heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 9:31pm

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Seems kinda weird to rally about the realism of the tale by noting that the guy was said to be ten feet tall (!?!) and wear over a hundred pounds of armor and carried a 15lb spear.
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    In all fairness exact details does not make a story true. Especially when certain details such as Goliath being 9 ft tall. Given that the current Guinness record holder is a mere 8 ft.
    OK I should not have used the terms "exact" but your observations are accurate. This issue has been poured over by scholars and it turns out Goliath's reported height depends on the translation you are reading, because of different measurement systems in place in different eras and of course, translation errors.

A cubit is not an absolute measurement like the SI units we're used to in the modern era....a cubit is the length from the elbow to the tip of the middle finger. A span is about the width of a hand. So both cubits and spans are an approximation for measurement...eventually a cubit length of 18" made it's way into some versions of the Bible, but that length it turns out is not consistent between versions/texts of the Bible, depending on who translated it.

Note that the Dead Sea Scroll versions put him at a more realistic 6'9".
    Hebrew Bible: 9’9” (6 cubits + 1 span)
    Greek Old Testament: 6’9” (4c + 1s) [Not all Greek manuscripts however]
    Dead Sea Scrolls (4QSam): 6’9” (4c+1s)
    Josephus (Ant. 6.171): 6’9” (4c+1s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    And how would the source know the weight of the gear of a guy who's gear was apparently tailor made for him?
    According to "antiquity", the armor was removed by the victorious Hebrews and actually weighed. But again, since we're talking measurements using unrefined ancient "guesstimates", I have also read that his armor measurements were between 120 and 200lbs (again depending on translation).

I have read Spartan Hoplite bronze breastplates alone weighed up to 60 lbs, so it's entirely possible his entire set (custom designed for a big man) would weigh over 100 lbs.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/25/2012 9:57pm at .

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 9:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way...everyone should, as an exercise, determine their personal cubit.

Mine is 19.5 inches, making my own private Goliath well over 10 feet tall (don't forget to add the width of your hand).

How tall is your Goliath?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 10:10pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    or did it, with his spear sucking ass for actual combat maybe part of the reason he got twacked upside the head by a rock
    He was probably trying to compensate for something.

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 10:42pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    By the way...everyone should, as an exercise, determine their personal cubit.

Mine is 19.5 inches, making my own private Goliath well over 10 feet tall (don't forget to add the width of your hand).

How tall is your Goliath?
    My Goliath is around 8-9 inches, but it seems to satisfy the ladies. Plus, that's measuring it from the top view, I've heard women actually measure from underneath, making it a bit larger in their eyes by another inch or so (as it is from the base longer on the bottom than the top).
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 11:32pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    If you people start conflating the Higg's boson (aka Goddamned Particle), with the actual God, you can all go **** yourselves.

That's right up there with Jdogg claiming he knows what women did 10,000 years ago.
    I sure don't know everything that women of that time did, but if they were most likely to have children with the weakest and least intelligent and least useful males, we would have probably died out by now.

I don't remember the names of the women's magazines, but some put out a list of the most desirable men. Look at who they are, and tell me it was not the same characteristics they were looking for 10,000 years ago, except Rich could be taken off the list.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 11:58pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally Posted by jdogg33
    because I've owned and handled both, and one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
    Wrong again, Mr. Appeal to Authority. No one on the thread could possibly have ever used slings and slingshots, right?

They are both types of sling, because they both contain the word "sling".

They are both ballistic weapons.

The slingshot is an improvement on the sling.

The only real difference between them is one is a bit more modern and uses elasticity to store power, whereas the older uses reactive centrifugal force.
    Read more at http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...CZWOOQYC6ou.99

OK, sure they are both ballistic weapons, only one uses elasticity and the other centrifugal force. I said they are not the same. Correct they are both ballistic weapons, only one is more advanced than the other. A .357 magnum revolver is a ballistic weapon, and it's a little more advanced than a slingshot. A Glock 45 is more advanced than that in the way that the bullets are moved into the chamber, and the spent shells ejected. They are not the same as a sling.

And where did you come up with Mr. Appeal to Authority? I'm not appealing to ****. I have an American Indian Tomohawk head, found by my Uncle 20 years ago. He found an old man that knew how to make a traditional handle. It is stone and wood, it was made for fighting, and it could easily kill a man. It is a leverage weapon.

When slashing, a Japanese folded steel sword is also a leverage weapon. They sometimes both operate on the principles of leverage, but they are not the same.

Also, I'm no so ignorant to think that I'm the only one on this site to have used a sling and a slingshot. I only pointed out that I understand what both can do, and they are not the same weapon.

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 12:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdogg33 View Post
    I sure don't know everything that women of that time did, but if they were most likely to have children with the weakest and least intelligent and least useful males, we would have probably died out by now.
    Apparently not.

I don't remember the names of the women's magazines, but some put out a list of the most desirable men. Look at who they are,
    tell me it was not the same characteristics they were looking for 10,000 years ago
    It was not the same characteristics.

10,000 years ago the ability of a man to make fire and kill wild animals and make things like deer jerky and huts were probably considered super sexy.

Originally Posted by jdogg33
    OK, sure they are both ballistic weapons, only one uses elasticity and the other centrifugal force. I said they are not the same. Correct they are both ballistic weapons, only one is more advanced than the other. A .357 magnum revolver is a ballistic weapon, and it's a little more advanced than a slingshot. A Glock 45 is more advanced than that in the way that the bullets are moved into the chamber, and the spent shells ejected. They are not the same as a sling.
    Yes, yes I see....and the USN Railgun prototype is a ballistic weapon and it's a little more advanced than a Glock 45, which is a little more advanced than a .357, which is only moderately more slightly advanced than a slingshot which is barely identifiable as an ancient ballistic weapon of some repute.

NO ONE said they were the same thing, dumbass.

Oh and learn how to use the Quote feature, god dammit.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 12:20am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I don't remember the names of the women's magazines, but some put out a list of the most desirable men. Look at who they are, and tell me it was not the same characteristics they were looking for 10,000 years ago, except Rich could be taken off the list.
    Uh oh, looks like Bnet has a new running mate.

And where did you come up with Mr. Appeal to Authority?
    Wow, we really are going in circles.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 10/26/2012 12:24am at .

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 12:46am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Uh oh, looks like Bnet has a new running mate.

Wow, we really are going in circles.
    It's a discussion on religion, there is nothing else to do but go in circles.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/26/2012 12:56am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    It's a discussion on religion, there is nothing else to do but go in circles.
    Maybe for you three, the others are discussing slings and historical research.
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243031323334 35363738 ... LastLast