Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo and Wrestling

Hi, people. I am posting here because I am not entire sure how I should bring this question up.

About a month ago, I joined my university's judo club. I fell in love instantly. I like throwing, choking, locking, and all the groundworks. I think grappling is my style (for now, at least).

The only problem with the class is that it only meets up twice a week, Sunday and Tuesday. Then I learned about my university's wrestling club, which meets up every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

My question is, would it be a good idea to take up both of them?

While they are both grappling martial arts, obviously they are not the same thing. In my judo club, there is actually this one guy who is also in a wrestling team and he is very proficient. How well would techniques and reflexes from judo translate into wrestling and vice-versa?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dRoy; 10/12/2012 11:08am at . Reason: Typo

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do both.
    Just make sure while your doing Judo you cross face the hell out of people and use your strength use it as much as possible.
    While wrestling go for the joint locks they love that **** when you do it.

Seriously though they both offer good things and do help each other out, just be respectful of what your there to do at each of them.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Goodlun said. Just remember that you're at the judo club to learn judo, and the wrestling club to learn wrestling, so that you'll actually learn them both, instead of just how to wrestle against judo guys, or joint lock a wrestler and get kicked out of your club, or whathaveyou.

They seem conveniently designed for you to do both. Do it, you'll end up a much, much better grappler for it.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take up both, and relish the opportunity to train both at the same time. Post-university you will probably find you no longer have the time to anywhere near as much.

6 months down the line, and try competing in both and see which one leaves you feeling the warmest and fuzziest.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do both, be respectful, participate in competitions, got it.

Thanks for the answers, everyone.
    Last edited by dRoy; 10/13/2012 2:01pm at . Reason: Typo

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you a freshman? In my experience even 2 classes a week is a big commitment, I see a lot of college students who start at my club and then bail due to being overwhelmed. 5 practices a week is a lot on top of your coursework and social activities.

I also tend to worry about the difficulty of seperating related martial arts when you are a newb at both. I usually prefer people to get some sort of solid base in one art before picking up another. It would be different if you were combining a striking art with a grappling art.

For those reasons, I'd pick one or the other.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I am a freshman.

Hmm...those are both very valid reasons. The latter is particularly what I was worrying about.

So far my workload is manageable enough. I will think about after I take both of the courses next week.
    Last edited by dRoy; 10/13/2012 3:57pm at . Reason: Additional info.

Style
    mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tough choice

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    5 practices a week is a lot on top of your coursework and social activities.
    Well a few things its up to 5 practices a week I am sure he can miss one now and then.
    Hopefully if he does it, it will displace some of the "social activities" and not the coursework of course that is mostly wishful thinking. Most likely this will cause him to have even more social obligations as he makes friends with people from both clubs.
    I say give it a go and be willing to bail on one or the other if things get to be too much. Some kids can handle it some can't.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There really isn't any social activity going on in my life. Studying, exercise, reading, those are all I do.

Maybe that's why I can keep up with the courseload so far.
    Last edited by dRoy; 10/13/2012 5:02pm at . Reason: Being more concise.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last