Our Sponsors:

Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 1718192026 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/18/2012 1:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love me a decent descent into dissent.

Posted On:
    10/18/2012 2:31pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You didn't just waste a paragraph, just because you can't tell when someone's lying to you, did you? Of course I have no daughters. A couple of sons, though.
    No i did not
    Oh, I know why "daughter" was your go-to assumption.
    That is what she said.
    Sorry if daughters are all you have.
    coffee will do.
    it actually is the father's input which determines gender
    Really? you should open a text book once in a while..latest papers suggest otherwise..but what can you expect from a dumb doorman
    Norse who were desperate enough might take some little-brown-mouse as a toy, but the result would be little-brown-mouse offspring
    Does it anger you that your genes are recessive?.
    They need to practise their strap-on skills on someone. Your arab brethren are just the thing: small and nervous
    . Arabs aren't small ask your wife..
    Just because both groups don't have mastodon-schnozzes
    You know what they say about big noses..again ask your wife :D...
    but it's all good.
    Most def'.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2012 2:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Really? you should open a text book once in a while..latest papers suggest otherwise
    You might want to turn the page in your textbook. Neither controls the ACTUAL biology and cell division........, but

but what can you expect from a dumb doorman
    Apparently, a more modern education than yours.

Posted On:
    10/18/2012 2:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    you should open a text book once in a while..latest papers suggest otherwise..but what can you expect from a dumb doorman
    The dumbest doorman will know (as, obviously, you do not) that nothing from latest papers ends up in textbooks, which--given the rate at which research results are published--deal primarily in older information.

Does it anger you that your genes are recessive?
    Why would such a prefect system of ensuring purity anger me? Try to make some sense, some of the time, okay?

Arabs aren't small...
    Full points for anecdotal experience. Did it hurt? It's okay, you can tell us. We don't blame the victim here.

You know what they say about big noses..
    That's feet, genius. Mine, by the way, are size-twelve-wide.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2012 7:04pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the subject of David and Goliath:

First of all, Dave didn't kill the big buy with his sling. He rocked him, and while Big Daddy G was stunned, the shepherd picked up the sword the giant had dropped and then FATALITY!

Secondly, it's not that improbable if you have have any knowledge at all of the history of the sling as a weapon. I've had the chance to fumble around with a replica version of the variety of sling historians think David's people used...you can chunk some pretty hefty hunks of stone a fair distance with those things. I don't care how tall you are, a decent sized rock at sufficient velocity is going to ruin anyone's day. There are even some historians who claim the moral of D vs G was the ancient equivalent of "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight" rather than "Trust in the Lord, and ye shall prevail".

Posted On:
    10/18/2012 7:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    On the subject of David and Goliath:

First of all, Dave didn't kill the big buy with his sling. He rocked him, and while Big Daddy G was stunned, the shepherd picked up the sword the giant had dropped and then FATALITY!

Secondly, it's not that improbable if you have have any knowledge at all of the history of the sling as a weapon. I've had the chance to fumble around with a replica version of the variety of sling historians think David's people used...you can chunk some pretty hefty hunks of stone a fair distance with those things. I don't care how tall you are, a decent sized rock at sufficient velocity is going to ruin anyone's day. There are even some historians who claim the moral of D vs G was the ancient equivalent of "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight" rather than "Trust in the Lord, and ye shall prevail".
    Those with experience of the weapons of the time, regardless of which side they were on, would doubtless be familiar with their capabilities, and would train and equip to protect themselves accordingly. If the story has D. vs. G face-to-face in an open field, then G. would likely have done so.

A more likely scenario: D. shows up first and gets position behind some bush or rock so he can see G. approach without being seen himself. When G. turns around and around to look for him, D. pings him in the back of the head below the helmet, stunning him, and finishes him with the sword before he can recover. This makes far more tactical sense than any face-to-face encounter.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2012 8:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure what your point is. Most soldiers were/are familiar with the weapons most commonly used in their era, it hasn't stopped quite a few of them from being killed by said weapons.

And going by the Old Testament, D vs G was a combat by champion. Actually, if Goliath was a professional duelist/champion, it makes sense that he might not have been as familiar with or had any respect for a commoner with a sling. A lot of noble French knights had similar thoughts about English peasants with long bows, much to their detriment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 12:55am

Style: FormerShotokan,Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe it should be clear that the David vs. Goliath-Story is most likely allegoric, the typical brain-beats-muscle interpretation of the local hero beating the philistene oppressors..

But assuming it was meant literal, then David seems to be quite the dickhead. The narrative of the bible tells of a fair duel which was fought for kingship. And David cheated, using a weapon which was neither common nor considered honorable by the philistenes.

Imagine Vitali Klitschko pulling out a gun and shooting his opponent in the face in the middle of a boxing-match. I doubt he would be declared king of the Ukraine afterwards.

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 1:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone have this clip in English?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHETutUjC9g

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 4:43am

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is. Most soldiers were/are familiar with the weapons most commonly used in their era, it hasn't stopped quite a few of them from being killed by said weapons.
    A whirling sling would be very visible to the person facing it in open duel. Rocks can be deadly, but do not fly like bullets. Have you faced thrown projectiles? I have, outside the club at closing. Bottles, bricks, and sort of detritus thrown by pissed-off idiots. Someone who sees a projectile coming--particularly a trained fighter--can avoid, parry or block the worst of it. No so if the slung rock is fired from behind in an ambush.

And going by the Old Testament, D vs G was a combat by champion. Actually, if Goliath was a professional duelist/champion, it makes sense that he might not have been as familiar with or had any respect for a commoner with a sling. A lot of noble French knights had similar thoughts about English peasants with long bows, much to their detriment.
    1066. Bows were commonly used on both sides, to the ultimate detriment of the English.