Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Unchosen
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Choosing a self defense Martial Art

Im a tiny white girl with no strength whatsoever who has to constantly wait at like 2am in the morning at bus stops in the middle of god knows what ghetto in vegas...

Its kinda sorta really scarey at times, because some guys dont take the hint that I dont want to flirt in a dimly lit bus stop with some huge person I dont know in the wee hours of the morning...

Sooo I want to take some self defense training, I dunno if it will really help but at the very least I'd be a little less scared.

The question is which martial art, theres soooo many. I was gonna take aikido but then like I read all this negative feedback about how its unrealistic and such. Sooo for a little white girl whats the best martial art to defend herself?

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. You are going to get a bunch of answers to your post. For the situation you describe, you should: 1. Get a CCW and carry, 2. carry OC or Mace, 3. move the hell out of Las Vegas. Situational awareness is a good thing, martial arts training will give you some degree of confidence, but there is no magic formula. Reality can really suck sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ditto. Take any art that you see widely used on mma, just to learn what is possible and what is not. But have a gun and learn to use it.

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best thing is to get some sort of an equalizer whether a gun or a shocker maybe even pepper spray. Just learn how to use them good, and train with them. I assume you can’t avoid those hours and locations, so I won’t tell you the obvious “avoid dangerous places”. Be alert and ready to run away if someone starts ****. As for a MA we all would agree that the best thing for self-defence is to cross train. You would want a striking MA, like MT (Muai Thai kickboxing), boxing, Karate etc. Basically, anything with “alive” training (mouth guard, gloves, and full contact on a regular basis). For the grappling part, Judo and BJJ would do you good. Here I would also have to add that let’s say you train in a good MT/kickboxing place three times a week, and three times a week you also cross train with Judo (extensive training). You are still a little women, which means your average big man will be stronger, so though taking a lot of good MA will make you stronger, fitter and more confident you can’t expect to be stronger than a 100 kg thug (imo). That does not cancel the benefits ofcource and your chances to surprise an attacker with a throw or a good kick and then run safely increases tenfold. Just be realistic about what you can get. If you think doing some Krav Maga/kung fu a couple of times a week for a few months is going to bridge the size and strength you lack, you are misguided.
    Someone like you would need to train in sport MA for a minimum of 4 times a week, preferably 6 for 3 years before you can even think of fighting a thug successfully. So if you think of going down this road (which is good), just know that this is some serious time consuming even life changing decision.

Style
    Unchosen
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mmm guns are kinda scary too , but I've been kinda wondering If I shouldnt learn how to use one lately...

But ok cool so basically just start going to some kickboxing/boxing classes then and work out?

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea sounds like a plan to me

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reika View Post
    But ok cool so basically just start going to some kickboxing/boxing classes then and work out?
    More importantly, learn situational awareness and de-escalation. If creepy guys hitting on you is what you're worried about, the decisions you make, the way you carry yourself, and the way you interact with them if you are forced to, will be far more effective and reliable than trying to fight your way to safety.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mmm guns are kinda scary too , but I've been kinda wondering If I shouldnt learn how to use one lately.
    A gun isn't anything to be scared of; it is a tool or an extension.
    Good idea, the added benefit is with the cardio, if you can't kick their ass, shoot them or spray them, at least you can out run them.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Reika

Here is a thread on your situation

Hope you enjoy the read and it helps answer some of your questions

*edit* also ensure your footware is appropriate for running

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    A gun isn't anything to be scared of; it is a tool or an extension.
    Just like martial arts, you will not become proficient with a firearm unless you train with it regularly. This means a gun safety class as well as a one that covers markmanship and FTF (failure to fire/failure to feed) situations. Afterward, time to hit the gun range on a regular basis.

As far as unarmed situations are concerned, boxing probably offers the quickest real benefits to someone small like you. With an emphasis on cardio, some of the best footwork around and lots of practical application, I would say it's your best bet.

Learn Judo for the long haul. It takes years to get good at Judo though. Of course, the same could be said for any combat sport, such as boxing. The difference is that the 200 lb drunk doesn't come crashing down on top of you nearly as often if you mess up a jab-cross combination as opposed to an uchimata Judo throw.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last