Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 2:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ,WT,Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Atoning for my _unnery.

Hello everyone.after a few years of dropping off the grid, one of you(hopefully) less hated _unners decided to pop back in and see how this community is doing.

Ive started BJJ classes this month, and i have to say despite my Noobness,and horrible shape im in,its been tremendously fun,it hurts,makes me gasp desperately for air,or makes me feel dizzy,old and clumsy,but fun nonetheless.

we are a small class,most of us white belts,but those with relatively more experience are helping me along as they can,and i enjoy the ambiance of camaraderie and healthy ribbing.whenever they do shin surf my stomach it is with nary a hint of malice to their expression,blessīem.

The gym is small but quite well decked out for local standards,theres some MMA classes being offered but i can barely handle 3x a week as it is,between my poor shape and work schedule.

Overall i just think to myself "wish i had the funds to start doing this sooner" but only just recently has my financially situation finally emerged from the pit its been under for the past few years.(ironically the rest of the country keeps going to ****.)

Oh,and i missed you guys...sort of.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 5:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Escrimator View Post
    Ive started BJJ classes this month...
    Good to hear.

3x a week as it is...
    Great to hear.

Overall i just think to myself "wish i had the funds to start doing this sooner" but only just recently has my financially situation finally emerged from the pit its been under for the past few years.
    Them's the breaks. Out of curiosity, how much do they charge to let you go jogging in your country?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 5:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aptly put,now i know this place has not changed. :)
    I could of started getting in shape much sooner,very true..I just get bored with doing conditioning on my own and eventually stop.

On a side note,I am sure they would try to tax joggers if thought they could get a nice penny out of it.

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 6:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The lesson here is how crazy hard grappling is. I have seen some pretty in shape guys come into the gym and still be on the verge of puking after a few rounds.
    To me its the dirty little secret of ground fighting. If you don't train it you won't be conditioned for it. Nothing like huffing and puffing in a fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 6:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didnt really expect it to be easy.And yeah,i saw a guy who regularly does MT take the same first class as me and he seemed to be having as much difficulty when it came time to roll.
    At least im not dragging myself around after a class as i was at first,not that itīs a huge improvement but its encouraging.
    Last edited by Escrimator; 10/14/2012 7:04pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 5:49am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heh, I train exclusively MT now and am strongly considering picking up BJJ on the side or at least trying it, anyone let me know how they compare physically-taxing wise? Harder? About the same but just different?

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 6:01am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I have seen some pretty in shape guys come into the gym and still be on the verge of puking after a few rounds.
    I thought it was just me at first, then some younger guys (and a couple of gals) came in and they gassed quicker than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    To me its the dirty little secret of ground fighting. If you don't train it you won't be conditioned for it.
    One of the problems I have is that I trained to control my breathing while standing up. When I am compressed (bent like a pretzel LOL), my diaphragm seems to be in a position where I cannot deep breathe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 7:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Israfel View Post
    heh, I train exclusively MT now and am strongly considering picking up BJJ on the side or at least trying it, anyone let me know how they compare physically-taxing wise? Harder? About the same but just different?
    FWIW,my Instructor said apropos of the MT guy that its just different,but equally demanding.If you don't do something,its hard picking it up and managing your cardio,spent energy etc.

I am sure however,if that MT guy stuck around (he didnt),his overall better phisical shape would of prevailed once he got used to training,and been much better than say,me.