Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 8:33am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Set up for Harai Goshi ideas

I've been working on my harai goshi. Any good ideas for setting it up? Obviously I want to get my opponent up on his toes. How do you successfully set it up?

Thanks in advance.

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 7:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach teaches a circling step that starts by stepping forward on a diagonal with your sleeve-grip side and backwards in a circle along with a strong pull on the lapel-grip side. If they follow, you continue the pull to bring them on their toes. Then hit your back-step.

Words are so, so inadequate for describing technique.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 8:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good idea. in other words circling working the angles. thanks.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 10:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there is a user on here named judoka_uk and he has posted a series of articles in this sub-forum as well as others which are extremely good at describing how to approach a number of throws. he doesn't cover harai goshi, but he does cover uchi mata, and tai otoshi, and you can get good ideas from those.

in fact,you should read all the articles he posted here or on his blog, it will only help your judo to do so.

protip: you can find them easily by doing a search for all threads started by him
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 10:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great idea. Love his stuff. He does a great job of breaking down a lot of very complex throws in easy to understand steps. Will check it out. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 2:03am

Style: mostly BJJ with some Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i always liked the classic combo of osoto into Harai myself....or at least my rather shitty attempts at it :-) often ends up with a bastard version of o-guruma on the end, and no idea by me of how it got there!

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 5:24am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have always set it up with an over the back grip as a counter to someone shooting for an under hook. However, to be fair I rarely used it when I was doing Judo full time, I more use it at my BJJ academy as most people's takedowns there are wrestling so it tends to present itself more.

Like this (on iOS, can't embedd):

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=u7Wlc...%3Du7WlcwRJxT0
    Last edited by Plasma; 10/04/2012 5:29am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 9:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plasma, that's a sweet set-up.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 3:12pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I set mine up by swinging to the outside like in these videos.

3:01

1:18

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2012 3:48pm

Style: jujitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With the lapel grip a good shove into the throat usually breaks the balance and makes him react, and you can put your elbow under the arm pit for a stronger base. With the sleeve grip a good forward pull will lift up uki. When the neck shock makes uki react that is when you shuffle in while keepping the momentum moving forward.

Not specifically Harai Goshi, but Karo Parisyan has a great Judo for MMA video with a lot of great setups, and real moves that really work in Randori. I have used his Uchi Mata set up many times when someone is going for a half assed osoto gari. Many good ideas in this video, but its no gi.

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast