Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    N/A
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newbie/Martial Arts Lover says hello

Hola denizens of bullshido. I've been lurkin around here for Martial Art information for quite a long time and have been thinkin of getting more involved. I've learned some tips to fighting in general from various fighters in my family (a lot of them would be those street fighters with experience in actual fighting I've seen talk about), and I have some minor experience in a TKD place, but now Im looking for some combat applicable martial arts.

I was thinkin of goin to On My Grind MMA since it's so close to me it hurts, but I'm not sure if it's legit, will teach the striking/groundwork I need to become well rounded, or if it's affordable. Money be hard, pardon my grammar.

But yeah, that's the general synopsis. Pleasure to meet the lot of you.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On My Grind MMA in Brooklyn?

No personal experience with it, just trying to make sense of their website. Head instructor doesn't claim any rank that I saw, so there's nothing really to fact-check. If that's the place, they do claim to offer a 30-day free trial, though, so you could always check it out.

Anyways, welcome to the forums.

Style
    N/A
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking for MMA in NYC

I'm sorry if I'm breaking any forum rules, but I honestly don't know where else to post to ask this.

I live in Brooklyn around Stillwell Avenue and 86th Street and I'm looking for a place to learn MMA. I'm primarily interested in learning some form of boxing/kickboxing and some form of ground fighting. I'm not really picky so long as the schools are good. Thing is, I honestly don't know what to trust out here and you all here seem to know your stuff.

So do you guys have any suggestions I should look into? Your help would be very much appreciated, and I again apologize if I'm not posting in the right place.

Style
    N/A
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was in a college Karate class and a dude that did some form of Wing Chun told me stories of his group. Once told me he saw a guy shatter a brick wall like nothing with one punch.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just consolidated this here for you. It's safer to ask all those new questions here.

Style
    N/A
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, and sorry for the trouble. I'm new to any forum that doesn't involve gaming in some way.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No worries, DarkDream, this is your best thread to stick to while you get your feet. Chill here for a bit and ask questions, but also go and read as much of the site as possible so you can find out the culture of the place before you jump in. The reason being is that we are required to be civil in this forum, but in other forums we are allowed, within reason, to act like dicks. The "within reason" is regulated by other members acting like dicks to the dicks who are acting like dicks. You'll see what I mean.

The wing chun/ karate story, yeah, we've all heard variations. In most cases it isn't true, or it is a magnificent exaggeration of the truth. Pay them the type of heed you pay the guy who talks about all the women he's fucked or the size of his big penis. In saying that, I talk about those things regularly and you should take my advice. There's always an exception to the rule.

There'll probably be people in your area that can assist you in finding a gym. You've called them, they will come.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Style
    N/A
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    xD Yeah, I've seen the dick factor on this site in a few posts I've lurked through. You all seem like a good fun bunch of fighter people. Thanks again man for being so helpful.

While I'm at it, I've been looking around and found some place called PureMMA in Manhattan. It seems as if I would be able to learn everything I wanted to learn there to start competing, but for some reason I can't get ahold of them. Anyone here been there or know of people who have and knows what its like in there?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

You are blessed to be only 15 tiny miles from NY Combat Sambo, whose head instructor is Bullshido member "sambosteve":

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/member.php?u=12782

According to the bios one of their MMA instructors is actually training in Thailand starting next month and will be back in NY this summer...sounds like a great opportunity.

http://www.ussambo.com/NYCS/page7.html

http://www.nycombatsambo.com/
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/15/2013 11:52am at .

Page 1 of 2 12 Last