Page 2 of 2 First 12

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbalt View Post
    -Judo: focuses on takedowns and throws. Has some overlap with BJJ but focuses on the standing up aspect. Will help my goju and strengthen my standing up defence; however I'm not sure how it will fair in a realistic street scenario. Both originate from Japan, which seems desirable when paired together.
    I hope you understand why the bolded part is funny to me.

Judo trains in an alive manner, and conditions you realistically for what fighting in self-defence situations is like. You have stated that your Goju does not. In any case, Judo has more than proven itself in "teh street" and I imagine that it would compliment Goju the best.

As for becoming the best fighter you can be, however.. Try out the striking arts at the gym. Keep your mind open. Be willing to give Muay Thai a real shot, you'll become a much better fighter for it.

Not to say that there aren't worthwhile techniques in your current art: it's just that, the way you've been training them, they won't be any use when you need them most. Once you understand what real sparring is like, you'll begin to be able to pick and choose what actually works from your karate.

Style
    Goju-ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll definite give them both a go, same goes for the others. The place offers a week introductory session where you test out each of the arts. I'm sure if a single lesson is sufficient to form a conclusion, but it wouldn't hurt.

As for Goju, I was bumped up to a more advanced class. The students there seem more serious about their training and actually go for the strike in bunkai. Not on par with actual sparring but I still like it.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its still not sparring and therefore you are still learning how to swim by walking around circling your arms in the air and moving your head side to side.

Style
    Goju-ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm aware of that yes. While I do want to become a better fighter, I still enjoy the "arts" aspect of karate (by arts I mean performance. I don't know whether that is the literal meaning but I'll assume you understand what I mean). Bunkai and Kata are still enjoyable, even though it doesn't simulate a fight like a sparring session would. At the very least, it is a step above what I was doing before.
    Last edited by Colbalt; 9/26/2012 7:44am at .

Style
    Humbleness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbalt View Post
    I'm aware of that yes. While I do want to become a better fighter, I still enjoy the "arts" aspect of karate (by arts I mean performance. I don't know whether that is the literal meaning but I'll assume you understand what I mean). Bunkai and Kata are still enjoyable, even though it doesn't simulate a fight like a sparring session would. At the very least, it is a step above what I was doing before.
    My cousin also enjoyed the "arts" part of Martial arts

As you can see Traditional Karate has a few shortcomings when faced with a Hard sparring Sport like Muay thai

Hands down you get punched in the face
    Wide stance you get lowkicked
    No defense vs Clinch or Throws

But if you trained a alive art as people have told you could use your good reflexes from point sparring, a couple of kicks you have learned and more on the sparring and adapt them to a harder level of contact

Funny the MMA guy is also a Goju Black belt, Maybe is your destiny too?
    Last edited by RurikGreenwulf; 9/26/2012 6:47pm at .

Style
    Goju-ryu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha. Maybe man, maybe.

Page 2 of 2 First 12