Posted On:
    9/01/2012 12:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo+ Boxing and aging, too much?

Hi there,

i've been practicing judo for 10 years(brown belt) before i stopped 8 years ago(injuries,university,work ect..). I would like to resume my judo training and eventually get my shodan. On top of that, i would like to add some boxing to complement my training. I was planning to do judo and boxing twice a week. I will probably start my boxing first just to get in shape and resume my judo training after couple of weeks. So, it wont be a shock. The thing is that I'm not 20 anymore. Well, I'm 33 years old but I'm just questioning myself if it might be a little but too much.I mean, both are very demanding. I'm just "afraid" that i can do that now(and for a couple of years), but that 5 or 6 years from now, that age will kick in. Basically, i wont to be able to do both while getting older and relativity not be too much restricted .

Just wondering if some of your are actually doing both and how do you feel about it.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm not training for the ring, but for self-defense only.

Posted On:
    9/01/2012 6:37am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are 33 you could train for the ring if you wanted. Do both.

What is it with these 30 year olds who think they have one foot in the grave?
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    9/01/2012 6:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    33? I'm 47 and getting my gi ready for bjj.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2012 7:46am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Age is a state of mind.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2012 12:34pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUP View Post
    Age is a state of mind.
    I nominate this as the platitude of the day.

Can I get a second?

Posted On:
    9/01/2012 1:01pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From another old 30 something, i will recommend that you do BJJ, this is the old people's Judo. I am thinking of adding bjj on Fridays to round up my boxing, i got mangled in judo (years back), and a friend of mine who is a grappler told me that BJJ is way easier on your body (you have time to tap). So, my recommendation is, do boxing (buy a good head gear), because though it is hard it is one of the easier sports on your body if you don't spar too hard too often. And forget about Judo and go do BJJ, you will get good quick and you have a good chance to be able to do that for many years (it is also effective as SD).

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/01/2012 1:31pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll be fine. I started training BJJ at 32 and am still training 1-3 times every week eleven years later. Additionally I squeeze in a Judo session whenever I can.

You might need more than a few weeks before starting to crosstrain. I would advise 6 weeks of boxing before beginning Judo.

Also, cumulative wear and tear matters more than it did at 20. Be careful not to over train.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    9/01/2012 1:50pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friend of mine switched from Trad JJ (2nd Dan and ran his own club) to BJJ. He was embarrassed at one Open event when his opponent turned out to be a 70 year old man.

They are now both Purple Belts. So, if you want to, give it a go.

Good luck.

Posted On:
    9/01/2012 2:09pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JNP, how would you feel of a guy that comes to your bjj class, and says he has a problematic shoulder so he doesn't want to role hard, and do you think one can go to a bjj class and request from his sparring partners to refrain from leg locks and arm bars?? Or would one be too much of a nuisance?

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 4:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    From another old 30 something, i will recommend that you do BJJ, this is the old people's Judo. I am thinking of adding bjj on Fridays to round up my boxing, i got mangled in judo (years back), and a friend of mine who is a grappler told me that BJJ is way easier on your body (you have time to tap). So, my recommendation is, do boxing (buy a good head gear), because though it is hard it is one of the easier sports on your body if you don't spar too hard too often. And forget about Judo and go do BJJ, you will get good quick and you have a good chance to be able to do that for many years (it is also effective as SD).

The thing is what i don't like about BJJ is that they only focus(30% stand up and 70% ground) on the ground work. Like i said i wont train for the ring. I think that throws are more effective(and appropriate) for self defense. Also, I think that my judo ground game would be more than sufficient for self defense. To be honest, i never really liked ground game while doing judo competition when i was younger. I always been a stand up guy. But yeah, throws are harder on the body than ground game for sure...

I think i will do judo for a couple of years until i get my shodan. Then i'll do the switch to BJJ. I could always practice my judo throws once a while to keep the touch.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast