--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A complete and utter noob

I've lurked, and now i've signed up. I am a... well, I think the word is recluse. I have no real "sporty" experience to speak of. I have been interested in getting into a martial art for a while. But I have all the coordination and body control of a brick. I live in Wollongong, but am a full time student (I can work around that, though).
    If anyone wants to give some wisdom, or has more of an idea of what would be a good thing to try out, please let me know!
    Nice to meet everyone!

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These guys are the first in a google search and seem okay on preliminary observation:
    http://www.reflexcentre.com.au/
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome Cargo Crabs.

Start slow. Maybe start exercising a bit now, before you plunge head first.

Nothing more to add, but love the user name.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, thanks!

I'll check that place out when I can.
    Also, what exercise would you suggest starting off with? I'm seriously considering Muay Thai, if only on the glowing recommendation of a guy I know.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some people recommend doing exercise before beginning martial arts, like hungryjoe above. Me, I recommend doing martial arts to begin exercising. Muay Thai is good. If you have a mate that does it already, go with him and check it out. A waterfall starts with a drop of water. All good journeys begin with the first step. Various other motivational phrases.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do it up, man. MT is hard conditioning-wise but you can definitely do it if you sack up. I have a bit of it under the belt and I can say it was enjoyable as a whole.

Style
    Aikido / FMA / Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My 2c:

Top priority has to be to pick something you enjoy.

All the other issues of effectiveness, fitness or even cost, don't matter for **** if you find yourself making excuses not to go.

Love what you do, then prioritise accordingly

Welcome to Bullshido :-)

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    My 2c:

Top priority has to be to pick something you enjoy.

All the other issues of effectiveness, fitness or even cost, don't matter for **** if you find yourself making excuses not to go.

Love what you do, then prioritise accordingly

Welcome to Bullshido :-)
    True, but it's hard to find MA's that aren't at least "fun" (Yes I know, but I said hard not impossible) it just depends on your idea of fun, and how long you stick with it. Myself, I gravitate towards grappling, it comes more naturally to me and I have a blast doing it. When I started taking kickboxing classes, I felt like a fish out of water. The first practices were hell, even though I was already in pretty damn good shape, and the learning curve just seemed too steep to overcome at first.

Some MAs, you'll have to invest time and effort before you get to experience how fun they truly can be. I highly recommend Muay Thai, at the place where your friend is doing it if possible.

As for battlefields recommendation: the instructor on the BJJ page is wearing Adidas shell-toes (shoes) on the mat. While I can't argue with his sense of taste, I do have to call BLASPHEMY.