Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 6:07pm

Style: Judo & BJJ hacker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did any of them say "Don't do that throw in randoori until you can do it without hurting people,you big oaf!"? Cuz it's starting to look like negligence on the part of the instructors.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 7:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    As I get older, my ability to wield a ****** against young, strong guys gets less and less. Although I guess you could use a large enough carrot as a stick?
    *Chortles to self*

Honestly, it sounds like this club needs...I don't even know if there's an official term for it, that one guy who, when the wild and enthusiastic youth get a bit too wild and enthusiastic, comes around to sort them out, either by mashing their head into the floor until they learn to do better or just "Oops, you decided to be a hero in my armlock and now you must take three weeks of rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Shame, that."
    In BJJ this role is usually played by either the head black belt, although I have seen it taken up by particularly large and ugly browns and purples on occasion.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 10:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    *Chortles to self*

Honestly, it sounds like this club needs...I don't even know if there's an official term for it, that one guy who, when the wild and enthusiastic youth get a bit too wild and enthusiastic, comes around to sort them out, either by mashing their head into the floor until they learn to do better or just "Oops, you decided to be a hero in my armlock and now you must take three weeks of rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Shame, that."
    In BJJ this role is usually played by either the head black belt, although I have seen it taken up by particularly large and ugly browns and purples on occasion.
    The term you seek is "enforcer". One of my Japanese coaches was the enforcer at Tokai University. One can imagine how much a badass he was. 6'1" 260 pounds he was.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 10:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    The term you seek is "enforcer". One of my Japanese coaches was the enforcer at Tokai University. One can imagine how much a badass he was. 6'1" 260 pounds he was.
    At my old school in Louisiana, being a jerk during grappling was a sure fire way to get paired up with Stefan (6'6 320 Romanian judo blackbelt) or Shawn Jordan (starting LSU fullback, Texast state wrestling champion, would go on to fight in the UFC and Bellator). Personally, I was always happy when this happened, because otherwise my 6'3 220 self would be told "Vince, you're a big guy. Roll with Stefan/Shawn". For however many five minute rounds we were doing.

I will say this for the Romanian, his groundwork was like having a bulldozer drive slowly over you, but when it came time for stand up he was all foot sweeps and sacrifice throws...just soft touch, smooth throwing all the way around.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2012 3:34pm

Style: MMA, Hoshinsul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For some reasons a lot of wrestlers can be like this when switching disciplines. Why, this happened to me at my new school just last week: So, I went to my first MMA class last week, and there was another new student there. Being friendly, I introduced myself. I found through small talk that this guy was a former wrestler (high school level). After some drilling and pad work, we were all instructed to get ready for sparring. As I was taking a short break, sitting on the bench getting geared up, this guy sits next to me and goes "hey man, you wanna spar me!?" I knew then I was in for trouble. I replied that usually the coaches make the matches and that I didn't think it would be a good idea to match the two new people up. He replied "I don't know man, sounds like a good time to me!" Anyway, we eventually did get paired up. I chose to be nice to the guy seeing as how he had no striking experience and I was going pretty light. To my surprise, he seemed to be intent on working as well. After a bit of boxing, I was taken down, and he passed my guard. Nothing crazy, just good technical work. I was beginning to think I had misjudged this man.

Then he made his way to mount. As soon as this guy lands in mount, he starts teeing off on me. Being cautious about him, I was surprised to be attacked like that, but at the same time I had not let my guard down, and all of the blows bounced harmlessly off my guard while I performed an Upa. Unfortunately, the buzzer rang before I could use my fists to tell this guy what I thought of him.

It's my belief that he encountered one of our enforcers last week when I wasn't in class, because I have not seen him since that incident. Point is, sometimes giving a taste of what they dish out is all that's really necessary to fix these guys. Either they will get the message, or they will quit.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234