Page 5 of 5 First 12345

Style
    Looking for Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the sake of being safe, are there any styles I should outright avoid in the future if I intend to cross-train? I heard 99% of all TKD in America is bogus, and while it's friendly and good exercise, it will not be effective in self-defense or fight situations. In most videos, I watch the spars and I facepalm so bad at how sloppy they are. Are there any other martial arts styles that tend to come off as being ineffective like that?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateHopeful View Post
    For the sake of being safe, are there any styles I should outright avoid in the future if I intend to cross-train? I heard 99% of all TKD in America is bogus, and while it's friendly and good exercise, it will not be effective in self-defense or fight situations. In most videos, I watch the spars and I facepalm so bad at how sloppy they are. Are there any other martial arts styles that tend to come off as being ineffective like that?

This is also responding to your statement about not considering American Kickboxing an "alive art", and about your question to me regarding why I recommend Judo.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateHopeful View Post
    I feel like doing that without paying in the end is a disrespect to the senseis. I don't want to get their hopes up, and right now I don't have the money. I'm intending on making financial adjustments in my life to do it, but I just don't want to get the instructors thinking that I will 100% for sure get into it.
    You're sort of overestimating your uniqueness/memorability/whatever the hell you want to call it. Any hard contact style is going to see a LOT of washouts, because people don't realize that learning to really fight is sweaty, painful, and frequently discouraging work. That is, not until they get on the mats and feel like passing out in a nice, warm puddle of their own barf ten minutes into the class.

In my gym at home, I lost count of the number of people who came through making a lot of noise about how they wanted to fight and they'd already trained for years in blahblah and they'd probably be ready to get in the ring on a month or so. They were generally gone in two weeks. My coach never took it personally, because he knows what any good instructor knows- anyone can talk the talk, walking the walk is a whole different story. And when they left, nobody really remembered in a few days anyway. You're pretty much just another face until you prove otherwise.

Long story short, an instructor will have a lot more respect for you if you're upfront about wanting to try a class or two to see if it's a good fit rather than diving right in and finding out it isn't for you. Go try some classes. It's all just theoretical fluffy crap until you do.

Style
    Looking for Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    You're sort of overestimating your uniqueness/memorability/whatever the hell you want to call it. Any hard contact style is going to see a LOT of washouts, because people don't realize that learning to really fight is sweaty, painful, and frequently discouraging work. That is, not until they get on the mats and feel like passing out in a nice, warm puddle of their own barf ten minutes into the class.

In my gym at home, I lost count of the number of people who came through making a lot of noise about how they wanted to fight and they'd already trained for years in blahblah and they'd probably be ready to get in the ring on a month or so. They were generally gone in two weeks. My coach never took it personally, because he knows what any good instructor knows- anyone can talk the talk, walking the walk is a whole different story. And when they left, nobody really remembered in a few days anyway. You're pretty much just another face until you prove otherwise.

Long story short, an instructor will have a lot more respect for you if you're upfront about wanting to try a class or two to see if it's a good fit rather than diving right in and finding out it isn't for you. Go try some classes. It's all just theoretical fluffy crap until you do.
    You put it into a way that made a lot of sense. Thank you. I'll definitely go around and see which one I like the most. =)

Style
    Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give Enshin a look. I believe takedowns are covered more thoroughly than in Kyokushin because they score a good deal of points in competition. Some karate folk I talk too actually think they're over-emphasized in present day Sabaki tournaments.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, check these guys out if you haven't yet. http://www.powerkarate.com/temecula.html Although I have to say, if I were you, I'd probably be training at Team Quest.
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 9/30/2012 10:36pm at .

Style
    Karate-knockdown, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am glad to see that Enshin was mentioned as a style to also check into. Might I also recommend Ashihara Karate as well. There is an Ashihara Dojo in Lomita, but it would be about 1.5 hours away from you.

You may also want to go here: http://www.kyokushin4life.com/forums...play.php?f=138 and ask around. Normally there are smaller dojo that people at K4L might know of in your community.

Page 5 of 5 First 12345