Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 6:32pm

Style: beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I've seen all the sansoo sucks, TKD, krav hype this and that, but it seems all MA styles are criticized about their weaknesses. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sell what I'm doing or it's a right style for others. It just seems a fit for me. As time moves on, I may look at other things. But anyway, I hope some other sansoo students might respond about what they're into. I'm definitely not a troll either, just here to learn and stuff like most of us. Styles

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by allmastyles View Post
    Yeah, I've seen all the sansoo sucks, TKD, krav hype this and that, but it seems all MA styles are criticized about their weaknesses.
    You could criticize a Ferrari and a Model T, but the takeaway lesson isn't that they're equal because both are criticized.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 6:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I wasn't torn down at all, no ego trips going' on either. I feel the instructor is also helping as a personal trainer. After no supervision in gyms and several injuries I got working out there, the instructor is aware of that. I feel I found someone who can offer me what I need and help me reach my goals a step at a time.

As I stated, I spent a long time going to various classes, checking out MA YouTube stuff, reading articles about various combat styles, knowing a few friends into sansoo and decided to give it a go.

Opinions vary about what direction to take on a MA study, my GOD, I get confused. It seems a new MA style makes an entrance almost monthly. I want hard ass training to push me into shape, it actually has gotten me motivated in other areas of my life's challenges.
    Last edited by allmastyles; 9/24/2012 6:45pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 6:41pm

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I've seen all the sansoo sucks, TKD, krav hype this and that, but it seems all MA styles are criticized about their weaknesses.
    sure man, whatever floats your boat. it's called YMAS for a reason but some styles, which you might not consider because they're not "self defense" are more respected than others. it's just that many on here would've appreciated being warned before wasting time and money on training.
    it wouldn't hurt informing yourself about such things as mc dojo's, training methods etc., try some more stuff and look at it very critically. this forum would be of great help for that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 6:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That might be a fact. Sansoo is not a ring kinda art. It's more designed for self defense, no question. But like any MA, to be good, you have to be in some kind of shape. This takes time. Personally I don't have the time to learn sport type MA, but if I had desire and the funds, it would cool to check out I'm sure. I guess I enjoy learning about all the MA styles and what is uniques about them all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 6:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I know all about the McDojo stuff, belt farms, etc. bad instructors. But I have no criticisms about any of the MA. There' s something out there for all of us. I have heard of some MA students who go through a variety of teachers, styles and classes before they find their fit. I maybe one of those types too in the future. I have to take one day at a time, one lesson at a time and see how I learn and develop. I'm feeling like people think what I'm doing is the wrong thing or studying the wrong thing. That maybe, who knows. But I have to go through the thing myself and see where it leads. Still hoping to hear from some other sansoo students, this is the right forum for that, right, or is there another one here on the site? Thanks
    Last edited by allmastyles; 9/24/2012 7:08pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 7:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The advantage of sport is that it keeps people honest as there is a clear measurement of skill. Not sport-oriented and effective MA's are very rare and hard to verify, this doesn't mean some secret knowledge, but aliveness in training and regular sparring.
    it's just one of many misconceptions with regards to MA's and it's better to know about it.
    if then you still want to do sansoo, at least it's a fully informed decision.

this thread should really be in newbtown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 7:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Still hoping to hear from some other sansoo students, this is the right forum for that, right, or is there another one here. Thanks
    perhaps, more chances at places who are not as clearly towards the aliveness side of things like martialarts planet.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    9/25/2012 6:12pm

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are many, many San Soo posts on Bullshido.

1,460 results just from popping it into Search Function.

You should read them all (or maybe at least a few dozen) then decide if it's what you really want.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/25/2012 6:56pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I waited.

Why do you need another student to reply? San Soo is not Judo, Boxing or BJJ because there are no orginizations that can qualify as governing boards. You can talk to a student who competes and NEVER get his type of training.

The last thing you want to do, on this forum, is skirt the ring vs street argument.
    That might be a fact. Sansoo is not a ring kinda art. It's more designed for self defense, no question. But like any MA, to be good, you have to be in some kind of shape. This takes time. Personally I don't have the time to learn sport type MA, but if I had desire and the funds, it would cool to check out I'm sure. I guess I enjoy learning about all the MA styles and what is uniques about them all.
    I'm debating on ripping this apart, but a huge portion is erroneous.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast