Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2012 12:01pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Eye gouging

Hello

I have a quick question about levals of force required for dealing with a situation.

I know for example the police have levals of force that they adhere to one example of this is say they are retraining someone who is resisting usually they will tackle the person to the floor and say "stop resisiting" if that doesnt work they would threaten the pepper spray to be used and if then the person didnt stop struggling they would spray.

a clear guideline of upping the leval of force untill compliance is reached.

BUT what happens if you dont have any pepper spray or a baton how do you respond to somnething like your tackling an assailant to the ground and you put them in a non dangerous holddown from judo and the guy decides to try to gouge your eyes and mouth, they are clearly trying to rip your eye from its socket.

How do you respond?

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/07/2012 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollykate View Post
    I have a quick question about levals of force required for dealing with a situation.
    The Use of Force Continuum is what you are referring to.

Levels of Resistance vs Levels of Control.

Psychological Intimidation = Officer Presence
    Verbal Non-compliance = Verbal Direction
    Passive Resistance = Soft Empty-Hand
    Defensive Resistance = Hard Empty-Hand
    Active Aggression = Intermediate Weapons
    Deadly Force Assault = Deadly Force

To answer your question, you use what you have at hand. If it goes from verbal non-compliance to active aggression and you do not have intermediate weapons (pepper-spray, baton, or Taser), you can escalate to deadly force if you can articulate how you were in fear for your life or receiving great bodily-harm.

Although use of force models by US agencies vary somewhat, the standard for using deadly-force is always the same. If someone is trying to gouge your eyes out, you are in danger of having great bodily-harm done to you.

Last edited by slamdunc; 10/07/2012 12:36pm at .

Posted On:
    10/07/2012 2:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the UK (and you are in the UK, are you not?) it's the concept of Reasonable Force to which you must adhere. Now, define "Reasonable Force"....that's the nub of it.

If you have someone under restraint, then putting fingers in their eye(s) will likely fail in Court. With a Judo skillset, you could likely put them to sleep; problem solved.

In the UK, pepper spray is illegal and you'll have trouble explaining away the baton.

Tell the Police that you were "in fear for my Life" and keep repeating it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2012 3:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see, thanks guys!
    So would an acceptable use of force be bite down on the assailants fingers while they are in your mouth and elbow the face?.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2012 3:42pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this a hypothetical situation, or are you experiencing this right now?

I anyone puts anything in your mouth I think you'd be well within your rights to bite down on it.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/07/2012 3:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    I anyone puts anything in your mouth I think you'd be well within your rights to bite down on it.
    Yes, it is well within your personal space; the space that you have every right to defend. If you are in that close of quarters with someone who is trying to harm you, there are also other factors that apply. The age, size, and skill factors all come into play here as well. Lots of variables, little time to make a decision in the heat of battle.

Posted On:
    10/07/2012 4:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing to know here is there are no hard and fast rules. The law is full of the statement reasonable. It expects you to act well reasonably to the situation.

If its reasonable for you to bite, eye gouge, crotch kick, choke, arm bar, or what and you can successfully argue the point that it was reasonable then you are fine.
    If not your fucked.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/07/2012 11:15pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollykate View Post
    Hello

I know for example the police have levals of force that they adhere to one example of this is say they are retraining someone who is resisting usually they will tackle the person to the floor and say "stop resisiting" if that doesnt work they would threaten the pepper spray to be used and if then the person didnt stop struggling they would spray.

a clear guideline of upping the leval of force untill compliance is reached.

BUT what happens if you dont have any pepper spray or a baton how do you respond to somnething like your tackling an assailant to the ground and you put them in a non dangerous holddown from judo and the guy decides to try to gouge your eyes and mouth, they are clearly trying to rip your eye from its socket.

How do you respond?
    Get out of the Armory troll.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 2:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Get out of the Armory troll.
    I fall for it every time. I was seriously on track and got blind-sided. If it isn't a troll job, goodlun used the word reasonable. Reasonable objectivity is the standard. What would a normal person with the same level of training and experience do under similar circumstances.

Last edited by slamdunc; 10/08/2012 2:24am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 4:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a troll, this is a real question why is everyone all up in my ****?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast