Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello - Brief Intro and Question!

Hello,
    I'm from England, practised in a few styles such as Muay Thai, Shotokan and Jiujitsu but predominantly Shoktan.
    I was a black belt when I was 11, won some regional comps & attended the EMA's (If they're even still around?) in 2003 (Would've been 9 at the time!) Ever since I turned 12 and put all of my energy into rugby (Ended up playing international age grade and for a professional academy) I sort of forgot all about martial arts and now i'm looking at getting back into it with a mix of styles, including shoto
    My main query at the minute is, would my black belt still stand even though my license expired 8 years ago? I haven't trained in 7/8 years so my form and technique is going to be dreadful, just concerned that I would have to start back at white and progress all the way through again?
    Any replies to the question will be much appreciated

Style
    mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A rugby player?

Take up judo my friend.

Rugby is excellent training for judo

Style
    Kali
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi and welcome,

my initial question would be, why would you want to present yourself as a black belt based on (your self admitted) bad form and a BB issues as a kid? surely you would want to rank again?

as far as answering the question, I guess it would depend on who you train under i can imagine most places would want you to grade again

Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers Doofaloofa, I'll have a look into it!

Pharabus; It's not that I would want to present myself as one from the get go, as I say before, my technique would actually be horrendous now, same goes for if I stopped rugby for a few years, but by the same token, I'm proud I achieved it, would just be nice to have say 12 months to get myself back up to speed through constant training and continue as opposed to starting from white again, but that wouldn't really bother me anyway, should make the gradings alot easier as I know what to expect.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just train, and I'd second Judo as a suggestions.

Having a black belt might mean something, or it could mean absolutely nothing. (a kiddie black belt likely means the latter). I've sparred absolutely annihilated some black belts in sparring, and I've gotten my ass handed to me by some "white" belts. Don't worry about belt color, just try to have fun and learn something.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know how to put this nicely, so I'll say it outright and see how that goes: a black belt that you can earn as an eleven year old, isn't something to be proud of. In fact the argument could be made that it isn't even something you "earn" it's something that's given.

Why retain that rank? When you say that your form would be too sloppy, you're essentially saying that you're not at a black belt level, so why wear one? And if it makes you proud that you worked your way up the ranks the first time, it would seem like it'd be another opportunity to feel good about yourself when you do it again. Why not?

Also, any striking art that's trained alive would get you into better shape and toughen you up a bit more than shoto. I don't know if you're still playing rugby, but I'd imagine those are two important qualities for a player.

Do whatever's fun for you though, just do check out Judo. Doofa's right, it's ideal for taking a mofo down.

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering what goes on in a lot of the karate clubs I've been to I'd be very surprised if they didn't just let you start training, polish up on the kata, then charge you 50 and let you grade for black again after three months.

Would you really want to do that though? You've clearly got considerable athletic ability - I think you'd find it much more rewarding to test yourself by getting back to a Thai gym, or try an MMA class or three. I suspect you'd find the hard, resistant sparring pretty addictive, especially compared with what you'd be doing in Shotokan/most other styles of karate in the UK.

Where do you live?

Oh, and welcome to Bullshido.