Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 2:04pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The true definition of badassery
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 2:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KENPO,MUAY THAI,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He put his shoe in his ass. Damn right you are in trouble.

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 3:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    After reading an exceptionally long Wikipedia reference, I gather that they do under certain circumstances.
    Disgracefully it's not automatic and it doesn't fully extend to their families.

While we have an open door to the whole of Europe's flotsam and jetsam to come here. And it takes us two decades to deport a hate peddling Jordanian terrorist. Yet, the ferociously brave and undoubtedly deserving Gurkhas have to jump through hoops and hope they don't get drawn up on a charge during their service, in order to settle here.

99.99% of Brits would extend the rights of full citizenship without condition to any Gurkha who served, because they're held in incredibly high regard here.

Unfortunately our scumbag politicians continue to screw them over and treat them like dirt, whilst refusing to pull up the carpet on European migrants and kowtowing to the ECHR in giving terrorists indefinite leave to remain.

Frankly it's a national embarrassment.

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 5:13pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharabus View Post
    yeah, Joanna Lumley, I believe her father was a British officer that served with the Ghurkas rather than a Ghurka himself,

from what I understand post 1997 Ghurkas already had this right, the fight was to give equal rights to soldiers who served prior to that.
    Her father was a Major in the 6th Gurkhas. There is a notable photo of him cradling his M1 carbine and alongside him is Brig Mad Mike Calvert. They were starting to roll up the Japanese in Burma.

As I understood it, upon Indian Independence, the Indian Govt entered into an Agreement with the UK upon the Gurkhas employment. India claimed a set number of Regiments and UK did the same. However to prevent disgruntlement, the UK had to agree wages at the same rate of that paid by the Indian Govt to its Gurkha Regts. On the face of it, a fantastic deal for UK but in truth, grossly unfair. So, the UK used to outfit its Gurkhas with Gifts in Kind. This included Coach tours of Europe and more.

Upon completion of their contracts (max 22 years in British Army) they usually Retired to Nepal. The Brigade of Gurkhas maintained a Lieutenant Colonel or Major to travel around Nepal to pay them their Pensions in Cash each year.

It's not widely known that Gurkhas would often buy Gold. Easily transportable and fairly liquid. However, from what I have heard, the Nepalese govt/Customs used to go through all their bags with the intention of confiscating their Gold. Not sure how true that is but that's what I have been told.

Anyway, Great Soldiers. Brave, Brave, Brave. Glad they've now go the Right to stay in the UK.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The black belt in karate and taekwondo
    The real deadly!
    “When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”
    ― George R.R. Martin

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 5:22pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, reminds me of that Knight in the Monty Python film.

[Loses arm] "Pah! A mere flesh wound! Let's have you!!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2012 10:05am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His wife was freaking out, so he tossed her his cell phone WHILE A DUDE WAS TRYING TO STAB HIM TO DEATH.

B.A.D.A.S.S.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2012 11:23am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Gurkhas are Cool!
    Damn straight. Something else that struck me when reading that article though - people from Kent suck.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    10/16/2012 11:34am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    Damn straight. Something else that struck me when reading that article though - people from Kent suck.
    I lived in Maidstone from 16-21

It sucked then

If it wasn't jakies then it was squadies
    “When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”
    ― George R.R. Martin

Posted On:
    10/16/2012 3:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Worth remembering the actions of Bishnu Shrestha two years ago.

On September 2, 2010, then 35-year-old Shrestha was on his way to Nepal after retiring from his Gurkha soldier military service whilst 15-40 armed robbers attacked the train in which he was travelling. The group robbed the passengers of their portable valuables (like money, jewellery, cellular phones and laptops). He intervened using his Kukri knife when the robbers tried to steal the jewelry of a mother and her 8-year-old daughter and attempted to rape an 18 year-old girl who pleaded for his help.. Shrestha killed at least three robbers before being subdued and may have injured as many as eight in addition to killing three, causing the thieves to panic and disperse. During the battle, he suffered a severe injury to his left arm.

When the intended rape victim's family offered him a large cash reward, he refused it with the following comment: "Fighting the enemy in battle is my duty as a soldier. Taking on the thugs on the train was my duty as a human being.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishnu_Shrestha

Something about Gurkhas and committing inhuman feats of badassery whilst being injured in the arm.

Even a cursory read of the history books of WWI and WWII and you'll stumble upon countless examples of Gurkhas doing the most insanely brave things and then on award of the medals for gallantry or bravery acting almost non-plussed.

Here's one classic example of the collosal injustice our government has inflicted on the brave Grukhas

No. 10119 Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun, 6th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army.

In Burma on 23 June 1944, a Battalion of the 6th Gurkha Rifles was ordered to attack the Railway Bridge at Mogaung. Immediately the attack developed the enemy opened concentrated and sustained cross fire at close range from a position known as the Red House and from a strong bunker position two hundred yards to the left of it.

The cross fire was so intense that both the leading platoons of 'B' Company, one of which was Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun's, were pinned to the ground and the whole of his Section was wiped out with the exception of himself, the Section commander and one other man. The Section commander immediately led the remaining two men in a charge on the Red House but was at once badly wounded. Rifleman Tulbahadur (sic) Pun and his remaining companion continued the charge, but the latter too was immediately wounded.

Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun then seized the Bren Gun, and firing from the hip as he went, continued the charge on this heavily bunkered position alone, in the face of the most shattering concentration of automatic fire, directed straight at him. With the dawn coming up behind him, he presented a perfect target to the Japanese. He had to move for thirty yards over open ground, ankle deep in mud, through shell holes and over fallen trees.

Despite these overwhelming odds, he reached the Red House and closed with the Japanese occupants. He killed three and put five more to flight and captured two light machine guns and much ammunition. He then gave accurate supporting fire from the bunker to the remainder of his platoon which enabled them to reach their objective.

His outstanding courage and superb gallantry in the face of odds which meant almost certain death were most inspiring to all ranks and beyond praise.
    For this action Tul Bahadur Pun was awarded the Victoria Cross the British equivalent of the Congressional Medal of Honor. Yet despite being awarded the VC in 1944 and being invited to the coronation of the Queen and the subsequent Buckingham palace party. He was not granted a right to live in this country until 2007 a full 63 years of monumental injustice. A 63 years during which pretty much all manner of immigrants had been permitted full rights not only to enter this country, but leave to remain and yet a proud and decent man who had received this countries highest award for gallantry during the most vital conflict of the last century was denied residency.

A total utter fucking disgrace.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12