Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 111718192021 2223242531 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had the good fortune from studying anthro to meet folks who could build and use simple projectile weapons well, including the atlatl, sling, and sling staff. They can all be shot accurately and quickly, with serious results. They can be used for hunting- don't you think animals have self preservation instincts? They do, and if you can hit an animal with one faster than it can respond to move out of the way, you can do the same to a person (granted, they are best used in hunting from a blind angle which is not so likely in single combat).

There's stories from Spanish conquistadores in the New World where native atlatl bolts went all the way through armored soldiers. Plate armor with swords and such, yet they did not manage to effortlessly swat away the incoming projectiles (even though atlatl bolts are super long). Obviously this is a different weapon than the sling, but its mechanically similar and uses the same launching mechanism (human arm + extra lever).

So, I don't find it earth-shattering that a sling projectile shot by a skilled practitioner could hit a big guy in the head, and that such a blow would stun or kill the guy. In fact, it sounds like an entirely un-supernatural sort of thing to happen, if unlikely, like when a sniper hits another sniper with a bullet through their scope.

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 5:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sniper through the scope check

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 6:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I've had the good fortune from studying anthro to meet folks who could build and use simple projectile weapons well, including the atlatl, sling, and sling staff. They can all be shot accurately and quickly, with serious results. They can be used for hunting- don't you think animals have self preservation instincts?
    Hunters do this thing called "stalking the prey" for a reason. How does this rebut an argument about the sling being a better ambush weapon, against a much larger person, with arms and armour, experienced in fighting and aware of the weapons of the day (including rocks)? Also, no doubt slings would have been effective against ankylosaurs and glyptodonts...right?

...(granted, they are best used in hunting from a blind angle which is not so likely in single combat).
    Exactly my fucking point all this time.

There's stories from Spanish conquistadores in the New World where native atlatl bolts went all the way through armored soldiers.
    Stories? Gosh! are they...bible stories?

Plate armor with swords and such, yet they did not manage to effortlessly swat away the incoming projectiles (even though atlatl bolts are super long).
    See y last post to erezb. Are you describing war (including ambush tactics) or a series of duels. I do not recall the conquistadorks winning a series of duels against the nations they crushed (despite the latters' amazing atlatls).

Obviously this is a different weapon than the sling, but its mechanically similar and uses the same launching mechanism (human arm + extra lever).
    Bolts go through armour. Rocks slung by little boys?

So, I don't find it earth-shattering that a sling projectile shot by a skilled practitioner could hit a big guy in the head, and that such a blow would stun or kill the guy.
    A helmeted head, on an adversary who can plainly see you whirling the sling with enough vigour to give it sufficient centrifugal force to stun you through lowered helm or raised shield?

In fact, it sounds like an entirely un-supernatural sort of thing to happen, if unlikely, like when a sniper hits another sniper with a bullet through their scope.
    ...yep, about as likely as that.

You know, we keep talking about high-percentage-this and low-percentage that when discussing MA training. What has the higher probability of success, as demonstrated by past experience in real fights.

So here I am, asking what is the higher-percentage way that a kid with a sling could stun an armed and armoured, experienced fighter who (unlike many people today) would be well aware of what damage a well-launched stone might do.

1) Participating face-to-face, as usual in duels or

2) Getting to the the duelling place early, finding a hiding spot, and waiting for the big adversary to show up so you can nail him in the back of the head before he gets to put his helmet on--then killing him as he lies there stunned.

Percentages. Probabilities. Anything is theoretically possible. Which is more likely?

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 6:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post

...yep, about as likely as that.

You know, we keep talking about high-percentage-this and low-percentage that when discussing MA training. What has the higher probability of success, as demonstrated by past experience in real fights.

So here I am, asking what is the higher-percentage way that a kid with a sling could stun an armed and armoured, experienced fighter who (unlike many people today) would be well aware of what damage a well-launched stone might do.

1) Participating face-to-face, as usual in duels or

2) Getting to the the duelling place early, finding a hiding spot, and waiting for the big adversary to show up so you can nail him in the back of the head before he gets to put his helmet on--then killing him as he lies there stunned.

Percentages. Probabilities. Anything is theoretically possible. Which is more likely?

Wait, are you still discussing, The Bible?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sending your own Goliath to fight him, I suppose.

That things didn't go down anything like what was described, and perhaps never happened at all?

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 6:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A helmeted head, on an adversary who can plainly see you whirling the sling with enough vigour to give it sufficient centrifugal force to stun you through lowered helm or raised shield?
    I think the problem here is that you think the time involved to put a stone in and chuck is a lot longer than it actually takes. You don't have to whirl whirl whirl in fact you only need one good whirl to get the stone up to speed. The whole process can be over very quickly.

Very low percentage yes, possible also yes, someone pulling off such a low percentage shot is what makes it worthy of being told for centuries in the Torah.
    It is simply Evel Knievel ****.

This is hardly the most unbelievable story in the bible for that I think I have to point you to towards something like Jonah and the whale.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/24/2012 7:13am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's more likely is that it probably went down pretty much the way the Old Testament describes it until you have some evidence otherwise.

Until then, you're blowing smoke out your ass for the sake of blowing smoke.

Posted On:
    10/24/2012 8:49am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    What's more likely is that it probably went down pretty much the way the Old Testament describes it until you have some evidence otherwise.

Until then, you're blowing smoke out your ass for the sake of blowing smoke.
    Spoken like a true zealot. Taking the bible as literal fact is fucking retarded. Science has already disproven a good amount of the bullshit contained within that paperweight.

Posted On:
    10/24/2012 10:12am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Spoken like a true zealot. Taking the bible as literal fact is fucking retarded. Science has already disproven a good amount of the bullshit contained within that paperweight.
    What??? where did you bring that weird notion? to my understanding it's fact checked. Besides, you think you know better than billions of people?
    What the Buddhist was trying to say, is that speculating on a story is just that, the story is totally plausible, i mean, it probably happened. And not from ambush, cause there was an army behind Goliath, making sure everything is hunky dory. Someone had a massive luck and the story made it to the Bible. If you can believe that the universe started from a tinny little massive particle, you can believe this too.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/24/2012 10:17am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Yes, I'm a zealot to request proof contradicting a narrative.

Did you miss the part where I'm Buddhist, dipshit?

"Science" has already corroborated much of the history contained within the text on various subjects, and contradicted others. The Bible is just as much a valid source for discussion of history, just as is any other cultures mythological & historical texts. Get your head out of your ass & go back to college.

So, if we're going accept the fact that the fight between David & Goliath did in fact happen at all enough to debate the sequence of events in said fight, yes, I'm going to request evidence if you're going to state that a given narrative is incorrect.