard probably was a starting point for a few of them especially the older ones. Was he whole inspiration of course not. There are a lot of components that go into building a fire.

    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I'll give you one start: one of them was lectured by Carl Sagan at Cornell. His name is Bill Nye.
    Yet Mr. Wizard actually had a degree in Science.

    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Mr. Wizard was a hobbyist.
    More importantly Mr. Wizard inspired many people to be science hobbyist. Something that seems to be lacking more and more every year. A good sized hobbyist population is needed as they understand Science and results in a smaller population of science deniers.


    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Nye is a rock star.
    Pretty much the only reason why he did the sun dial work instead of an intern. To take advantage of some of that star power.

    All this said don't get me wrong I respect Nye as an Engineer, as a science educator and as someone who continues to champion science sadly something that is needed.

    Neil Degrasse Tyson deserves an honorable mention for getting into the spot light from time to time.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.