228870 Bullies, 5061 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    10/07/2012 2:24am

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since drumming is already well associated with hand and wrist injuries, I think you'll actually be increasing your chances of suffering one significantly if you both drum and box.

How you wrap your hands might not really matter, the long-term effects of combining both might not be something you want.

If it's a risk you're still willing to take, I'd talk to a doctor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2012 10:00pm

Style: non right now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all for your thoughts. My hands are a concern for sure. I've thought about the different styles of self defense I could do and it seems a striking art would be best for me because styles with wrist locks and wrist twists would cause me more potential pain. Plus, it seems that boxing is a very effective form of self defense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 3:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you guys think that Boxing may not be for me what style do you think I should take for real world self defense? This is very important to me.

Also, I have gout in my left big toe and have read that if i injure it it could make my gout worse. I really dont want that as this is VERY painful.

Thanks all!

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/17/2012 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
    If you guys think that Boxing may not be for me what style do you think I should take for real world self defense? This is very important to me.
    judo for sure, because no one ever hurts their hands in judo.

(i'm being very sarcastic. judo is very hard on fingers and wrists, i have torn tendons in several fingers, and sprained both wrists. dislocations are fairly common.)

seriously, however, maybe martial arts aren't for you if you are so concerned about your hands. i'm a sysadmin, and make my living typing on a keyboard, but i managed to do chinese kickboxing and judo. yeah injuries suck, but they heal up.

if you want to do martial arts, especially for self defense, do boxing or judo, and don't worry so much.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2012 7:41am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    if you want to do martial arts, especially for self defense, do boxing or judo
    "OR"????

;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2012 1:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    judo for sure, because no one ever hurts their hands in judo.

(i'm being very sarcastic. judo is very hard on fingers and wrists, i have torn tendons in several fingers, and sprained both wrists. dislocations are fairly common.)

seriously, however, maybe martial arts aren't for you if you are so concerned about your hands. i'm a sysadmin, and make my living typing on a keyboard, but i managed to do chinese kickboxing and judo. yeah injuries suck, but they heal up.

if you want to do martial arts, especially for self defense, do boxing or judo, and don't worry so much.
    Thanks for the advice man! I hope to start boxing lessons soon! Im gonna try not to worry so much (I do struggle with that).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 4:04am

Style: Western Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody said it. Keep your wraists straight WHEN PUNCHING. two, keep your little finger as tight as possible, less chance of injury. Proof,Have someone squeze your as hard as they can. Do this again holding their little finger from making the fist. These will reduce the chance of injuries. As you advance in your training only tighten the fist just before contact,this reduces arm fagitue. Joe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2012 6:19am

Style: Whatever I can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    I'f you're just starting out the most important way to protect your hands is to remember technique before power, i.e. when you start hitting bags you don't need to pound away on the fuckers as hard as you can, work on correct technique and building speed before power.

Other than that wrap the hands and ask around for glove recommendations.

Some wacky guy with pink hair did a good instructional vid on hand wrapping here:

Wrapping your hands will also help stop your gloves going rancid from sweat.
    Yeah, I agree. Go easy at first. Your wrists will give way with every bad hit, and no matter what, if you train properly, you will still hurt your hands somewhat. This will continue well into your training, in my experience.
    Recently, I had a half -drunken sparring match (never a good idea... or is it? I'm often half drunk when I'm out on the 'mean streets', and this is when I am most likely to be assaulted... but I digress...) with large, homemade practice knives (bowies). My cousin, who was also half-drunk, did a clumsy thrust at my guts. I saw it coming a mile off, and thought "I'll cut this fucker's arm right OFF!" and proceeded to do so. Only problem was, my cut was also clumsy, and I stuck my index finger out. It connected with his forearm, and dislocated badly. I couldn't get it back in, and nearly puked trying. My angry wife had to drive me to outpatients, where the triage nurse told me it was one of the best she had seen, and took a pic with here mobile phone!
    Point is - you will always **** with your hands practicing ANY martial art. I play guitar and a few other things, and couldn't for a month after that effort. I still can't bend it properly. It is the price we pay for being awesome killing machines, eh?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12