Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    Looking for Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking for a karate dojo in or near Temecula

Hello, my name is Blake Thornhill. I'm 27 years old, and I am looking to get into martial arts because I am looking for something to increase motivation in my life, and it's something that I would feel very strongly for. I've done the research on most of the martial arts styles, including mixed martial arts, and I like Karate for its low center of gravity and being very conservative yet powerful in its repetoire. If you know of any good reputable dojos that don't charge an arm and a leg and will teach me actual beneficial karate with full-contact sparring and takedowns/takedown defense, point me in the right direction.

P.S. No, I'm not looking into Judo. Their striking emphasis seems incredibly weak compared to Karate. I need a branch of karate that is conscious of all situations. Thank you. =)

Update: I'm strongly leaning towards Shotokan (like Lyoto Machida) or Kyokushin (known for having good takedowns while still having striking potential).
    Last edited by KarateHopeful; 9/28/2012 4:02pm at .

Style
    bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi. Be welcome.

Do you consider the possibility that you could save a lot of time by asking what more experienced people would say about your conclusions? If you ask, I'm sure you're gonna receive a lot of good advice.

Style
    Looking for Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bigato, can you be more specific about what you're asking? Also, I'm heavily leaning towards kyokushin atm, so I would really like that. XD

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateHopeful View Post
    P.S. No, I'm not looking into Judo. Their striking emphasis seems incredibly weak compared to Karate. I need a branch of karate that is conscious of all situations. Thank you. =)
    Now that is a damn shame cause you have a really damn good Judo program in Temecula
    http://www.socaljudo.com/
    Taught by 2x Olympic medalist Israel Hernandez and 2x Olympian Valerie Gotay.
    You may want to reconsider your options.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also I think it should be pointed out that Lyoto Machida
    is a
    3rd dan black belt in Shotokan
    black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Walter Broca[1]
    and a
    Black belt in judo

Just so that you know while his Shotokan is what is famous. It was backed up and made functional by having the grappling.
    So don't expect to go take Shotokan and be able to have takedowns and takedown defense cause thats not where he learned it.

Style
    Looking for Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goodlun, I know that regarding Shotokan. It's why I favor Kyokushin. Would you recommend Kyokushin personally, or is there something similar that's going to work better practically and in spars/fights?

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goodlun, I know that regarding Shotokan. It's why I favor Kyokushin. Would you recommend Kyokushin personally, or is there something similar that's going to work better practically and in spars/fights?
    This is where we ask what it is exactly your looking for out of MAs.
    So what is it your looking to gain from doing "Karate"?
    What exactly you mean by "fights"?

Style
    Looking for Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'll try and set a list of what I want:

1. I'm not looking for a style that's about always moving excessively, or throwing 3-5 fast punches. I'm that kind of guy who likes to take a firm stance with low gravity (so that I can defend against takedown-happy fighters), and knock them out with 2 or 3 heavy blows that are well timed.
    2. I don't mind learning enough ground basics to avoid getting completely owned on the ground, but I do not find any pleasure in the ground game at all. Like Machida, I prefer standup, and anything that can minimize my time on the ground is welcome.
    3. I don't care for a long fight, I want a style that's going to help me find an efficient way to end it quickly. Karate, especially Kyokushin, seems to stress this.
    4. I want something that's not going to discourage weight gain. As crazy as it sounds, I like being big. It lends itself to my low center of gravity. Without that weight, I'm far more susceptible to grapplers. And yes, I've watched videos, high gravity guys are like juicy "Tackle me to the ground, I have no strong stance!" magnets.
    5. I want something that's going to make me motivated in life. Motivation is the reason why I'm having the problems I have in my life. I do want to be able to fight others eventually, of all different walks, but I want the experience to get there to be pleasant and to help me form strong friendships and maybe fix personal flaws I once had.
    6. Straight up, right now, I care nothing for BJJ. I acknowledge it as a highly effective grappling style on 1v1, but that is it. In a practical situation, it is horrible. Because of its 1v1 tendencies, you will get your ass kicked if you are ganged up on, period. So I would like to avoid it. I'm okay with learning Judo or Wrestling as a grappling style, but I find BJJ to be very niche.
    7. I want full contact. No point system, no teaching students like anything they do will seriously hurt something (When I was in Karate for Kids, which is Taekwondo btw, they took my bo away if I even started to swing it a little bit, even if I wasn't around anyone.) I don't need to be babysat, I'm 27, I want my instructors to understand if I hurt myself, it was my choice to do so, but at the same time, they should show genuine concern for me and want me to be my best.

I hope that helps you assess what it is I'm looking for.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I've seen in his original post, what he's looking to gain is a falsely earned bit of confidence, coming from an art that does more more to inflate his ego than his level of martial prowess.

Yes, I would recommend kyokushin, and only kyokushin as far as karate goes. If there's a KK dojo near you by all means go in, check it out. If they don't do a fair bit of full contact, bare-knuckle sparring, be wary. For the record, Kyokushin is a striking art. A hell of a striking art, but a striking art nonetheless. Like all karate styles, they incorporate a judo throw, once in a blue moon, but they won't have the technical skill of a judoka by any means, when it comes to take downs. (Generalizations here of course, perhaps your local dojo is the exception to the "rule". Unlikely, but always possible.)

So when comparing kyokushin and shotokan you're not comparing strikes vs. throws, you're comparing striking trained in an alive manner (kyo) vs. striking trained in a dead manner (shoto).

All that being said, I still recommend Judo.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm that kind of guy who likes to take a firm stance with low gravity (so that I can defend against takedown-happy fighters)
    Having a firm stance with a low gravity isn't going to prevent someone from taking you down.

knock them out with 2 or 3 heavy blows that are well timed.
    Complete fantasy if there was such a style it would be wildly popular in K1, MMA, and all other forms of prize fighting.

I don't mind learning enough ground basics to avoid getting completely owned on the ground, but I do not find any pleasure in the ground game at all. Like Machida, I prefer standup, and anything that can minimize my time on the ground is welcome.
    Ground fighting is a huge part of being effective in both a fighting and self defense situation. Like all things it takes more then the basics to be effective. Your really looking at BJJ blue belt level to be "street effective" against an untrained opponent. Something that takes some time and dedication to accomplish.

3. I don't care for a long fight, I want a style that's going to help me find an efficient way to end it quickly. Karate, especially Kyokushin, seems to stress this.
    Once again fantasy

4. I want something that's not going to discourage weight gain. As crazy as it sounds, I like being big. It lends itself to my low center of gravity. Without that weight, I'm far more susceptible to grapplers. And yes, I've watched videos, high gravity guys are like juicy "Tackle me to the ground, I have no strong stance!" magnets.
    Once again you know nothing about grappling or takedowns I suggest you stop making assumptions about it based on videos.
    To the being big thing well I don't know of any art that thinks being smaller is "better" being in shape and your natural weight is usually considered good. Sport based arts do encourage people being able to get into an appropriate weight class for competing.

5. I want something that's going to make me motivated in life. Motivation is the reason why I'm having the problems I have in my life. I do want to be able to fight others eventually, of all different walks, but I want the experience to get there to be pleasant and to help me form strong friendships and maybe fix personal flaws I once had.
    Meh doing anything rewarding will motivate you. Doing any art that involves hard rewarding work should work for you.

6. Straight up, right now, I care nothing for BJJ. I acknowledge it as a highly effective grappling style on 1v1, but that is it. In a practical situation, it is horrible. Because of its 1v1 tendencies, you will get your ass kicked if you are ganged up on, period. So I would like to avoid it. I'm okay with learning Judo or Wrestling as a grappling style, but I find BJJ to be very niche.
    Far less niche then you would think also your argument is tired and inaccurate.

7. I want full contact. No point system, no teaching students like anything they do will seriously hurt something (When I was in Karate for Kids, which is Taekwondo btw, they took my bo away if I even started to swing it a little bit, even if I wasn't around anyone.) I don't need to be babysat, I'm 27, I want my instructors to understand if I hurt myself, it was my choice to do so, but at the same time, they should show genuine concern for me and want me to be my best.

I hope that helps you assess what it is I'm looking for.
    Any of the arts that are associated with Aliveness will take care of this issue.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last