Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 3:04am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    So...because while bouncing you were able to block rocks and bottles thrown by idiots in bars, it is easy to block a sling launched projectile and thus slings are only viable weapons if used in an ambush scenario.

Am I an obnoxious jerk, or is anyone else getting a "Aikido/Ving Tsun easily defeats grappling because Road House" vibe from this line of reasoning?
    First off, I do not think you are an obnoxious jerk. Second, there is a huge difference between someone throwing a bottle or a rock, and a rock thrown from a sling.

My Dad helped me make a simple one when I was a kid. I never got very good at hitting a target, but I know the velocity and power behind it. Dodging that would be more comparable to dodging arrows, with someone who was good at it, unlike myself. This will give you a general idea. I tried to find better videos, but the rock is moving so fast you can's see it, and it doesn't stick like an arrow for you to see.

I do not understand why I've never seen this device used, when people are throwing rocks at tanks, or lines of soldiers or lines of police with helmets and shields. They throw rocks, occasionally a malotov coctail. Even a novice could land one into a row of men from a pretty good distance. Throwing low, even skipping off the ground first, would be 100 times more effective than throwing stones. I hope I don't give anyone any ideas.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 5:02am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdogg33 View Post
    I do not understand why I've never seen this device used, when people are throwing rocks at tanks
    That's caveman-tier technology bro.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 11:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Petter;2730365]A writer who appears to have written intelligently on the subject is Richard Carrier; see e.g. his exchanges with Ehrman (lots of links there) and his book on Bayesian methods in historical research.

Personally I can't quite see why the question of whether there was a “historical Jesus” is supposed to be so damned important.[/QUOTE]

I've found that it's important to (some) Christians in order to sell Christianity to non believers, in other words, to proselytize. Also, in my experience, it is a crutch for some Christians to bolster their own ultimate lack of faith in the whole Jesus as Lord and Savior theme of Christianity.

The "logic" goes like this: If there is no compelling historical/archaelolgical evidence that Jesus really existed and was the person as portrayed in the New Testament and other texts (not many of the people of whom I speak would even know of those texts), then how can anyone believe in the whole Jesus-as-Savior story? How can my sins be forgiven because Jesus died on the cross if he didn't really exist?

The irony is that Christianity is based on faith..in that very story, regardless of historical accuracy/reality of Jesus and his life.

Ann Rice wrote an interesting "historical" novel about the life of Jesus. It's an entertaining read, I reccomend it.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 12:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdogg33 View Post
    I do not understand why I've never seen this device used, when people are throwing rocks at tanks, or lines of soldiers or lines of police with helmets and shields.
    The kind of sling involved requires a length of cord to be whirled, creating centrifugal force which, upon release, launches the projectile on a straighter, but of course not perfectly-straight, trajectory. The person using it needs to see the target he's aiming at in order for properly-aimed release--so when he's whirling the sling, he's also visible to the opponent.

Unless, of course, he's smart, gets position behind the unwitting target, and hits him in an unarmored and damaging place, stunning him and allowing you to finish him off with something else.

What's a more likely way to win using a sling in a duel against an armed and armoured champion (AKA experienced combatant familiar with weaponry of his time) twice your size, in an open field where you're the only thing he has to deal with: face-to-face...or ambush?

Really difficult choice, that.

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 12:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    The kind of sling involved requires a length of cord to be whirled, creating centrifugal force which, upon release, launches the projectile on a straighter, but of course not perfectly-straight, trajectory. The person using it needs to see the target he's aiming at in order for properly-aimed release--so when he's whirling the sling, he's also visible to the opponent.

Unless, of course, he's smart, gets position behind the unwitting target, and hits him in an unarmored and damaging place, stunning him and allowing you to finish him off with something else.

What's a more likely way to win using a sling in a duel against an armed and armoured champion (AKA experienced combatant familiar with weaponry of his time) twice your size, in an open field where you're the only thing he has to deal with: face-to-face...or ambush?

Really difficult choice, that.
    All depends on the distance of that the engagement begins at.
    I tend to agree if it relatively short the guy with the sling is Fucked.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2012 10:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    So...because while bouncing you were able to block rocks and bottles thrown by idiots in bars, it is easy to block a sling launched projectile and thus slings are only viable weapons if used in an ambush scenario.

Am I an obnoxious jerk, or is anyone else getting a "Aikido/Ving Tsun easily defeats grappling because Road House" vibe from this line of reasoning?

First off, I do not think you are an obnoxious jerk. Second, there is a huge difference between someone throwing a bottle or a rock, and a rock thrown from a sling.

My Dad helped me make a simple one when I was a kid. I never got very good at hitting a target, but I know the velocity and power behind it. Dodging that would be more comparable to dodging arrows, with someone who was good at it, unlike myself. This will give you a general idea. I tried to find better videos, but the rock is moving so fast you can't see it, and it doesn't stick like an arrow for you to see.

I do not understand why I've never seen this device used, when people are throwing rocks at tanks, or lines of soldiers or lines of police with helmets and shields. They throw rocks, occasionally a malotov coctail. Even a novice could land one into a row of men from a pretty good distance. Throwing low, even skipping off the ground first, would be 100 times more effective than throwing stones. I hope I don't give anyone any ideas.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2012 7:15am

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Palestinians use them fairly often.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2012 11:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

OK

Quote Originally Posted by Moenstah View Post
    Palestinians use them fairly often.
    I don't have any problem believing that. For someone with a little know how and little other means, it is a very easy weapon to make. Primitive, yes, but also can be effective.

Just find an old shoe, some thin rope or heavy twine, some basic knowledge of how to tie knots, and you have yourself a pretty good sling. Someone with knowledge of weaving could make one out of a bed sheet.

It seems this thread has finally died down. It was really crackling for a while with a lot of insults, religion, history, arguments and bullshit. I'm glad.

I think I might make a good sling, just for fun, to have, and to show my son how they work. It won't be my primary home defense weapon, but I think it might be fun. I don't expect to ever be good at it, but it would be fun to make, and I'd like to show my son how one can throw a good sized rock a long way.

Jdogg33

Posted On:
    10/23/2012 12:11am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Little known fact, Jesus was a bad arse DJ. One of the first and only to successfully introduce scratching into trance. To this day those recordings are considered "divine".

Moses still holds the mantle for best Wall of Death, many people died. Exodus' 40 Year Tour in Egypt is still considered one of the most epic metal concerts ever.

Noah was the first person to pull off the 360 while wakeboarding. Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.