Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    365
    Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Nippon Kempo "KMA" tournament (Italy 2013)

    I found this footage of a tournament I was in in 2013, and I tought I could post it here.

    Many gyms/dojos in this part of Italy (between Milano and Varese) have a Nippon Kempo course, and some years ago some instructors tought it was a good idea tho start "KMA", by wich they meant something in between Nippon kempo (that uses heavy protective gear, and has stoppages for ippons) and MMA. This is as far as I can tell the only tournament in this format to date. It uses face protectors and players were instructed to limit themselves in some situations (e.g. dont knee consecutively more than twice your opponent).

    More or less half of the pratictioners came from nippon kempo, the others from random other styles (like MMA, kickboxing gyms etc).



    I fought at 1:13:31 (I'm the fatty that loses in the end, my opponent also was from Nippon kempo).

    https://youtu.be/Q23OlWDZ1S8?t=1h13m31s

  2. #2
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,230
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    I found this footage of a tournament I was in in 2013, and I tought I could post it here.

    Many gyms/dojos in this part of Italy (between Milano and Varese) have a Nippon Kempo course, and some years ago some instructors tought it was a good idea tho start "KMA", by wich they meant something in between Nippon kempo (that uses heavy protective gear, and has stoppages for ippons) and MMA. This is as far as I can tell the only tournament in this format to date. It uses face protectors and players were instructed to limit themselves in some situations (e.g. dont knee consecutively more than twice your opponent).

    More or less half of the pratictioners came from nippon kempo, the others from random other styles (like MMA, kickboxing gyms etc).



    I fought at 1:13:31 (I'm the fatty that loses in the end, my opponent also was from Nippon kempo).

    https://youtu.be/Q23OlWDZ1S8?t=1h13m31s
    That looks like fun!
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    365
    Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    That looks like fun!
    Well it was! Only as I was 37 and a smoker I was out of breath after the first 40s.

  4. #4
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,082
    Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    That looks like fun!
    Hell yeah it did!

    I had a small anxiety attack and possibly some sort of stroke watching those armbars from mount just being hand fed and handed gently to MisterMR tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  5. #5
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,230
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Hell yeah it did!

    I had a small anxiety attack and possibly some sort of stroke watching those armbars from mount just being hand fed and handed gently to MisterMR tho.
    Yes, I noticed that as well. The missed armbars, not your anxiety attack(s).

    Functional throws from clinch, though, were noticed.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    365
    Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Yes, I noticed that as well. The missed armbars, not your anxiety attack(s).

    Functional throws from clinch, though, were noticed.
    Yeah my instructor noticed those missed armbars too, he scolded me a bit afterwards. But the truth is, I was already so tired that I purposedly stayed in a weak mount, in part to take some breath, in part because I hoped that, as the other guy tried to exit from the mount, he also would lose energy.
    In part this worked as he was very tired in the next round, but I was also tired so I couldn't capitalize on it.

    Btw an armbar scored 3 points (equivalent to 3 punches) but didn't count as TKO.

  7. #7
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,230
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    Yeah my instructor noticed those missed armbars too, he scolded me a bit afterwards. But the truth is, I was already so tired that I purposedly stayed in a weak mount, in part to take some breath, in part because I hoped that, as the other guy tried to exit from the mount, he also would lose energy.
    In part this worked as he was very tired in the next round, but I was also tired so I couldn't capitalize on it.

    Btw an armbar scored 3 points (equivalent to 3 punches) but didn't count as TKO.
    So, if you just broke the guys arm, would that count as a TKO ?

    Odd ruleset, in a way...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    365
    Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So, if you just broke the guys arm, would that count as a TKO ?

    Odd ruleset, in a way...
    It would count as hansokumake I suppose.
    I think that most of the partecipants were strikers, so they didn't want to give an advantage to grapplers.
    Plus, there is the fact that face protectors disadvantage strikers: If I can take all the facepunches I want with no pain, just points to my opponent, but then an armbar means TKO, grapplers could just charge head down the whole match.

    This is the problem with protections, that pain in the end is an integral part of striking.

    EDIT: armbars with boxe gloves are possible but more difficult, too.
    Last edited by MisterMR; 7/18/2017 6:41pm at .

  9. #9
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,230
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    It would count as hansokumake I suppose.
    I think that most of the participants were strikers, so they didn't want to give an advantage to grapplers.
    Plus, there is the fact that face protectors disadvantage strikers: If I can take all the face-punches I want with no pain, just points to my opponent, but then an arm-bar means TKO, grapplers could just charge head down the whole match.

    This is the problem with protections, that pain in the end is an integral part of striking.

    EDIT: arm-bars with boxing gloves are possible but more difficult, too.
    I guess it's always some sort of compromise to protect participants. Maybe lighter MMA-Style gloves to go with the head protection would make things a bit more painful.

    In any case, you should just arm-bar the guys for points, then. Over and over and over again...

    Hopefully you have stopped smoking and have gotten better cardio...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    365
    Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Hopefully you have stopped smoking and have gotten better cardio...
    Eeeeh uhm... cough cough, as they say.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in