Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2012 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

keys to being a clinch fighter?

What's in your opinion the main keys to being a good clinch fighter? (muay thai)
    Ive been focusing more on the clinch lately and just wanted to see other fellow thai fighters input on what's essential to have or any good tips/advice.
    Thank you

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2012 3:57pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shs101 View Post
    What's in your opinion the main keys to being a good clinch fighter? (muay thai)
    Ive been focusing more on the clinch lately and just wanted to see other fellow thai fighters input on what's essential to have or any good tips/advice.
    Thank you
    IMO (I've been doing clinch for about 4 years), there are a couple key things you want to focus on:

RELAX - the last thing you want to do is tense up, for a few reasons. One, when you start incorporating clinch into your overall MT game, this is when you can catch a breath. Second, keeping the body relaxed will make you much harder to read. Once you get decent at clinch, you will read your tensed-up training partners like a book. Very important to stay loose when you're in clinch.

Clinch with people that are better than you. As I'm sure you know, for the first few months you train clinch, you are going to get manhandled. Seriously butthurt. This can be frustrating, but you'll benefit soon enough. You'll develop a sense of urgency when it comes to your defense, and you'll need to develop a good defense against people who know what they're doing. In clinch, like in grappling, the techniques either definitely work or they definitely don't, so every technique has (at least) one defense that will properly defend or counter. of course, clinch with your equals too so you can try new things, but you will learn a lot from your senior classmates.

Don't get comfortable. Always stay working. If there's a lull in positioning, stay busy with knees. You have your knees to distract or set up, and your knees that are going to hurt. Great advice from my instructors is to not get comfortable with your specific wheelhouse of techniques. It's good to know your strengths, but focus on branching out. Train the techniques that are always getting YOUR head pulled down or YOUR ribs pulverized. This ties back to training with people that are better than you.

That's all I have for now. As you may have seen in fights, the difference between those who know clinch, and those who don't, is VERY apparent when the quarters get close. If you don't know clinch and the other guy does, you are f*cked.

Good luck!

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/26/2012 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    really cant stress the relax part enough.

also, do it with bigger stronger people as much as you can. i spent my formative muay thai years being the skinny white kid in a school full mostly of big islanders, and i have never lost a clinch battle with someone my own size.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2012 4:17pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    really cant stress the relax part enough.

also, do it with bigger stronger people as much as you can. i spent my formative muay thai years being the skinny white kid in a school full mostly of big islanders, and i have never lost a clinch battle with someone my own size.
    This. Super super important point I missed, thanks Alex. You'll know you're doing it right if it works on someone bigger (and stronger) than you.

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 12:16am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Relaxing really is the first step to doing anything else well in the clinch. Staying tense and trying to muscle everything will get you tired, and it doesn't work with people who really know what they're doing.

Stay busy, but don't get stupid. If your head is getting pulled off your shoulders or you're completely locked up, you need to focus on improving your position and regaining control, not throwing piddly little shots that won't do anything but give them more openings to trip or throw you, or crush your guts. Anyone with any experience will take five ineffectual little slap knees happily if it gives them an opening to drill you in the liver. Kickpuncher is correct in saying that you have "diversion" knees and "damage" knees, but throwing when you're completely controlled by your opponent will get you neither.

I've seen a bunch of fights with a clear disparity in clinching skill, and the person who sucked at it had obviously been trained in a manner where "keep working" meant "you must be throwing knees at all times whenever you're in the clinch", which is a bad idea that will gas you out and get you beat down. You know how BJJ'ers always go on about "position before submission"? Same deal here.

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 3:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although the best way to prepare for something is to actually practise it, there are things you can do to make your clinch a winning experience.

As soon as they're in clinching range, a lot of fighters start thinking 'upstairs' too much. While nobody suggests you ignore elbows headed for your jaw, too little emphasis is often placed on the base. Really, one can only really relax--only avoid being a nerveball in the clinch--if one has a well-conditioned base, stable when need be and mobile when that's best.

Everything else is built on that, and being ready there is also a boost to the confidence. Everyone has their base-related workout; spend more time on that between sparring sessions. The rest--practised properly of course--will fall into place with the sparring.

Posted On:
    9/29/2012 1:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Jud

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the posts above have pretty much answered your question: relax is the key. Most people get into the clinch and they believe they are thinking clearly but are actually in the ''fight or flight" mode. This will kill your flow and cut down on your options.

Posted On:
    10/02/2012 3:07am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Download Malaipet's clinch video and work on some of the basics. If you are asking how to get better chances are you are at a school which has a low clinch level.

I KO'd two people with Malaipet's technique (drilled it every night for 2 months). Probably common knowledge at other schools but at mine clinch consisted of "get the plumb and throw more knees than the other guy".
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    10/25/2012 1:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed Martail Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the words of wisdom!