Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thankyou Bullshido, I owe you one.

Hey guys,

My name is Jack. I'm from Newcastle, Australia, and if it wasn't for you people and this forum I might be training in the Bujinkan. To someone with no understanding of Koryu, I found the lineage claims to really be believable. Looking back just a couple of months ago, I feel silly for listening to that crap.

What saved me was a habit of intense research before commitment, which eventually led me to this site. The constant talking up of this art, with techniques taught in all sorts of unarmed and armed fighting... that were easily accessible to any common westerner who can get a black belt in a year all just sounded too good to be true. The "oh usually you can get a black belt in a bit under a year" that I heard from the instructor really set off alarm bells.

I attended two classes - a week apart. The techniques taught seemed extremely impractical to apply to a fight. Striking in pressure point crap seemed overly emphasised. For example, a certain move required one to step offline just enough from a punch to block from the outside with the right forearm (that didn't seem unreasonable to my newbie eyes, correct me if it is). So that's not so bad so far, is it? THEN... the move continues with you punching the person with your right hand, to just below the armpit, since that will cause so much pain they will be temporarily immobilised... Which will allow you to (you'll love this) lean in towards their right knee, put your thumb behind your middle knuckle in your forefinger, and drive it into the side of their knee. This will effectively cause so much pain that they will fall over in agony. Sheer brilliance. Leave yourself completely open after your initial strike and proceed to lean towards their knee.

Needless to say there was no sparring, and the practitionerds would be completely incapable of holding their own in a fight. Resistance during "training" was little to none. The sad thing is, the people there were quite friendly and modest (bar one smug fat **** that reminded me of "comic book guy"), and seemed genuinely misguided as to what they were learning, how little it would ever help them and what a load of **** the ninjertsu crap the bujinkan comes up with really is.

One guy had obviously trained for quite sometime. His ninjertsu form was quite good, he was reasonably quick, and although he was both old and small, he was flexible and could toss and strike quite well. He must've put in a reasonable amount of effort to take ninjertsu crap and develop it into something that could potentially work OK. I felt sorry for him, sorry that he had been misguided all that time, his potential wasted on stupid techniques, when elsewhere he could've attained more significant fighting capabilities. He seemed somewhat talented. That sucks.

I am also of the opinion that the instructor was also merely misguided, since if he didn't believe in his ninjertsu and simply wanted the money he would be asking for more than a $10 (AUD) lesson. Sure he talked it and himself up a a bit, but I maintain that he truly believed in the words of Hatsumi and the techniques he was both taught and passes on. This saddens me. These are all reasonable people (except for the smug fat ****), that simply sought to learn how to fight with reasonable competency for simply self defence. There were only a couple of large egos - smug fat **** comic book guy, and the instructor. It's a shame these people were all spoon fed lies and deceived. *sigh*

And so now thanks to this site I can see through the BS it all was, and sought to find Koryu Bujutsu. Success! I'm now practicing Muso Jikiden Eishin-ru and am enjoying it. The instructor is a down to earth guy, and laid back. He's critical of my poor technique as he bloody well should be, and so seems like a good instructor. I recognise the uselessness of iaijutsu in a street fight, and the criticism of kata, but imo it's fun to learn. There is however a kenjutsu component, and although the curriculum itself I believe is composed of kata, he has a few shinai in his bag and has talked about us using them so fingers crossed for sparring!

Anyway for something applicable to present day self defence, I'm thinking of taking up judo. There are a couple of places that teach it around my area, so let the hunt begin. One calls itself the "Samurai Judo Academy". Sounds like some desperate, lame-assed, quick buck type pitch to me, or am I being overly critical of something minor?

cheers,
    Jack

Style
    Jerry-Bashing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you thought about boxing at all? Most clubs will have you sparring in a few weeks, your skills are intensively pressure-tested, the techniques are relatively simple to pick up and the punches really hurt. It's usually cheap, and it's unbelievable exercise too.

I sometimes think that if boxing developed teh top-secret de4dly mythos, the many dilapidated boxing gyms around the country would be rammed.

Good luck and welcome.

Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcaj View Post
    Anyway for something applicable to present day self defence, I'm thinking of taking up judo. There are a couple of places that teach it around my area, so let the hunt begin. One calls itself the "Samurai Judo Academy". Sounds like some desperate, lame-assed, quick buck type pitch to me, or am I being overly critical of something minor?
    I wouldn't worry too much about the "Samurai" tag - judo tends to be very well inoculated against bullshido, and most likely you're just seeing the result of a school owner who wanted a name that was easily recognized by the general public as a) being Japanese and b) connected with martial arts.

Style
    Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonDingDong View Post
    Have you thought about boxing at all? Most clubs will have you sparring in a few weeks, your skills are intensively pressure-tested, the techniques are relatively simple to pick up and the punches really hurt. It's usually cheap, and it's unbelievable exercise too.

I sometimes think that if boxing developed teh top-secret de4dly mythos, the many dilapidated boxing gyms around the country would be rammed.

Good luck and welcome.
    Hmmm doesn't sound like a bad idea. I know a couple of guys that box, I'll ask them about it.

Thanks for the welcome.

And Chilli Pepper, thanks for the reassurance. I was planning on at least watching a class at that place to give it a fair go. And just out of interest, how common in Judo or in any MA for that matter is uniform hire charging? I mean, this Judo place takes it so seriously in your FREE introductory lesson you must pay to hire uniform but at only half price. Still, it seems a little screwed to bother charging $2 for uniform hire in a supposedly free lesson imo

Style
    Boxing, Rowing Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its hard to go wrong with boxing and/or judo - two very solid martial arts.
    Don't worry about the "samurai" tag. Like chilli pepper said, its a fairly innocent marketing thing.

Stu xD

Toronto, Ontario, The United States of Canada
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've made the ninjers angry. Watch out for comic-guy shaped bushes outside of your house.

Style
    WHKD/Judo/BJJ/Boxing noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ditto on the kudos... This site alone helped me steer clear of Toshindo, Genbukan, Bujinkan, and one particular--now defunct MMA school.

However, I just saw a Genbukan Kokusai Jujutsu Shodan (who is also a Shodan in Judo) roll today. He managed more than a few armbars, throws, takedowns, etc. that were damned impressive.

Style
    Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Jack, I'm actually from newcastle myself (though I'm a sydney-sider now). If the MJER school is the one I'm thinking of (which it almost certainly is, Newcastle has only one MJER instructor last time I checked) you're in good hands. In terms of Judo, you're actually quite spoiled. You have samurai as you know, shogun and the Maitland PCYC also offers judo iirc. Also, if you're don't have your heart set on judo, there's Fight Gym Newcastle who teach muay thai and mma, which I've heard nothing but good things about.

Style
    Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth_monkey View Post
    Hi Jack, I'm actually from newcastle myself (though I'm a sydney-sider now). If the MJER school is the one I'm thinking of (which it almost certainly is, Newcastle has only one MJER instructor last time I checked) you're in good hands. In terms of Judo, you're actually quite spoiled. You have samurai as you know, shogun and the Maitland PCYC also offers judo iirc. Also, if you're don't have your heart set on judo, there's Fight Gym Newcastle who teach muay thai and mma, which I've heard nothing but good things about.
    Thanks dude, will look into the fight gym

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Scotto and welcome. We'd love to hear more about you and your school, straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I'd suggest starting your own thread in newbietown.

Also, you can get a judo Black Belt tag from the moderators, it can lend a certain weight to your posts in some areas, as people would be more than happy to take advice from someone verified as a Black Belt.

Once again, welcome.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last