Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 5:34pm

Style: beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Began Sansoo Training As A Newbie

After checking out several MA schools in kempo, Kung fu, karate, tkd, judo, and Kung fu sansoo, I decided to begin private lessons with a very advanced sansoo master instructor that was a longtime student of Master Jimmy Woo.

I didn't go with a class yet because I wanted to see if this was something I could learn. After my first lesson, I can say I'm really out of shape and the hour lesson wore me to a frazzle. Am I'm glad it did.
    The master taught me enough stuff to work on for a month. I decided I need two lessons monthly to begin as a white belt.

Sansoo stresses more upper body work than kickboxing which many students already know, and because of years of dealing with sciatica, I found that I needed a style like this because I feel I have more control and strength waist up.

I have a long path ahead of me, but sansoo will definitely help me get in shape, no question, but all MA styles do that anyway.

The one thing though, is without a class, I have no sparring partners to work on my skills, so possibly the instructor can line me up with one of his white belts to work with me. I' m interested in learning more about sansoo from other students here and how you feel about the style. Thanks allmastyles

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by allmastyles View Post
    The master taught me enough stuff to work on for a month. I decided I need two lessons monthly to begin as a white belt.
    Are you training with a group class as well? Or is it just 2 privates a month? IMO that's pretty infrequent training, and even if you can practice on your own, you don't have a partner.

I have a long path ahead of me, but sansoo will definitely help me get in shape, no question, but all MA styles do that anyway.
    All MA styles do not do that, actually, as evidenced by corpulent high ranking teachers in a number of styles. They're all better than doing nothing, though. In what way is your training hard exercise? What sort of things do you work on? I suppose san soo could be taught/drilled athletically or more slowly and philosophically, depending on the teacher.

The one thing though, is without a class, I have no sparring partners to work on my skills, so possibly the instructor can line me up with one of his white belts to work with me. I' m interested in learning more about sansoo from other students here and how you feel about the style. Thanks allmastyles
    If you're getting out and doing something, I wouldn't want to discourage that. Absolutely get a training partner if you can.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 6:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, the things I'm working on are doing strenghtening exercises, balance, footwork, full contact punches, thrusts and blocks with the instructor holding pads. On the first punch I did, an ant would have survived. After he showed me how to throw a power punch, at the end of the lesson, I even amazed myself. This is where the one on one accelerated training came into play. But only lesson one. After I get some more lessons down, then I definitely need a training partner. What good is boxing without a boxing partner? Of course the same thing in any MA. I may choose to get into a class. The one on one training is good for me to see if I'll be committed.

But actually after a few weeks, basically I'm working to get into MA shape, I should be ready to start sparring. Are you into sansoo now? If not, what style or styles do you work on?

Thanks allmast
    Last edited by allmastyles; 9/24/2012 6:07pm at . Reason: Spelling

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 6:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually after a few weeks, basically I'm working to get into MA shape, I should be ready to begging sparring. Are you into sansoo now? If not, what style or styles do you work on now?

Thanks allmast
    -if you're really out of shape, a few weeks is probably a bit too ambitious to think you'll be in shape then, even with pretty extensive exercise.

-san soo is somewhat notorious for being "too deadly to spar", as they say. Does your school spar regularly, and what does sparring entail?

-even if they do spar, they might not have you doing so after a few weeks

-I do not do san soo, but I've seen plenty of videos and a few years ago I received a black sash in a sort of choy li fut/kempo hybrid.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 6:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    -san soo is somewhat notorious for being "too deadly to spar", as they say.
    The wiki version is phrased thus:
    "Due to the difficulty of executing techniques with enough control to avoid injury, there are no competitions or tournaments for San Soo Kung Fu."*
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/24/2012 6:11pm at . Reason: *WTF?

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 6:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    The wiki version is phrased thus:
    "Due to the difficulty of executing techniques with enough control to avoid injury, there are no competitions or tournaments for San Soo Kung Fu."*
    I think it also has to do with their focus on autokinematics/spinal reflexes, or whatever they're calling it. The idea that when you hit someone here, they do this, so you do this, which opens up this, etc. As I understand it, its a key thing in their training, and it doesn't really lend itself to sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 6:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, you're probably right about the shape issue. Possible a few months. I was going to join a gym to get into shape, but the sansoo training seems to be helping me feel stronger and better in the morning. Since I' m not into sport MA, only CQ styles, keysi, krav maga, jeet kun do, sambo , sansoo fits into what I want to learn, beginning self defense. But of course there are many other styles that teach that as well. Sansoo is also a hobby for me, a physical form to get my ass off the couch and getting into movement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 6:24pm

Style: Striking, grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sansoo sucks, use the search function.
    we've had in recent times a lying troll and a wannabe lawyer "master" threatning on here.
    do something cool, like sanshou, sounds the same but is fuckin' awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 6:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen two types of sansoo sparring. Slow motion type to learn each technique until you can pull it off without thinking, a reflex action and full contact with heavy padding. Injuries do happen in sansoo classes, I' m sure as common as other MA classes. Sansoo is not well known. My two neighbors were doing it and I enjoyed watching their workouts. It was something I wanted to do, but honestly it seemed to complex for a beginner like me to even try. But I feel I have a great teacher and he knew where to start me after he watched me throw my wimpy punches and kicks, embarrassing I must say. But he got me on the right path with all the homework I have to do.

Posted On:
    9/24/2012 6:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    sansoo sucks, use the search function.
    we've had in recent times a lying troll and a wannabe lawyer "master" threatning on here.
    do something cool, like sanshou, sounds the same but is fuckin' awesome.
    I would also recommend sanshou over san soo for getting in shape and for getting in fights, generally speaking, but san soo can be a wild card and maybe he's got a teacher with his head out of his butt.

But I feel I have a great teacher and he knew where to start me after he watched me throw my wimpy punches and kicks, embarrassing I must say. But he got me on the right path with all the homework I have to do.
    I'm not sure I like this, because there's a sort of Mcdojo tactic where a teacher makes his own teachings seem better than they are by comparing them to a student who has never done anything like that before. So, its easy to make oneself appear awesome at martial arts when comparing it to nothing. Not saying that this is necessarily what's going on here, but generally I don't approve of training where step 1 is to tear down the student (but even that is necessary sometimes). The main reason I don't really approve of it is that it suggests that the teacher is needy for approval and thus possibly insecure in what they teach. A good teacher just jumps right into what the students should be doing and doesn't waste class time on self validation.

Again, not saying this is happening here, just a though.
    Last edited by Permalost; 9/24/2012 6:32pm at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast