Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 152122232425 2627282935 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 12:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdogg33 View Post
    Even though the ancient "sling" has often been called a "slingshot", This is apples and oranges, or more like apples and chicken wings. What they call a "slingshot" today has nothing in common with what has been used since ancient times, except they can both shoot (or throw) stones. The rubber band type of today can only shoot much smaller rocks or metal balls. I did not watch the video, because I've owned and handled both, and one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 12:19am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Yes, I'm a zealot to request proof contradicting a narrative.

Did you miss the part where I'm Buddhist, dipshit?

"Science" has already corroborated much of the history contained within the text on various subjects, and contradicted others. The Bible is just as much a valid source for discussion of history, just as is any other cultures mythological & historical texts. Get your head out of your ass & go back to college.

So, if we're going accept the fact that the fight between David & Goliath did in fact happen at all enough to debate the sequence of events in said fight, yes, I'm going to request evidence if you're going to state that a given narrative is incorrect.
    First, please do not take this as criticism of your beliefs, or your religion, as I respect both. Do you look for proof in the writings of Buddhism as well? I'm not looking to argue, I'm trying to learn more about your perspective. I know Buddhism covers a few different schools of thought, just like there are Catholics, Protestants, Baptists etc...

I was raised Roman Catholic, and at an early age I began to question and even disagree with some of the teachings. Catholics don't like that. If nobody ever questioned what they were taught, the earth would be the center of the universe, and only a few thousand years old. Except for the most closed minded, the proof otherwise has been coming since Copernicus, and even before that, and it is irrefutable. That doesn't mean the Bible is all lies.

Jesus could not have taught genetics, mutation, evolution etc. to the people of the time. It was way too far beyond their understanding of the world. We understand a lot more today than then, but we are a long way from understanding everything. I believe, and one thing I believe that is taught in the Bible, is that nobody can profess to understand the mind of God. The human race will continue to gain knowledge, and if it goes against what is said in the bible, or the Koran, it was taught to the people of that era in a way they could understand.

I believe the teachings of every religion were meant to help people to live a good life, to live together. Maybe not every religion, (some required eating or sacrificing some of their enemies or removing their hearts), but most.

The underlying theory behind the writings is much more important than if the fight between David and Goliath took place, or if it did, did it take place the way it was written in the Bible? Who cares?

I'm more interested in something else. Can I, who has turned away from the Roman Catholic teachings, but still believes in many of the teachings of the Bible, can I become friends with a Buddhist? Could we agree on some things, and agree to disagree on others? Will we find that many of the things we're taught are very similar? I think so.

I question everything too, and many things in the Bible I believe were conceived for the people of that time, and were edited by men. The underlying meaning is what is important, IMO.

So I guess to me, I'd like to see if a non denominational, always questioning, non ritual sort of Christian believer in God can be friends with a Buddhist, or Muslim, or Hindu. That to me is more relevant than whether David ambushed Goliath, or even if either one really existed.

We seem to have one thing in common already. We do not take anything as truth blindly.

jdogg33

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 12:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus could not have taught genetics, mutation, evolution etc. to the people of the time. It was way too far beyond their understanding of the world. We understand a lot more today than then, but we are a long way from understanding everything.
    Lets go with your premise that he knew about them.

I call bullshit they are actually really freaking easy to teach. Especially to farmers and other agrarian societies. They see the effects of these things 1st hand all the time. They understand cross pollination. There world is full of observable events that prove the very foundations of evolution.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 12:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Lets go with your premise that he knew about them.

I call bullshit they are actually really freaking easy to teach. Especially to farmers and other agrarian societies. They see the effects of these things 1st hand all the time. They understand cross pollination. There world is full of observable events that prove the very foundations of evolution.
    I think Jesus knew from the beginning his time was very limited. Perhaps he could not find time in his day to teach agriculture. He had better things to do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 1:22am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most basic didn't need to be taught. Women 10,000 years ago, if they mated with the strongest, most successful male, chances were that her chilren would be bigger and stronger than if she mated with the village idiot.

A pride of lions is the same. The strongest, most dominate male passes on his genes. If the female already has small cubs, the male will always kill them. By then he has driven off or killed the father of the offspring, and the female will soon go into estrus, and be ready to bear cubs for the new male. That sort of thing was not my point, really.

My point was, that some of the things explained 2000 years ago, even if Jesus had access to the knowledge of God, the people would not understand, and there were more important things for him to teach. So I think parables and stories were used to take the place of "You just don't have enough knowledge yet for you to understand the answers."

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 7:06am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    No I don't discount it, I am skeptical of it do to it's own texts being filled with mythology. I hardly think that is an indicator of being in the category you tried to place me in.
    No, you're not skeptical.

You're pseudo-skeptical.

Skeptical would mean you'd actually done research into the archaelogical & historical assessments of Biblical history...in which case you would not be saying stupid ****.

However, your criticisms have been completely based on discounting it largely because of things you feel modern American evangelicals say the Bible is about.

So yes, you're a fucking idiot.

No one here brought up dinosaurs or Sky Daddy.

You did.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 7:13am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, please do not take this as criticism of your beliefs, or your religion, as I respect both. Do you look for proof in the writings of Buddhism as well? I'm not looking to argue, I'm trying to learn more about your perspective. I know Buddhism covers a few different schools of thought, just like there are Catholics, Protestants, Baptists etc...

I was raised Roman Catholic, and at an early age I began to question and even disagree with some of the teachings. Catholics don't like that. If nobody ever questioned what they were taught, the earth would be the center of the universe, and only a few thousand years old. Except for the most closed minded, the proof otherwise has been coming since Copernicus, and even before that, and it is irrefutable. That doesn't mean the Bible is all lies.

Jesus could not have taught genetics, mutation, evolution etc. to the people of the time. It was way too far beyond their understanding of the world. We understand a lot more today than then, but we are a long way from understanding everything. I believe, and one thing I believe that is taught in the Bible, is that nobody can profess to understand the mind of God. The human race will continue to gain knowledge, and if it goes against what is said in the bible, or the Koran, it was taught to the people of that era in a way they could understand.

I believe the teachings of every religion were meant to help people to live a good life, to live together. Maybe not every religion, (some required eating or sacrificing some of their enemies or removing their hearts), but most.

The underlying theory behind the writings is much more important than if the fight between David and Goliath took place, or if it did, did it take place the way it was written in the Bible? Who cares?

I'm more interested in something else. Can I, who has turned away from the Roman Catholic teachings, but still believes in many of the teachings of the Bible, can I become friends with a Buddhist? Could we agree on some things, and agree to disagree on others? Will we find that many of the things we're taught are very similar? I think so.

I question everything too, and many things in the Bible I believe were conceived for the people of that time, and were edited by men. The underlying meaning is what is important, IMO.

So I guess to me, I'd like to see if a non denominational, always questioning, non ritual sort of Christian believer in God can be friends with a Buddhist, or Muslim, or Hindu. That to me is more relevant than whether David ambushed Goliath, or even if either one really existed.

We seem to have one thing in common already. We do not take anything as truth blindly.

jdogg33
    Stop thinking & start drinking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 8:41am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop thinking & start drinking.
    Thread won!

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 8:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, you're not skeptical.

You're pseudo-skeptical.

Skeptical would mean you'd actually done research into the archaelogical & historical assessments of Biblical history...in which case you would not be saying stupid ****.

However, your criticisms have been completely based on discounting it largely because of things you feel modern American evangelicals say the Bible is about.

So yes, you're a fucking idiot.

No one here brought up dinosaurs or Sky Daddy.

You did.
    You in fact brought up sky daddy by using his biography as your reference. A reference that is filled with mythology and bullshit magic "miracles". Complete with talking bushes, nuked rape cities, and yes a whole **** load of sky daddy. It's all in the book YOU referenced. All I did was call doubt on your statement that it must be true cause it's in the magic book.

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 8:52am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Bneterasedmynam;2732169]
    The bible fact checked?? Lol. And no I don't take the word of billions of idiots who think the earth is 9000 years old and that people rode dinosaurs while cloud people watched.
    There are a lot of extremely intelligent religious people , many of them smarter than you are, and they will tell you that that the earth is younger than 9000 years closer to 6 thousands, besides dinosaurs did not exist! otherwise they would be mentioned in the bible, If they did not climb to Noah's arc they died. And by cloud people i guess you mean angels? yes, they watched but nothing ridiculous as people riding dinosaurs..that is just an absurd.

Was it possible that some guy shot a big warrior with a sling and killed him, yes it is. But that doesn't make the story in the bible true. I would be more likely to believe it if that one story wasn't surrounded by so much overall bullshit.
    Bullshit you say, so your god is Steven Hocking i guess, with his theories of a tinny particle that gave birth to the universe.

Oh and as far as that particle, at least science can prove to an extent the existence of such particles, I have yet to see god hover down from his cloud.
    Hmm...nope, there is only a theory, that speculates about a particle. Science is not close to prove **** about this theory (hence it being a theory ), just as we are not closer to cure the common cold, or anything Viral for that matter. Have faith Brother, don't be a heathen. Oh, p.s. you never prayed to god? ever? even when it was late at night, and you were desperate and afraid?