• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 12:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So the cops confused this for this I'm guessing the guy that got tased wasn't the only one who was blind. Taser range is what 15 feet tops?? What exactly are the eyesight requirements for the police?? This story reminds me of that U.S. Marshal that shot a kid because he had a candybar. Maybe the police should stop wearing those reflective shades it's effecting their vision.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    So the question here is then what are the limitations of the taser vs a firearm?
    To answer why is it important for an officer to have a firearm vs say a taser if the perp does have a knife or sword.
    I would suspect
    Range
    Ammo Capacity
    Being able to engage multiple targets
    are all things but I am sure their are more.
    All good questions. The Taser has obvious limitations 21' range (generally--as short as 15' leads and as long as 35' leads), but the further you are away from your target, the less likely you are to hit it. Both probes must strike the target in order to have any effect. The spread increases exponentially with distance (8' - 10') is really good.

Whether you use the laser or fixed sights, the top probe will generally hit its mark. The bottom probe is at a downward angle of 8 degrees, and you have to be pretty much parallel with your target. There is always the chance of the bottom probe going right between his legs. This limits your options.

As for multiple targets, there are two and three shot Tasers available, but again, too much isn't always good. Depending on the reactionary-gap, a firearm (deadly force) is more appropriate with a large edged weapon.

That said, Taser recommends, and most agency policies give you the option of using a Taser under these circumstances, IF lethal force cover (your partner with his firearm drawn) is available. This is a just in case I miss the fucker, my partner is going to let the air out of him thing.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Taser range is what 15 feet tops?? What exactly are the eyesight requirements for the police?
    Taser range varies based on selection of air-cartridge. Eyesight requirements vary from agency to agency, and some (most) do not require a re-exam after the initial hire, unless there is a documented problem (like Tasering a blind guy with a cane).

This isn't a perfect world, and since I wasn't there I won't try to second-guess the officer or pretend to know how screwed up the situation was. Suffice it to say, something went dreadfully wrong LOL.

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 12:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its dark they "received a number of reports that a man was walking through Chorley armed with a samurai sword". A street light or something could have hit the white portion of the cane just right. Eyes play tricks on people all the time.
    Also it being a taser I imagine its easier to have a loser trigger with it.
    Their are all sorts of cases of things being mistaken for weapons.
    It is generally a good idea if stopped by an officer at night to put what ever it is you have in your hands down be it a cell phone, keys, screw driver, stick or what ever. Not saying this is the blind guys fault or that he should have thrown down his stick, but it would have behooved him to have stopped.

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't mistakenly think that the police should rely so heavily on less-than-lethal. A Border Patrol Agent was killed last year because he used a bean bag gun on a guy who was using an AK-47.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 2:30pm

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saw the title. First thought: 'Omg, Mountainous had a complete meltdown. In Texas.' :-/

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goodlun...THE GUY WAS BLIND!

WTF was his guid dog doing? Licking his balls?

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 3:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    WTF was his guid dog doing? Licking his balls?
    Doesn't have a guide dog.
    Once again not blaming him. I was giving general advice since the discussion has undertones of police shouldn't be allowed to carry weapons cause they shoot people with <insert example> in their hands. I know San Diego had a small rash of these sorts of incidents a while back.

According to him the police didn't identify themselves, and he thought they where muggers. Which given that he is blind I can understand not stopping, when being told to stop.

An interesting end cap to this is
    A man carrying a samurai sword was later arrested on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly.

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 3:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe they thought he was Zatoichi??

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just very glad to be living in a place where the police dont need to be armed, except in extreme situations
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast