Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 7:33am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Favorit fucos mitts combinations?

Hey all. I was hoping you can give me some new ideas for focus mitts and MT pads combinations.
    The combinations obviously need to be applicable and effective.
    If you can categorize it to beginners and advanced it will be great!, if you have links to videos of combos you liked and feel helped you, even better.
    Also some drills for conditioning (absorbing strikes) the legs and torso will be appreciated.
    Thank you very much in advance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2012 9:08am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The combinations only work good, IF you have a good mitt holder. I try to keep my combinations short, 1-6 techniques. I don't really have them broke down into verying levels, as much as I see how the combo will work for each fighter.

Here are a few:

Jab, cross
    Jab, jab, cross
    Cross, hook, cross
    Teep, cross, hook, low roundhouse
    Jab, cross, hook, cross
    Jab, cross, slip right, cross
    Overhand right, shovel hook, inside leg roundhouse

Does your coach work mitts with you? Or is this more, you working with a friend? Take it slow and see what you can come up with.

Drils for conditioning the body? Start trading shots with your training partners unchecked to the parts of the body you want conditioned. This mixed with intense physical exercise will start getting you conditioned. JMO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2012 9:56am

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My favorite combo right now:

Jab
    Left Hook
    Right Cross
    Left Hook
    Right Hook

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2012 10:11am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm terrible at memorizing combos.

We use a basic set of 4

1) Jab
    2) Jab-Cross
    3) Jab-Cross-Hook
    4) Jab-Cross-Hook-Uppercut

Then we add kicks, spinning backfists and evasion, so you end up with a set like 3-bob-2-kick-2-cover up-2

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 2:49am

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My favourite combo, which is a bugger to get down and land all, but when done right is very effective is

Jab
    cross
    Push kick (Teep)
    inside leg kick
    jab
    cross

This really leaves your opponent guessing as you are aiming to strike all viable areas whilst keeping a good distance from the first cross. Most people (correct me if I'm wrong here) will tend to try and counter after a cross has been thrown, which opens them up to the push kick and as they are off balance from that, the inside leg kick can do some serious damage.

It does all depend on who you are sparring with though, of course, and how hard you are planning to go with it.

As for conditioning, building up the intensity of attacks whilst trying not to block them will help. Or you can just do some rounds of conditioning only where you would take turns to land strikes on each other for a minute or two with a completely open guard (not advisable for the face if you don't like black eyes though!). One of my favourites (but bloody horrible at the same time) is to stand in the corner of the ring and have somebody throw a medicine ball at your guts whilst you try not to piss yourself on impact!

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 3:37am

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being short and an infighter by necessity, I tend to change levels a lot. These are all assuming both people are orthodox. Asterisks are things I think have concepts that beginners should work on, or rather, things I wish I'd learned as a beginner.

Jab, cross, left body hook, left head hook, right kick- You can put the kick wherever, but I generally go to the leg or the body to keep things mixed up.

Jab, right body hook, right uppercut, left hook, right knee- Or the Tyson, as my coach calls it. You can also end this by shoving them off and throwing a kick, but by the time I throw the last punch, I'm usually in so tight that it's clinch time anyway.

*Jab, cross, hold for a second, cross- The pause before the second cross really tends to screw your opponent's rhythm up because they've usually started a counter by then and will run right into it.

Left uppercut, cross, cut hard to the left, kick the back leg- I land this a LOT. Most people don't really expect to get hit in the back leg so they'll just stand there and watch you whack them. The footwork is important, though. No bunny hopping. You have to make sure to keep the cut smooth or you'll just be stuck there, and by the time you get unstuck, the opening will be gone.

*Hook, leg kick- Nice and basic. Make sure not to look at the leg when you throw the kick and this will land most of the time. The hook is mostly there for distraction, but if it lands, even better.

*Jab, cross to the body, hook to the head- Again, pretty basic, but good to get used to the idea of changing levels. Headhunting all the time makes Jack a dull boy.

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 4:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    The combinations only work good, IF you have a good mitt holder. I try to keep my combinations short, 1-6 techniques. I don't really have them broke down into verying levels, as much as I see how the combo will work for each fighter.

Here are a few:

Jab, cross
    Jab, jab, cross
    Cross, hook, cross
    Teep, cross, hook, low roundhouse
    Jab, cross, hook, cross
    Jab, cross, slip right, cross
    Overhand right, shovel hook, inside leg roundhouse

Does your coach work mitts with you? Or is this more, you working with a friend? Take it slow and see what you can come up with.

Drils for conditioning the body? Start trading shots with your training partners unchecked to the parts of the body you want conditioned. This mixed with intense physical exercise will start getting you conditioned. JMO.
    I'm an assisting coach, when i sub for him i like working a lot of mitts with the guys, i fill like we don't do enough of it. Thank you for you time! what is a shovel hook?(jumping forward hook?).

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 4:57am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jab, jab, cross, low roundhouse.
    Jab, cross, low front kick, inside leg kick.
    Jab, cross, hook, uppercut, hook, low roundhouse.

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 5:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    Being short and an infighter by necessity, I tend to change levels a lot. These are all assuming both people are orthodox. Asterisks are things I think have concepts that beginners should work on, or rather, things I wish I'd learned as a beginner.

Jab, cross, left body hook, left head hook, right kick- You can put the kick wherever, but I generally go to the leg or the body to keep things mixed up.

Jab, right body hook, right uppercut, left hook, right knee- Or the Tyson, as my coach calls it. You can also end this by shoving them off and throwing a kick, but by the time I throw the last punch, I'm usually in so tight that it's clinch time anyway.

*Jab, cross, hold for a second, cross- The pause before the second cross really tends to screw your opponent's rhythm up because they've usually started a counter by then and will run right into it.

Left uppercut, cross, cut hard to the left, kick the back leg- I land this a LOT. Most people don't really expect to get hit in the back leg so they'll just stand there and watch you whack them. The footwork is important, though. No bunny hopping. You have to make sure to keep the cut smooth or you'll just be stuck there, and by the time you get unstuck, the opening will be gone.

*Hook, leg kick- Nice and basic. Make sure not to look at the leg when you throw the kick and this will land most of the time. The hook is mostly there for distraction, but if it lands, even better.

*Jab, cross to the body, hook to the head- Again, pretty basic, but good to get used to the idea of changing levels. Headhunting all the time makes Jack a dull boy.
    We also work with those padding belts so changing levels can get real! I usually won't cut and create an angle after an attack because there is a good chance he will step back and than my angle is ruined, and no back leg kicking for me. What i do though is wait till he misses a punch or better a kick and cut it than. He goes forward while i go outside than there is a split sec when you can land nicely.
    In the combos i create i like to add a lot of defending and bobbing to make it more "fight like".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 10:35pm

Style: Tabimina Balintawak

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    In the combos i create i like to add a lot of defending and bobbing to make it more "fight like".
    If you want to make it more fight like, consider ditching the patterns. If your guys are just regurgitating pre-arranged movements, theyre consciously thinking about it and the reactionary cross-over is not optimal. Make them react. Dont tell them whats next, give them an actual challenge, one that is above them, but one they can also overcome in the short term...

Sorry if this post is a bit old on the topic...I just see a lot of this sort of thing and feel its worth commenting on.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast