Sponsored Links Spacer Image

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/25/2012 8:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by allmastyles View Post
    That might be a fact. Sansoo is not a ring kinda art. It's more designed for self defense, no question.
    woah woah woah. before you go down that ugly, dark road, what exactly do YOU think the difference is? have you actually read anything on this website? lets say a guy whos been doing sansoo jumps in the ring and gets smacked down by someone whos done kickboxing. what makes that scenario end differently in the parking lot? this kind of thinking is wildly unplausible. if you arent sparring, you arent testing **** out. you can know how to swim but until you jump in the pool, what makes you think you even stand a chance swimming in the ocean? if you cant even throw a couple of straight punches with intent and land them what makes you think youll be able to land a complicated deadly move in teh str33t? am i getting through at all?

But like any MA, to be good, you have to be in some kind of shape. This takes time. Personally I don't have the time to learn sport type MA, but if I had desire and the funds, it would cool to check out I'm sure. I guess I enjoy learning about all the MA styles and what is uniques about them all.
    there is nothing particularly unique about any of them, stuff either works or doesnt. arts that are used for fighting all tend to end up looking pretty similar. ones that are used for jumping around in pyjamas, not so much, but they are used to make money. if you have a traditional itch that needs scratching, at least go for a practical one like judo, sambo, wrasslin, boxin, kyokushin, san shou... heaps out there

as for being in shape, you get in shape by doing it. just go to the classes.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/26/2012 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    lets say a guy whos been doing sansoo jumps in the ring and gets smacked down by someone whos done kickboxing. what makes that scenario end differently in the parking lot?
    There's a video out there somewhere (couldn't find it on Youtube) of a san soo guy fighting a no rules match against grappler John Marsh. San soo guy awkwardly runs into a takedown, Marsh gets a top mount, san soo guy tries to reach up to eye gouge and gets armbarred. Because san soo guy insisted on str33t rules or whatever, he ends up getting his arm broken.

Posted On:
    9/26/2012 2:40pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, I've done a couple of years of san soo and in all honesty, though I enjoy the training and ethos of the style I would say I have learnt more from judo and tkd/kick boxing

By all means trainaway at the san soo, but do yourself a favour and learn judo as well

Here is a san soo form for you to enjoy

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2012 3:23pm

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by allmastyles View Post
    That might be a fact. Sansoo is not a ring kinda art. It's more designed for self defense, no question. But like any MA, to be good, you have to be in some kind of shape. This takes time. Personally I don't have the time to learn sport type MA, but if I had desire and the funds, it would cool to check out I'm sure. I guess I enjoy learning about all the MA styles and what is uniques about them all.
    Street vs. sport is pretty much a false dichotomy, and is ruining martial arts worldwide. Depending on the ruleset, what works in the ring works on the street, and vice versa. Even stuff with a fairly limited ruleset (like boxing) can still be a tremendous boon to self defense. Obviously, not everything that works in a sporting competition is going to work on the street, but enough of it works that training for the ring improves your ability to fight on the street and training for the street can make you a better sportsman.

You mentioned Sambo as an example of a true "street fighting art". Would it surprise you to know that sport sambo (which is just grapples, if what I've read is correct) is, as the name implies, a sport? Would it then surprise you to find out that combat sambo (which includes all ranges of unarmed fighting) is also a sport with a strong competitive base? There are plenty of guys on this website who train in sambo and have competed in amateur or professional fights.
    Last edited by Robdogg; 9/26/2012 3:30pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/26/2012 5:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I have to be a pedant. We are talking MA, what works in the ring but not on the street?
    Obviously, not everything that works in a sporting competition is going to work on the street.
    I think you mean high and low percentage techniques?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 1:38am

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Okay, I have to be a pedant. We are talking MA, what works in the ring but not on the street?
    I think you mean high and low percentage techniques?
    You're right. I normally talk about the potential of a technique in terms of high or low percentage of success, but I was tired and made the mistake of saying that there's stuff that does or does not always work in a fight.

I have to qualify what I mean by "the ring": I mean all competitive fighting events in the world, including stuff like WTF TKD tournaments. I'm not wild about the TKD stance or their focus on head kicks; although head kicks obviously can be good in MMA or on the street, they tend to be a lower percentage technique. When it comes to mixed martial arts tournaments, I think that most or all things translate from the ring to the street, I just don't believe that the transition is 100%.

I'm not that experienced, so I could be wrong, but I'm not fond of anything that presents my groin to an opponent without my being able to punish it. I'm not talking about someone trying to punch my balls from under mount, because you can get an armbar from that or just stop them and move up to a higher mount, but there are times when I'm sparring where I feel as though I'm a little too exposed, usually in the groin and occasionally in the eyes, which is fine when training or in a competitive fight, but not so fine if some asshole just wanted to punch my nuts and knew what he was doing. My instructor also prefers that we defend against a low round kick with a cross-body shin block, instead of a same-side shin block, with the argument that if we're wrong about what the opponent is doing and they're actually throwing a front kick to the groin, the cross-body shin block keeps our groin a little bit more protected. This is supposed to not really be a problem in competition, although I have seen pretty much the exact scenario I described in the UFC, the only difference being that the groin shot was by mistake. I think my instructor's logic is sound, but I'm not discounting the usefulness of the same-side shin block because it feels faster and more natural to me.

Also, if I were fighting one dude and wanted to break his arm, I'd be totally down to go for the armbar (except that my armbars are not that good, but that's beside the point for this argument). If I knew for a fact that I were fighting a multiplicity of dudes because I could visually see and hear them, I'd probably be less inclined to go for an armbar and more inclined to use the stuff I've learned in Jiujitsu to either get back to a standing position and try and run away, or use the person I'm on the ground with as kind of a shield to make it harder for his homies to get a good strike off on me.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 3:11am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wanted clarification because even shitty krotty, TKD and Kung Fu works once in a while on the street.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 6:57pm

Style: beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand totally about sport versus street. Not all students are interested in ring competition either, including more older, retired students who just want to take classes. What I have been reading is some San soo schools have added grappling and judo type styles and it has filtered in as a new San soo vs the old style that Master Jimmy Woo taught. I also talked to some of the more advanced San soo students and many had had training in various other styles of MA as well. As I said I like all MA styles and like to catch ring matches when I can. StylesI forgot to mention one fact that I chose to learn about san soo vs the other MA styles. Too much wear and tear on my leg and lower back to learn kick boxing or TKD. I am better at upper body strength
    slowly getting more ability in my lower body and
    Last edited by allmastyles; 9/27/2012 7:13pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 7:12pm

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's a false dichotomy, you can do a "ring sport" without competing, just taking classes.
    also, having students that dabbled in other things doesn't help one bit.
    do whatever you feel like, but you're being an apologist and your arguments don't cut it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 7:30pm

Style: beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who's arguing? No debate on my end. I leave it up to anyone to choose their path what direction works out the best for them.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast