Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 10:33am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Han Quing Tan Systems Historical Videos

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTIzNzE1MzY=.html

Quite an interesting little video.

Don't think its been posted before - search didn't show anything up....

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezmond View Post

you seem to be fishing for other people's opinions before stating your own. while technically you didn't break the forum rules by posting a video with zero text content, you skirted that rule by posting text that doesn't say anything about the video.

i have some opinions on what i saw, but i would like to hear why you posted it first. why do you think it is of interest, and what aspects of it do you want to discuss?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 12:49pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Ming Loyalist said.

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 2:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

An aggressively played two-man set. Two-man sets are fun to play with, but I do wonder if they just take up space in training better served by free play/sparring.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 2:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yep, like Ming said, time to start stating your opinions. Yes, posting a link and scooting along is against the rules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 9:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yep, like Ming said, time to start stating your opinions. Yes, posting a link and scooting along is against the rules.
    Jeez. I enjoyed watching it. Thought you might.

If I'm honest, my technical knowledge of CMA is pretty limited, I've only been training for 4 years, and the reason I like this site is because its has people who know what they're talking about. "Fishing for opinions" you might say or deferring to people who know more. I know its not as entertaining as posting a load of ill conceived **** that you can tear to pieces, but I an happy to admit that I come here to learn something. And laugh at ill conceived **** being torn to pieces.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 7:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    An aggressively played two-man set. Two-man sets are fun to play with, but I do wonder if they just take up space in training better served by free play/sparring.
    I didn't even realise it was a two man set...I just thought it was some sort of slowed down sparring. Then I saw that kick and roll again at the end of the second video and thought hmm.
    Do you think that this sort of training can be a bridge between the stuff we do in forms and actual fighting? I know that when I spar I tend to revert to type and go bouncy bouncy karate, but occasionally things get close and something a bit more "taiji" comes out.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 8:06am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeez. I enjoyed watching it. Thought you might.

If I'm honest, my technical knowledge of CMA is pretty limited, I've only been training for 4 years, and the reason I like this site is because its has people who know what they're talking about. "Fishing for opinions" you might say or deferring to people who know more. I know its not as entertaining as posting a load of ill conceived **** that you can tear to pieces, but I an happy to admit that I come here to learn something. And laugh at ill conceived **** being torn to pieces.
    you're not getting what i was saying at all. i'm not looking to bash you for ill conceived ****, but you asked for a discussion and brought ZERO to the table.

i asked you some questions, and you ignored them. i'll ask them again:

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    why do you think it is of interest, and what aspects of it do you want to discuss?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you think that this sort of training can be a bridge between the stuff we do in forms and actual fighting?
    The two-man forms I know are like learning how not to step on your dance partner's toes. As far as I know, these are mostly timing/distance drills and part of bridge training in styles like hung kuen; a way of learning to make contact, keep contact, and move around with a partner while maintaining your balance and not falling on your ass like a clown.

Very basic drills to prepare for sparring and even further from actual fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 10:42pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    you're not getting what i was saying at all. i'm not looking to bash you for ill conceived ****, but you asked for a discussion and brought ZERO to the table.

i asked you some questions, and you ignored them. i'll ask them again:
    It feels like you're saying I'm not pulling my weight around here. I'm sorry.

In my defence, at no point did I ask for a discussion or demand to hear peoples opinions. I posted something which I found interesting, perhaps daring to hope that a discussion might blossom, like a beautiful flower, watered with your words and warmed by the gentle sunshine of your wisdom.

I tried real hard to generate an opinion all of my own when I replied to Rivingtons post. If this wasn't enough, then, again, I'm sorry.

I promise to try harder in future.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast