Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 1:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So let me get this all straight.
    We admit that its not "impossible" but just "improvable" well no ****.
    As I said once earlier the fact that it is improvable is why we have the story at all.
    No one is going to record and recount as part of there mythology the guy who does the everyday common event.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 1:46pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    As I said once earlier the fact that it is improvable is why we have the story at all.
    No one is going to record and recount as part of there mythology the guy who does the everyday common event.
    Yeah it'd be pretty lame to have a history comprised of "And at sunrise Bob awoke and showered and shaved before going to the field to tend to the sheep where he stayed all day until the evening"

No one would read it.

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 2:03pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    Yeah it'd be pretty lame to have a history comprised of "And at sunrise Bob awoke and showered and shaved before going to the field to tend to the sheep where he stayed all day until the evening"

No one would read it.
    We have that now it's called twitter.

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 2:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post

No one would read it.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    This may be the funniest thing you've ever said.

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 2:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    So much material to choose from, so I chose something easy, with pretty pictures with bright colors for Bnet. We need to start small, with how concussion works.

And the nice lady with the warm voice should help.

For my next trick I'll try to calculate the G force imparted to a helmeted person from 3,600 N. I can tell without even doing the calculation that it's quite a bit, because of how the proportions work with Newton's laws.

Don't make me do that Bnet...because my OCD ass will do it if you persist. This is when to let go...and that goes for both of us.

Don't get your cotton tail in a bunch, I'll give it up.

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 3:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Don't get your cotton tail in a bunch, I'll give it up.
    and that was the smartest thing you have said in this thread.

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 3:03pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, holy crap. I tried googling some key words "bronze helmet sling bullet" and discovered an entire website of ancient sling devotees: www.slinging.org. And wouldn't you know it, they've also got a thread devoted to the DvG duel. Short version: Even they can't seem to agree on whether or not Goliath was killed or stunned by the sling bullet. http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1208522774/0

BTW, it appears the Balearic sling champion from the video Wabbit posted is a member and posts there. Not surprisingly, it seems he needed more than one shot to hit the sensor.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok I'm an asshole....I had already written this up. It's Friday and I was feeling intellectually unstimulated during a coffee break.

Now I freely admit any part of this could be wrong or off...most people here know how terrible my math can be...please remember to show your own work if you want to try to pick this apart.

+++

Neglecting air friction (the reason sling stones are so smooth), and of course assuming 2 dimensions (no vector calculus on Bullshido, I refuse to be that big a snot-nose).
    F = m*a = 3,600 N = (3,600 kg*m/s^2)

a = 3,600 N / m
    Since we don't know the actual weight of the bullets, let's assume m = 1.3 kg (approx 3 lb) bullet, making a = 2,780 m/s^2, about 282 Gs on the stone. That seems like a lot, but keep in mind this is because the stone has a relatively low mass (1.3) compared to the impact force measured (3,600 newtons). Making the stone heavier would decrease the amount of acceleration required to achieve a 3.6 kN strike (heavier rock = more force).

Slings can't really use heavier rocks/bullet effectively due to lost range...their greater mass means the Earth's natural acceleration pulls their trajectory downward sooner than for the lighter stones (heavier bullets fall straight down to earth sooner). Note I didn't say faster...please don't try to conflate the gravitational constant of Earth's acceleration with multivariate ballistics calculus.

To overcome this problem, the ancients built siege weaponry capable of hurling larger stones.

But as far as the receiving helmet/skull/brain knows:

3,600 N / 5kg (Unhelmeted head) = rapid brain acceleration of 73 Gs (3600N = 5kg*a, a = 720 m/s^2)

If you factor in a liberal ~50% absorption rate (based on NFL video and 21st century helmet tech) you come to about 360 to 400 m/s^2 = ~40 G of brain acceleration and the subsequent traumatic oscillation which happens to be about the same as in the NFL video, reported to result in TBIs such as concussions, CTE, subdermal hematoma, stroke, and even death.

And that's with helmets.

Footnote: Keep in mind that these are ideal calculations in a vacuum, air resistance will ultimately lower the actual velocity achieved...the 3,600 Newtons is detected on the target and not on the stone, so I think it's safe to take air friction out of the equations entirely.

+++
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/26/2012 3:38pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 3:14pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    No.

Wrong again.
    Says the guy who said "Look a letter from a legionnaire needing socks." The mundane is written about and recorded all of the time. Do you need the articles?