Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

love hate relationship with karate

Hey there bullshido-ers. been lurking here for a couple of days. This place has truly opened my eyes (aliveness and what not...). Well I' ve been practicing shotokan for a while, and I have a love hate relationships with it especially the sparring, I get the point; distancing blah blah blah explisoveness yada yada. The fact is I'm always getting disqualified, for excessive contact. So i'm going on a hiatus (sick of getting told to sit in the corner). Looking for other arts while I'm on leave,It may help me get better, may make me quit karate ( which I love and hate ), any advice on places to go. I live in Waitakere New Zealand.

Going to the kali classes in this club called reACtion school of martial arts
    opinions anyone

thanks in advance,
    Wukong

(btw how do you change your avatar sorry I'm a complete newb/noob)

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. If you're getting DQ'd for excessive contact, you are taking steps in the right direction LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dunno how far out in the waitaks you are, but there are some great muay thai gyms in and around auckland.

from watching the video on the rweaction website, they seem to think that kneeling on someones shoulder is enough to get them to tap out. just going off the blurb and video i would avoid it, but i guess its worth a look at if you cant find anything else out there, and the kali might be legit, the dude teaching has trained with the dog brothers apparently.

Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will check out the kali classes soon, will try out some judo as well. scouting for some places for muay thai, Lee gar sounds like a good place as well as strike force. Strikeforce being an mma place I asked my mum If I can go. this is how the conversation went.

Me: Can I go to an mma place
    Mum: you what??
    me: no.. nothing

being the rebel I'am, I will try to check out their classes

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    strikeforce is an excellent gym, one of the best MMA places in the country, their muay thai fighters are excellent too. tell your mum its karate with silly headbands.

Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hahahaha that will probably work

thanks a lot btw

Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your dojo is teaching you to fight according to
    tourney rules...ask them for your happy
    meal...you've got a Mcdojo

LOL excessive contact...

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any Kyokushin around? That way you could continue to do karate, and still not suck.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there's also steve olivers gracie barra out west too ( glen eden I think). It's top BJJ and mma club.

Style
    MMA noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakeha View Post
    there's also steve olivers gracie barra out west too ( glen eden I think). It's top BJJ and mma club.
    I seem to recall that Olivers is quite expensive. If you are on a budget I reckon Strikeforce would probably be quite a bit cheaper and they seem to do pretty well in the local competitions. Then again, you could always join Maai Hyoshi and train to be an MMA ninja.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last