Posted On:
    9/27/2012 3:36am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Conditioning for dead legs

I've had a couple of realy bad dead legs from kicks recently

The first off a round kick during sparing. It was sore enough for me to not be able to fight on and I had to walk it off for a bit

The second was off a side kick that 'missed the pad'. This one was pretty bad, knocked me over and had me rolling around cursing and laughing. I was walking that one off for a good bit

How the hell do you guys take all those leg shots without getting dead legs?
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 4:29am

Style: Shorin Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 6:47am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically it's two things:A. The position of your leg while getting hit. if you have a slight angle and you turn your knee toward the kick, it helps.
    B. a lot of conditioning is done, especially in MT, basically kicking each other legs as part of warm-up. After some time you find yourself being able to take much more.

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 8:51am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah there is no trick to it. get kicked a lot.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 10:20am

Style: K1 Kickboxing, BJJ, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Basically it's two things:A. The position of your leg while getting hit. if you have a slight angle and you turn your knee toward the kick, it helps.
    B. a lot of conditioning is done, especially in MT, basically kicking each other legs as part of warm-up. After some time you find yourself being able to take much more.
    Holy ****, that's quite hard...

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 10:58am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xxax View Post
    Holy ****, that's quite hard...
    Try it without the shin pad
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2012 12:19pm

Style: Judofitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Game followup (spoilered for gross swelling)

Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2012 10:44pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Yeah there is no trick to it. get kicked a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Try it without the shin pad
    These are what we do in my school. I have the students work up and down the floor exchanging shots to the legs. As we are a "knockdown" karate school we train with no shin pads. I have them start off fairly light, but by the time they are green belts, they are kicking each other pretty hard. There is a certain "suck factor" that goes into this conditioning, but you just have to get through it. If you start doing this style of conditioning, make sure your partner kicks the entire surface up and down the thigh.

We also use foam rollers and PVC pipe to work out the IT bands in the thighs. It speeds recovery and helps condition to a certain extent.

Posted On:
    10/01/2012 6:25am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know how, but after a while you don't bruise as much, maybe the lining of your capillaries thickens, or you have more connective tissue to pad them. The end result is that a well-conditioned thigh doesn’t bleed as much. I would be careful though, do a couple of minutes with sheen pads twice a week first. You can tear your muscles and do real damage if you go overboard.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    10/01/2012 10:30am

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The front of the shin bone is a very sensitive area and it never feels good to get hit there, so like a lot of other sensitive areas, it pays to spend extra time (carefully) conditioning and becoming accustomed to the discomfort.

The reason the MT guys can take all those hard kicks is that they've already taken hundreds or thousands before.

Also, make sure you properly balance the hurting and the healing. Massaging leg bruises and applying liniments will not only help with the pain, but encourage healing in between training sessions. This goes for all sorts of conditioning...if you don't know how to heal yourself properly in between, you're just doing it wrong and could end up with long-term issues.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/01/2012 10:37am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast