225130 Bullies, 4127 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 71 to 80 of 437
Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Tom .C is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,127

    Posted On:
    10/15/2012 2:49pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Exactly what part of my post are you trying to contradict here?

    I at no point name Goliath as a Palestinian.

    Also, weather or not David ate the lions or the bears, he still used the damn sling for survival as lions and bears would have done a great deal of damage to his flock and or personal health and put his livelyhood into jepardy.

    IE, he used the tool on a daily basis and developed great proficiency with it.

    So where is it exactly you think we are splitting hairs? Or do you just need to interject an opinion to feel superior on the internets?
    You are completely wrong because of David wore an off the shoulder goatskin smock and Goliath had leather sandals and a chrome codpiece.
  2. Mr. Machette is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,673

    Posted On:
    10/15/2012 2:57pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    You are completely wrong because of David wore an off the shoulder goatskin smock and Goliath had leather sandals and a chrome codpiece.
    Thank you for clarifying that....
  3. doofaloofa is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wesht Cark
    Posts
    1,575

    Posted On:
    10/15/2012 3:02pm


     Style: mma

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I made a sling from paracord from the vid below



    I doesn't take long to get some real power with them and I would not like to get hit with a slung stone

    Great Craic

    Best learnt on your own far from windows and such like
  4. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,976

    Posted On:
    10/15/2012 4:00pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    The Two assumptions here are
    1. No contemporary accounts currently exist.
    2. With out them its hard for either side to "prove" it did or didn't happen.
    Neither of these are a set up a strawman, as they are based on my argument and not me trying to define someone else position.


    Really? What exactly do we accept as historical fact with out contemporary accounts or physical evidence to back it up?


    Nice both an appeal to authority and a no true Scotsman at the same time.
    Nope. Just so you know, an appeal to authority is NOT always a logical fallacy. In this case it is not. Also, His comment isn't a "no true Scotsman " fallacy either..
  5. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,123

    Posted On:
    10/15/2012 5:15pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    You may want to consider your defintion of "contemporary" for an age when the Interwebs & the printing press didn't exist.
    Letters where still written, journals where still kept, records where still kept. The fact is despite the fact this stuff happened a really long time ago these things are still found. It is one of the reasons we have a fairly good understanding of Rome. The followers of Christ being Jews where also most likely literate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Do you have any other records for anyone's crucifixion during those years in Jerusalem? Logically then, we must assume that no one was crucified in Jerusalem at the order of Pontius Pilate.
    Now this is a strawman, my argument has never been it didn't happen just the lack of an account of it happening different.
    2nd. We do have contemporary accounts of crucifixion being used by roman prefixs as a form of punishment. Proof can be pointed to. We can infer that Pontius Pilate may have used this tactic. That being said I would still like to see at least one journal entry or letter showing that Pilate resorted to this tacit himself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    There's skepticism & then there's pseudo-skepticism.

    Which one do you want to think you are?
    Healthy skepticism till someone shows me a compelling argument.
    You have to understand I have no deep rooted personal or emotional attachment to this.
    Historical figure or not doesn't have any sort of bearing on my beliefs overall.
    I just have yet to be presented with anything that I find compelling enough to Oh yes I see it now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Socrates' existence is generally not questioned, even if accounts have been embellished or used to prove a given point.
    Plato is a contemporary resource

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Diogenes Laėrtius
    He actually wrote something. He is his own contemporary account.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Pythagoras
    May very well be a myth

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nope, I'm just ridiculing you for making a big deal questioning the existence of a person who scholars in the field of history really don't feel the need to question. This combined with your citation of Bill Maher makes me think you're a fucking idiot.
    I actually didn't Cite Bill Maher once. I used him as a joke against an equally stupid source.

    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Nope. Just so you know, an appeal to authority is NOT always a logical fallacy. In this case it is not. Also, His comment isn't a "no true Scotsman " fallacy either..
    It is a fallacy its saying you should believe me because these people do. More productive would have been to tell me why Historians believe it, or send me in a direction to find it.
    As I have yet to find it myself
    There argument as I have seen comes down to well he was mentioned by these two secular Roman historians and they where right about a lot of other things.
    I don't find this overly compelling since both historians postdate the writings of Mark.
    Also it is a true scouts man because of the inclusion of "serious" thus making it impossible for me to site a historian that agrees with my point as they are then not "serious"
  6. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,976

    Posted On:
    10/15/2012 5:31pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post


    It is a fallacy its saying you should believe me because these people do.
    No, that isn't what it says at all. It says that YOU do not know how to build an argument correctly to get your point across. No, a serious Historian wouldn't argue your POSITION seriously. Now, if you don't understand what that means or you are confused ASK.

    More productive would have been to tell me why Historians believe it, or send me in a direction to find it.
    More productive would have been you asking a question instead of thinking it was a fallacious statement.
  7. Hiro Protagonist is offline
    Hiro Protagonist's Avatar

    Has entered Barovia...

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,460

    Posted On:
    10/15/2012 5:52pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
  8. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,123

    Posted On:
    10/15/2012 5:56pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    More productive would have been you asking a question instead of thinking it was a fallacious statement.
    Alright fine,
    What argument are the serious historians using?
  9. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,123

    Posted On:
    10/15/2012 6:33pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here after poking around the internet I came across rational wiki which echos a lot of the same stuff I have said. Please pick it apart and call out the fallacies, I am interested in hearing the other side and getting to the "truth".

    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidenc...f_Jesus_Christ
  10. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,976

    Posted On:
    10/15/2012 6:42pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Alright fine,
    What argument are the serious historians using?
    Nope, You need to state your position clearly. Two people have said you are arguing he doesn't exist. I'm now looking back at your posts and seeing why they said this in the first place.


    Here's an easy example:
    A serious historian is not going to argue Ann Frank's Diary existence proves all war crimes, stories of survival and horrors, during World War II, must have a detailed written record.

    Letters where still written, journals where still kept, records where still kept. The fact is despite the fact this stuff happened a really long time ago these things are still found. It is one of the reasons we have a fairly good understanding of Rome. The followers of Christ being Jews where also most likely literate.
    A serious historian is not going to build their argument based on a logical fallacy.
Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.