Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 1:03pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me see if I can do the same then for his Booj rank.

I did receive a response on the Masonic claim. Just need some clarifying on what I should black out before posting the e-mail.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok here's what I got. Bear with i'm still a NOOB.

According to this website:

http://www.ninjutsu.com/hombudojo.shtml

His Dojo is listed and in that listing it states his Rank : 5th Dan.

Although on the same website under IBDA Ranking list there is no mention of any rank for Mike or Miguel Reina.

You more senior Bullshido guys may be able to let me know if this site is a reliable source for Booj.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 1:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wanted to e-mail the Honbu directly but they state all communications are to be in Japanese. Way out of my league.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 1:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sklart View Post
    Hey everyone,

So I was directed to this Dojo off of the YMAS forum, and have been looking into it more as I can't believe their head instructor is a blackbelt in anything. I've been in contact with him (Mike Reina) and he tells me he is a 6th dan BB in Bujinkan (although his website lists him as Miguel Reina and a 5th dan) and outside of the greater NJ area, I can't find anything that would actually make him a blackbelt. I have asked him for his lineage, which he replied he was given his BB at Firehouse Dojo, but thus far has refused to tell me who gave it to him.

I am fairly certain this is a McDojo. Anyone have any experiences with this Dojo or Mike?
    Info on the Firehouse Dojo. It is run by a Shihan Bruce MacDaniels. So using the power of deduction that must be the man that gave him his black belt.

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 1:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by samsun View Post
    I wanted to e-mail the Honbu directly but they state all communications are to be in Japanese. Way out of my league.
    I don't know why, but this is terribly funny to me. (The Honbu being uptight that is. Not criticising your lack of familiarity with a notoriously difficult languge at all.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 2:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This particular guy and dojo aside, Isn't Bujinkan bullshit ? aren't these guys Ninjas ?
    Or is Ninjitsu an actual art just not thoroughly respected in the MA world ?

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This particular guy and dojo aside, Isn't Bujinkan bullshit ? aren't these guys Ninjas ?
    Here is the answer to your question.

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 3:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't Bujinkan bullshit ? aren't these guys Ninjas ?
    It's both. It's a bullshit art. Hatsumi, among other things, is a master at the art of bullshit.

Here's the quick summary I've gleaned from the WEALTH of insight provided here at Bullshido:

Back in the time when I was young (THE TWENTIEST CENTURYYYYYYYYY) there was a big interest in "Ninjitsu" largely fueled by action cinema.

It had a LOT of appeal. Exotic, mysterious origins. (The far east was a MUCH more mysterious place to white america back then). Apparently it granted "super powers" regarding fighting abilities, strength and intuition! WOW! And lets not forget how fucking cool ninjas look! To have ninja power was pretty much what any red blooded young boy would want. Especially in the 1980's.

So, riding this crest of enthusiasm came a lot of people who saw a marketing opportunity. There was one problem.

Ninjitsu was dead. Long, long dead. It wasn't even called "ninjitsu" in it's time.

Oh, there were clans of mountain people back in the day who remained feircely independant even under the rather tight control of the Tokugawa Shogunate. They would and did commit incredible acts of espionage on their own behalf. However, thier magic abilities had far more to do with psychological warfare and creative legerdemain than any "secret mystic powers". The big secret was they didn't reveal their secrets! Instead they used a little theater, some creative engineering and a liberal application of psychotropic drugs to create a legendary reputation. This rep was more important to their survival than any single action they would have commited.

But by the 1980's, the days of the Shogunate were long and gone by quite a few generations. The lifestyle and political necesity that enabled ninja shenanigans were no longer a reality. The decendants of the clans had less time or need to focus on keeping their art alive. Eventually, it was lost to time. An anacronism. Obsolete. A tragic loss of knowlege, but it was knowlege that was no longer relevant in todays world.

Here's a link about the last living inheritor of Koga Ryu.
    http://kogaryuninjutsuint.blogspot.c...-and-well.html
    The man himself claims that he was unable to receive the full art before his Grandfather (IIRC) passed on. The full art being not just fighting, but an entire lifestyle of physical and psychological discipline. Not really something a modern person would have the opportunity to master. Our world is simply no longer the way it was when the Koga were a force to be respected.

So in this vacum came two varieties of charlatans looking to make $$$$$$. Those with no connection to Japan, but a fertile enough imagination to front their own "ninja arts". (Ashida Kim, Frank Dux) And those with a great deal of MA experience who combined techniques and principles they already knew into something that would resemble whatever it is white people think ninjitsu is "suposed" to be. (Hatsumi and friends) Hatsumi, being japanese has the most credible "claim" but what he teaches is still completely his baby. It is NOT historical "Ninjitsu" at all.

So yeah, the booj is NOT Ninjitsu. (Which is why they do not call it "ninjitsu") In fact, "ninjitsu" is not "ninjitsu". It's a name made up by people who are not ninja to describe what ninjas used to do.

The arts of the real ninja clans are lost to time.

The new "ninja" are covert operatives. Their weapons and tactics have changed with the times, but their role remains the same. (subterfuge) New world, new warfare, new types of shadow warriors. They exist, but they are trained by armies, not that guy at the strip mall.

Anyone who claims that there are modern opperatives running around in tabi socks with ninja-to is straight FULL OF ****. And yes, I have heard this claim before. (From a 21 year old "shaolin monk" no less...)

Hope that helps. Search for Bujinkan and you'll find all that stuff in much greater detail here on Bullshido.com.
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 9/27/2012 3:07pm at .

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    It's both. It's a bullshit art. Hatsumi, among other things, is a master at the art of bullshit.
    They exist, but they are trained by armies, not that guy at the strip mall.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Ninjitsu was dead. Long, long dead. It wasn't even called "ninjitsu" in it's time.
    Keep going----.
    So yeah, the booj is NOT Ninjitsu. (Which is why they do not call it "ninjitsu") In fact, "ninjitsu" is not "ninjitsu". It's a name made up by people who are not ninja to describe what ninjas used to do.
    More to the point, what people have been deceived into thinking Ninja used to be. This is a misconception.
    So in this vacum came two varieties of charlatans looking to make $$$$$$. Those with no connection to Japan, but a fertile enough imagination to front their own "ninja arts". (Ashida Kim, Frank Dux) And those with a great deal of MA experience who combined techniques and principles they already knew into something that would resemble whatever it is white people think ninjitsu is "suposed" to be. (Hatsumi and friends) Hatsumi, being japanese has the most credible "claim" but what he teaches is still completely his baby. It is NOT historical "Ninjitsu" at all.
    These charlatans (more like outright frauds and phonies) played upon the public perception of Ninja.

The new "ninja" are covert operatives. Their weapons and tactics have changed with the times, but their role remains the same. (subterfuge) New world, new warfare, new types of shadow warriors. They exist, but they are trained by armies, not that guy at the strip mall.

Anyone who claims that there are modern opperatives running around in tabi socks with ninja-to is straight FULL OF ****. And yes, I have heard this claim before. (From a 21 year old "shaolin monk" no less...)

Hope that helps. Search for Bujinkan and you'll find all that stuff in much greater detail here on Bullshido.com.
    Every time I hear someone talk of training in Ninjitsu, Ninjutsu, Ninpo or whatever else they call it, I steer them in the direction of SOF.

Last edited by slamdunc; 9/27/2012 3:26pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 3:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I don't get though, is there's so much info on this and yet people, especially those higher up, seem to believe what they do is real and authentic. Not just in Th3 D34dly LOL (Been waiting a long time to use that) but a lot of the bullshit MAs going around.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast