Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 9:56am

Style: Jujitsu and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbirdseye View Post
    So, um, what style/organisation of jujitsu is that? Have you been doing it long? Is this your club: http://www.londonjujitsu.com/about-us.htm ?
    Hiya, yeah thats the club I got to, what do you think?

Edit- Been going for about 6 months I think.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 10:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based on what I can see on Facebook, YouTube and their website, you'd be better off training Judo and/or BJJ if being able to grapple efficiently is your goal.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorterlaing View Post
    Similarly unarmed, I assume that their mix of aikido, judo and striking meant they were still pretty prolific at diffusing attacks.
    A samurai would not be trained in aikido or judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 11:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    A samurai would not be trained in aikido or judo.
    Were they even trained in jujitsu?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 11:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Based on what I can see on Facebook, YouTube and their website, you'd be better off training Judo and/or BJJ if being able to grapple efficiently is your goal.
    No I enjoy grappling for fun, I'm going to start a different BJJ school soon- but not for competition. Do you not think its feasible to learn some valid self defence from these guys then?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 11:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I enjoy grappling for fun, I'm going to start a different BJJ school soon- but not for competition. Do you not think its feasible to learn some valid self defence from these guys then?
    Do you have any confidence that you could defend a punch with the techniques you've been taught? What about the most basic possible combination of punches, say a one-two hay-maker?

If you're grappling a bit on the ground and sometimes doing standing sparring then that is valid training for "self defence", i.e. fighting. The one step lunge-punch stuff isn't going to help at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 11:50am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without live training 'valid self defense' is a pretty tall order. Technique tends to go to pieces when you get rid of set patterns and just start sparring. Learning uchimata is easy, throwing someone with it during randori is not. Learning a triangle from the guard is easy, subbing someone (with any skill at all) while rolling, not so much. You can pretty much learn everything there is to know about boxing in a month, but get in the ring with a pro and you'll see the glaring difference between knowledge and experience.

The biggest problem with JJJ tends to be the training methodology. The problem with lack of sparring is that it allows things the don't actually work- or are so low percentage that they are hardly worth bothering with (aka anything Aikido) to survive. Spending time on these kinds of things is usually pretty detrimental to self defense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 11:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Without live training 'valid self defense' is a pretty tall order. Technique tends to go to pieces when you get rid of set patterns and just start sparring. Learning uchimata is easy, throwing someone with it during randori is not. Learning a triangle from the guard is easy, subbing someone (with any skill at all) while rolling, not so much. You can pretty much learn everything there is to know about boxing in a month, but get in the ring with a pro and you'll see the glaring difference between knowledge and experience.

The biggest problem with JJJ tends to be the training methodology. The problem with lack of sparring is that it allows things the don't actually work- or are so low percentage that they are hardly worth bothering with (aka anything Aikido) to survive. Spending time on these kinds of things is usually pretty detrimental to self defense.
    We do live groundwork and often a form of randori (ie we have to do it in quite a tight space, normally 4 matt's worth because there's quite a few people) but true resistance- no striking through. So to an extent we do, but we dont seem to do any completely free for all sparring scenarios- well, not at my rank anyway. So is that stuff better than no stuff then?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 12:53pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say yes it is.

If you really want to find out where you stand go randori at a judo club. If you can handle yourself alright throwing and on the ground then you are doing pretty good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 12:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    I would say yes it is.

If you really want to find out where you stand go randori at a judo club. If you can handle yourself alright throwing and on the ground then you are doing pretty good.
    Maybe after a few more sessions XD As it stands I don't think Im proficient enough for anything! Good idea though.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast