Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    4/23/2004 10:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

vitali vs. sanders

what's your prediction for tomorrow night and why?

also, what do you think of your pick's chances against chris byrd for a unification bout?

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    4/23/2004 10:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Klitchsko will kill him.And he'll revenge himself on Byrd.Though Byrd should face Golota first, considering the way that fight went last week.

Chemist

Posted On:
    4/25/2004 9:28am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vitali was obviously the better boxer last night, technically he was all over him, and he was in waaayy better shape than Sanders. I got to give it to Sanders though, that guy has some crazy fast hands and he took a ton of punishment without being KOd. He has a lot of heart. It was sad though that he was gassed in the 2nd round and was already dropping his hands. Perhaps if Sanders was in better physical shape he could have done better.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    4/25/2004 10:09am

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I find hard to believe is that those were two of the supposedly 'best' heavyweight fighters in the world. One of the announcers even made a joke about the fight looking like a 'bad sparring session'. I agreed. Just to make sure I wasn't being unfair, I switched channels to the recent Machado vs. Perez fight at Ceasar's Palace. Now, THAT was a good boxing match, tons of skill, great conditioning on both fighters, lots of combos and counter-attacks. Sadly, all of that was missing from the heavyweight fight. Just two guys getting gassed after three rounds and a ton of bombs and haymakers. Glad it wasn't on PPV.
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Chemist

Posted On:
    4/25/2004 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Vargas
    What I find hard to believe is that those were two of the supposedly 'best' heavyweight fighters in the world. One of the announcers even made a joke about the fight looking like a 'bad sparring session'. I agreed. Just to make sure I wasn't being unfair, I switched channels to the recent Machado vs. Perez fight at Ceasar's Palace. Now, THAT was a good boxing match, tons of skill, great conditioning on both fighters, lots of combos and counter-attacks. Sadly, all of that was missing from the heavyweight fight. Just two guys getting gassed after three rounds and a ton of bombs and haymakers. Glad it wasn't on PPV.
    I agree, it'd be cool to see Roy Jones Jr. mop the floor with these guys
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    4/25/2004 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, these guys are heavyweights. You can't expect them to throw 150 punches per round, especially at Vitali's size.

I was really excited for the fight, and during the first round or so I was really disappointed. Sanders looked out of shape and Klitchsko looked like a robot. In the end I was completely into the fight. Vitali loosened up and started to show his skill. He wasn't gassed either. He systematically took a guy apart who had no business being in the ring with him, except for his heart and his will. I couldn't believe some of the shots Sanders took and kept coming.

I've never liked calling athletes "heroes" or "warriors" even less so now with the passing of Pat Tillman, but Sanders did was the closest thing I've seen in sports for a long time. He showed a tremedous about of balls taking the beatig he did. Sure if he had been in better shape maybe he wouldn't have taken that beating, but he did.

I agree, it'd be cool to see Roy Jones Jr. mop the floor with these guys
    Roy Jones should never fight either of these guys, neither of them are John Ruiz. Maybe the Jones of a few years ago could do it but, I really think Vitali is big enough and skilled enough to pull out a victory and Sanders would be one punch away from winning for 12 whole rounds. Jones has enough to worry about with Tarver.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2004 11:51am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I'd give to rewind 15 years and get Sanders with good coaches.

He sneaks in those fast lefts, he's 6'5, and he has a good chin...apparently.

But he's now 38 and has man boobs. :( What was he doing for the last year? Jeez. Wasted potential.
    Last edited by Nid; 4/25/2004 11:58am at .

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    4/25/2004 10:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just saw the fight. thoughts:

1. sanders is a one-trick pony. he's got a fast, accurate, and hard left, but he's also old, slow on his feet, and out of shape. he's dangerous like any fighter with a lot of power, but he looked like he was going for the one punch KO the whole fight. after the fight with wladimir everyone knows about him so it was harder for him to surprise vitali. that said, he did wobble vitali, and he did show a lot of determination and a good chin.

2. vitali fought smart. he respected sanders' power and wore him down with counterpunching until sanders got totally gassed, then jumped on top of him and put him away. kudos to him. vitali's star is definitely on the rise, as he is now the ring magazine champ. however, i'm sure the naysayers will note that his ranking is based on a fight with lennox lewis that he lost, a fight with the contender kirk johnson, and this fight with a 38 year old. chris byrd has looked piss poor lately, with the controversial decision over fres oquendo and his DRAW with gulota, so i don't think you can really dispute vitali's status based on byrd. the loss to byrd was probably just a freak thing with the shoulder. i'm not sure who i would pick in a vitali and byrd bout though, since byrd is a defensively savvy southpaw. if byrd keeps up his string of mediocrity, however, it'll be a moot point.