Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 3:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Complete, unedited ball punch video

Yep I posted this in newbie town but a copy of it deserves to be here in YMAS

Now I don't know about you guys but I roll sans cup and I get hit often enough in the nuts while rolling to know that A it does suck but B certainly isn't going to cause me to freak out in a real fight heck most of the time I can finish the roll before the OMG this **** sucks pain makes its way through my brain.
    Is this similar to what you all experience?
    Or am I the only idiot that doesn't roll with a cup?

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 6:15am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I roll without a cup, haven't had much difficulty that can't be fixed with some readjusting. I sometimes wonder if it is because I protect them with my somewhat fleshiness surrounding that area, or if I'm just blessed with perfect sized balls, too big to be easily squished, but not so big as to be an easy target for an errant elbow, knee, whatever. If it is the former, then I figure when I lose more weight I'm going to have to buy a cup. I'll see how I go.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    9/30/2012 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it hurts, but it's not a magical 'off-button'.
    I'm trying to remember where I got the info, but a BJJ school in Evansville, IN had a student that tried the ball-punch to escape an arm-bar and ended up getting his arm broken. It may or may not have been intentional, but if I'm getting hit in the sack I'm either going to disengage or re-position. If I re-position and he is already hyper-extended, oops.

Posted On:
    9/30/2012 10:56am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I totally agree that the ball punch is not a valid armbar escape, I still don't recommend not wearing a cup.

Recently, while doing some relatively light sparring, I shot for a shitty double-leg, my victim guillotined me and attempted to jump guard. As he's a fair bit heavier than me and I'm a puny, girlish example of a man, my legs went out from under me, as this happened my knees came up (I was probably trying to establish a base as I landed in his guard). I ended up coming down knee first onto his crotch. He wasn't wearing a cup.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    9/30/2012 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I still don't recommend not wearing a cup.
    I agree totally, I always wear a cup during training. At my age, I don't know how much more use I'm going to get out of the twins, but I'm not taking any chances.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2012 12:05pm

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this isnt 100% true, I have seen many mma fights (at least 5) where the guy gets hit in the balls with a knee or kick and immediately falls to the ground...

Posted On:
    9/30/2012 12:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    this isnt 100% true, I have seen many mma fights (at least 5) where the guy gets hit in the balls with a knee or kick and immediately falls to the ground...
    The vid isn't claiming groin strikes are completely ineffective, just that you won't get any sort of power when punching the balls from under mount. Maybe a knee to the groin is a valid self defense tactic, but as a grappling escape, ball punches are ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2012 12:28pm

Style: K1 Kickboxing, BJJ, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In MMA fights they always wear cups, so they don't get hit in the balls. What you also need to remember is MMA is a sport and therefore people are always trying to get an advantage. Getting hit in the balls (cup) means you get a couple of minutes (2?) to recuperate, get some advice from the corner and screw up the rhythm of the fight. You may notice that if one fighter is dominating and gets hit in the balls he usually just waves it off, while when the guy is getting destroyed he is quick to fall down screaming. Kinda like what soccer players do.

Posted On:
    9/30/2012 12:44pm

Style: BJJ/MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As much as I hate to say it, this is probably more a function of the ruleset than actual effectiveness, much like NBA players skidding half a court-length when another thyroid case brushes against them.

(Yeah, what that guy said. This is what I get for multiple tab reading.)
    Last edited by wetware; 9/30/2012 12:45pm at . Reason: ninja'd

Posted On:
    9/30/2012 2:03pm

Style: mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i wear a groin guard at all times

AT ALL TIMES!
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast